Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What size Transformer and Line doesElectric company need to install for a 15kw system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by solarix View Post
    I see a lot of high end homes in my area that have 400A services. They don't necessarily use that much power but they have way too many branch circuits for a 200A panel.
    The original poster said the 400A service is going to a barn. I don't see it having enough circuits for a 200A panel. But it's not my house, so more power to them if they want 400A service.
    8.6 kWp roof (SE 7600 and 28 panels)

Comment

Originally posted by foo1bar View Post

Square-D disagrees with you.
      Model # SU3040D400CB
      "Homeline 400 Amp 30-Space 40-Circuit Main Breaker Outdoor Combo Surface Mount CSED"
      "For residential and commercial power distribution"

Numerous power companies disagree that it's not considered residential.
      I could have installed a 400A service here in suburbia (I don't think theyd do larger than 400A - but they could do 400A)
      Or a larger POCO - SCE - see page 3-25 (page 105) "Meter Panel for Single-Family Residential Underground Service
      I don't care what Sq D calls their product, a normal residential panel is no more than 200amps. And that has become even more of the standard due to the higher efficient appliances and lighting now being used in a home.

Sure you can install a bigger one if the loads require it but a 200amp will be more than enough for a home.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

I don't care what Sq D calls their product, a normal residential panel is no more than 200amps. And that has become even more of the standard due to the higher efficient appliances and lighting now being used in a home.
        "a normal residential panel is no more than 200amp"
        is a very different statement than:
        " 400 amp service is not considered to be a residential panel size."

I would agree that the normal/typical residential panel/service is 100A or 200A (Then there's the less common cases of 60A(old services), 125A, 150A, 300A, and 400A)
        The less common case of 400A panels being used for residential DOES EXIST.
        And they ARE residential panels. The POCOs consider them to be residential and the equipment providers consider them to be residential. I'm not sure what other authority there is that would convince you. You haven't shown anything documentation that shows that the 400A panels are not residential.
        Maybe your POCO doesn't allow 400A for residential - any individual POCO certainly can make rules like that. But that doesn't mean the 400A residential service isn't available to the OP, which is what you seem to be trying to imply.

Sure you can install a bigger one if the loads require it but a 200amp usually will be more than enough for a home.
        FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by foo1bar View Post

"a normal residential panel is no more than 200amp"
          is a very different statement than:
          " 400 amp service is not considered to be a residential panel size."

I would agree that the normal/typical residential panel/service is 100A or 200A (Then there's the less common cases of 60A(old services), 125A, 150A, 300A, and 400A)
          The less common case of 400A panels being used for residential DOES EXIST.
          And they ARE residential panels. The POCOs consider them to be residential and the equipment providers consider them to be residential. I'm not sure what other authority there is that would convince you. You haven't shown anything documentation that shows that the 400A panels are not residential.
          Maybe your POCO doesn't allow 400A for residential - any individual POCO certainly can make rules like that. But that doesn't mean the 400A residential service isn't available to the OP, which is what you seem to be trying to imply.

FTFY
          I never said the OP couldn't get a 400amp service or that anyone can't if there is a justified reason for that much power distribution.

IMO anything more than 200 amps is not a standard residential rated panel. Something sized at 400amp is huge and unless you live in an area that has 5000 sq ft homes I would say 200 amp is standard.

It's a mute point to continue to argue this topic.

I still think the OP is going about this backwards and without any formal electrical design which is short sighted. Especially if they have to ask for help on this forum. They should really be asking their AHJ and POCO.

Comment

I thought it would be worth mentioning why I needed 400 amps..... I thought I would be pushing a 200 amp system if I needed 50 amps to charge and run my 40 foot motorhome if needed. I also am starting to weld. And I have a Car lift in the garage. So I basically needed 150-200 amps to run my house, and thought I would run over with the welder and RV charger and car lift. The power company will give me a $23,000 allowance for what I need (14k for the house and 9k for the garage) They want to give me a 25kva transformer and MAKE ME responsible if I blow it.............. I am trying to come up with some INFORMATION without hiring a Contractor to come up with drawings, and was HOPING someone could give me enough info to Warrant asking for a bigger transformer and wire...... They are HOPING I just go with them and ask for a 25 KVA transformer and 350MCM line............ but I wanted to UPGRADE to the 50-100 KVA transformer and the 750 line but need enough knowledge to ASK for it.

