X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using THWN vs PV for my home run

Hi all! I've been trying to research and find out what the difference is between using THWN wire for my home run vs PV wire. There is roughly 150 feet between my solar panels and the spot on my out building where the inverters and electric box are. I'll be using the PV cable to hook my panels up together. When I price out the wire, I can find PV wire for $0.21 a ft, and THWN wire for about $0.18 a ft. So, I do see a little price difference here, but nothing that seems outrageously different.
    From my research, it seems like the consensus is to switch from PV to THWN right at the panels and then use the THWN for the run? Is this so? If so, is there a reason for this? Is it just because of costs? Or, is there something else that I may be missing, like, maybe PV wire cannot be run in a conduit? Any help or guidance you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated!!!

My reason to use THWN was for conduit sizing. PV wire has a thicker insulation so it would take more space in the conduit.

Comment

When the home run is through the attic or interior, PV wire isn't rated for interior use. In your case, with only an exterior run, if the PV wire fits in the conduit and you'd rather not transition, then go for it.

What size THWN-2 are you using? You can sometimes get a good price for a spool on ebay.
      CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Originally posted by sensij View Post
        When the home run is through the attic or interior, PV wire isn't rated for interior use. In your case, with only an exterior run, if the PV wire fits in the conduit and you'd rather not transition, then go for it.

What size THWN-2 are you using? You can sometimes get a good price for a spool on ebay.
        and no sharp bends I guess- can't imagine pulling PV through 90 deg elbow.

Comment

Another advantage of THWN-2 - Southwire Simpull. Amazing low friction to pull and no pull lube. And check Home Depot - they sell larger rolls in a surprising large number of sizes for very attractive prices - have them shipped to the store and pick it up there.

Comment

Originally posted by tyab View Post
            And check Home Depot - they sell larger rolls in a surprising large number of sizes for very attractive prices - have them shipped to the store and pick it up there.
            Just be careful to double check the rating. The stuff at home Depot (and Lowe's) is thwn-2 for 8 awg and heavier, but only thwn on 10 awg and lighter.
            CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Working...
            X