X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • slightly85
    • Sep 2017

Enphase Envoy needed?

I am about to install my solar system and I had a question about the Enphase micro inverters. I am using IQ-6 inverters, do they need to be connected to the "Enphase IQ Envoy ENV-IQ-AM1-240" to operate correctly, or can i just tie them directly to my sub panel breaker? Link here: http://www.solarpanelstore.com/solar-power/enphase_micro_inverters/enphase_accessories/enphase_iq_envoy.html
    Second, is there a cheaper alternative to monitor my solar output? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
  • NEOH
    Solar Fanatic
    • Nov 2010

http://forum.solar-electric.com/disc...envoy-required

The IQ Envoy operates as a gateway between the Enphase devices and Enlighten, using precision Current
    Transformers (CTs) to measure PV production and home energy consumption. It collects energy and
    performance data from the PV system over on-site AC power lines, and it forwards that data to Enlighten, via
    the Internet, for statistical reporting.
    Last edited by NEOH; 09-28-2017, 08:13 AM.

Comment

• slightly85
      • Sep 2017

I am completely aware of what it is, i want to know if it is necessary for the micro inverters to operate?

Comment

• Whalepod
        • Oct 2015

Originally posted by slightly85
        I am completely aware of what it is, i want to know if it is necessary for the micro inverters to operate?
        No. The Envoy is not required for micros to operate. They just won't have a way of reporting back to Enlighten, so you won't be able to track production via Enlighten. Also, some third party funding sources require (Sunrun, I'm looking at you...) that unique Envoy reports for each Enphase system commissioned.

If you own it yourself you get to decide how much production and inverter level monitoring is worth to you. The IQ series has an Envoy and AC Combiner that you wire inline with the solar circuit, which is the way I prefer to install... but if you decide later down the road that you do want monitoring you can always purchase the Envoy without the AC combiner, attach it into your own custom enclosure inside the house, and land a lamp cord with a 2 prong AC plug onto the appropriate terminals in the Envoy and just plug it (almost) where ever you want. You'll just need to setup the Envoy to connect to your home Wifi network via the Enlighten Tool kit, create an account on MyEnlighten, and associate it with the serial number of your Envoy.

Comment

• inspron
          • Aug 2017

Originally posted by slightly85
          No.

I am going the same route, my installer is also installing a IQ6 micros and 7 panels at my parents without the Envoy to save $300. I or the installer will install this $14 module: https://www.banggood.com/100A-AC260V...l?rmmds=search

Does exactly what the basic Envoy can do. Presents to you the instantaneous output and output over time. The poor man's envoy offline Envoy

Comment

• ButchDeal
            Solar Fanatic
            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by inspron
            Does exactly what the basic Envoy can do. Presents to you the instantaneous output and output over time. The poor man's envoy offline Envoy
            Well not quite.

Envoy tells you :
            production of each micro inverter
            over the internet
            and uploads firmware and configuration to the micros

your meter will tell you the total production only and only locally not on the internet.
            OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• AzRoute66
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jul 2017

I have a couple of the DC versions burning in on the bench about 4 weeks now. Happy with the accuracy, but one of the two originals died on Day 2 and was replaced via Amazon. They are being sold under multiple brand names. Everything I wanted except data logging, but at that price I'm OK with that.

The meter panel mount clips are very shallow, as is the bezel. If you mount them in a box or on a panel, please let me know what you used. I sure wish they would supply a panel thin enough and already cut out, would have paid the extra.

Comment

• tyab
                Solar Fanatic
                • Sep 2016

Butch stated it perfectly - that without the Envoy - the microinverters cannot get any firmware updates nor grid profile updates. Mostly likely not that big of an issue since the IQ series is new and should come with the latest firmware and grid profiles but just pointing it out - the Envoy is the device that will push firmware and grid profiles to the micros. And without any per module reporting *if* you have some sort of future microinverter problem it will be very hard to track it down. My take - your already spending the Enphase premium, so might as well get the basic Envoy simply for troubleshooting insurance.

Comment

• cebury
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by tyab
                  Butch stated it perfectly - that without the Envoy - the microinverters cannot get any firmware updates nor grid profile updates. Mostly likely not that big of an issue since the IQ series is new and should come with the latest firmware and grid profiles but just pointing it out - the Envoy is the device that will push firmware and grid profiles to the micros. And without any per module reporting *if* you have some sort of future microinverter problem it will be very hard to track it down. My take - your already spending the Enphase premium, so might as well get the basic Envoy simply for troubleshooting insurance.
                  I would lean opposite. Newer = will need firmware updates earlier on in its life. But dont know how committed Enphase is to their software life cycle improvements, especially these days.

You guys nailed it. The two are not the same, except for one very small feature set. But it can be considered the poor mans Envoy :-; no argument there.

Comment

• tyab
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Sep 2016

cebury - you brought up a great point I did not think about - since the IQ6 is new odds are they have *issues* to work out - so firmware upgrades may happen more often. Excellent point.
                    One other thing that may justify the cost of the Envoy to the OP is the ability to see how each micro is outputting in an interactive view. I found this highly useful to fully understand morning shading. Turns out I still have one tree at about 140' away and higher elevation that is causing some morning shading and I thought it would not effect the array (summer only). Also found another tree from a neighbor that is also causing morning shade but can't do anything about that. And a single panel is shaded in the morning by the erosion control retaining wall (nothing I can do about it). But at least I understand the shading issues much better.

Comment

Working...