Comment

If the "power" goes out for 4 or 5 days, I WONT be using a welder, car lift, and other LUXURIES that might need more than 200 amp systemI can use while I am hooked to the GRID.

Comment

Originally posted by mrrrkva View Post
                [...] I am trying to come up with some INFORMATION without hiring a Contractor to come up with drawings, and was HOPING someone could give me enough info to Warrant asking for a bigger transformer and wire.[...]
                I think that is substantially different than how this all started way back when. Not any less interesting, just different. I don't think your planned solar array will provide the leverage you seek.
                Last edited by AzRoute66; 09-17-2017, 03:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AzRoute66 View Post

I think that is substantially different than how this all started way back when. Not any less interesting, just different. I don't think your planned solar array will provide the leverage you seek.
                  I'm still trying to recall or understand what we are trying to do with this system.

Did we ever hear:

a) Is NET metering available? If yes, does the utility allow virtual NET metering as it looks like there are two meters (200A service to house, 400A service to barn)?
                  b) What is the estimated annual kWh consumption?
                  c) What is the price of electricity from the utility?

Granted I am in San Diego, but my 8K DC array yields (estimated) 13,800 kWh per year, so extrapolate this out to a 15K DC system and that's a lot of kWh per year for a 2800 sq ft new construction ICF house. Sure, charging the 40 foot motorhome and welding may be too much for 200A to the barn (but I don't personally think so), but I'm still at a loss on how 20,000 to 25,000 kWh is going to be used annually. And then even if all of that would be used, is the investment worth it given the payback (i.e. is it SDGE crazy rates or Texas why put in solar rates).

Comment

The power company will give me a $23,000 allowance for what I need (14k for the house and 9k for the garage).
                    On a side note, I'm jealous. I'm working on getting power extended approximately 600 feet to my new property purchased and it's probably going to be between a 20K to 30K cost (that is likely going to be split between my neighbor who wants power also and myself).

Comment

BTW you can do a 15kw solar install with a 200a MSP. We have done several, all with line side taps of course.
                      OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Wow, so many DIFFERENT responses. Lets not get into the weeds. Main concern...... What transformer do I need? What size wire from the transformer to my fuse box................ Lets think in terms of BACK to the box................... Is 25KVA enough or should I bump up to 50 KVA or 100KVA? Im going to use ALOT of power AT TIMES............. BUT dont need it all the times. My Panels arent going to take care of me when I am welding and charging the RV all the time. BUt I do get Net metering ............... SO, I can make up for it. Bottom line, I wont be doing those things when the power is out and I need to power the home............. The MAIN question, is what size transformer will I need to tell the electric company to bring me, and what wire size....... Lets not debate whether I need a 400 amp service or not. You guys are GREAT information sources.......

Comment

Wow, so many DIFFERENT responses. Lets not get into the weeds. Main concern...... What transformer do I need? What size wire from the transformer to my fuse box................ Lets think in terms of BACK to the box................... Is 25KVA enough or should I bump up to 50 KVA or 100KVA? Im going to use ALOT of power AT TIMES............. BUT dont need it all the times. My Panels arent going to take care of me when I am welding and charging the RV all the time. BUt I do get Net metering ............... SO, I can make up for it. Bottom line, I wont be doing those things when the power is out and I need to power the home............. The MAIN question, is what size transformer will I need to tell the electric company to bring me, and what wire size....... Lets not debate whether I need a 400 amp service or not. You guys are GREAT information sources.......
                          A POCO will provide you with a transformer that meets your needs. Usually that info is provided to them from a set of engineered drawings listing your total loads and diversity factor which could be 80% or 50%.

Once the POCO has determine the transformer size they will tell you what size wire they will be bringing in from it to your service meter. I seriously doubt any POCO will listen to a home owner concerning transformer and wire size without that home owner either being a PE or having the certification to provide engineering data.

Comment

No POCO ever needs to be told what wire size to use. They are very capable to know what size to use once the required transformer size is known.

Where is the electrical contractor doing the service install's input?
                            Last edited by neweclipse; 09-19-2017, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X