X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• APS Meter Socket (Phoenix, AZ)

Has anybody specified a meter socket for APS on this forum? I am having a difficult time with the feedback that APS is giving me. I am fine on the electrical specifications but my supplier said they cannot supply a "ring type" meter for me. APS says they need a "form 2s" meter socket. The ring type seems easy enough but what is a "form 2s" meter socket and how do I ensure I have the right manufacturer/meter socket.

If the utility is requiring you to install the meter socket, one of your local electrical supply companies (like Summit or Graybar) probably have them in stock. If the suppliers won't sell to you, a local electrician will sell you one - of course they are likely to mark it up some. YMMV

Comment

This is the one I used for my APS production meter. They stock them at Home Depot.
      30 SW310XL SB7700
      20 SW320XL SB5000

Comment

The Home Depot Milbank meter cans can work, but if you look close at the terminal specs, they are for min. of 6awg wire which some AHJs might catch you on. We use Eaton model 011.
        BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

I bought one of those U7490's for my project - still have it in the box. My wire is 10AWG - should I return it and get something else like mentioned above?

Comment

#10 for a service entrance? A 30 amp service? That is extremely odd. Are you sure it is not #1/0?

Comment

Originally posted by DrLumen View Post
              #10 for a service entrance? A 30 amp service? That is extremely odd. Are you sure it is not #1/0?
              No APS requires on solar installs a dedicated solar meter which these "service entrance" meter cans are the least cost way to do it. Just have to make sure they can tolerate the smaller wire needed for solar.
              BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

Originally posted by solarix View Post

No APS requires on solar installs a dedicated solar meter which these "service entrance" meter cans are the least cost way to do it. Just have to make sure they can tolerate the smaller wire needed for solar.
                Are you sure they don't just require a revenue grade production meter?
                OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Originally posted by solarix View Post

Ahh, I guess that makes sense. Utilities are a strange beast. The meter specs says the lugs are for #6 - 2/0. I guess they could strip off a few inches of the #10 and wad it up in the lug. I didn't say that. </whistles while wandering away>
                  Last edited by DrLumen; 10-02-2017, 05:22 PM.

Comment

I just looked in the Millbank catalog and they seem to use a #6 in almost all of their meter products... even the "solar rated" U5929XL.
                    However, they do show that the U7490-YL-TG-5T (5 Terminal) will accept 12 AWG (they don't list U7490-RL-TG - Just YL-TG so maybe that R is a BigBox designation?)

Added info... Looking at their cut sheet for the U5929XL it states that the minimum wire is 14AWG ! Conflicting info in different places- so whats new?
                    Last edited by Syberdog; 10-03-2017, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X