X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • inspron
    • Aug 2017

Tapping AC line going to the inverter from the main breaker panel

My inverter is mounted on a shaded side of the house and is about 20' away from the main breaker. There's no other AC outlet anywhere nearby and it would save me a lot of work running conduits. I would like to install a 110v outlet at that location to power security cameras that hardly use any power.

Would this create any imbalance between lead 1 and 2? or anything else I need to worry about?
  • solarix
    Super Moderator
    • Apr 2015

As a practical matter, you could tap the line, however no building inspector is going to go for that. The inverter is supposed to be on a dedicated branch circuit. If you have an AC disconnect or a dedicated PV meter on the inverter, then having a load on that circuit is going to be a problem. Don't be lazy, do the right thing and have a separate circuit for the outlet.
    BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• inspron
      • Aug 2017

Currently: Main Panel <30A breaker> <AC Disconnect Fuse> Inverter. (One meter)
      To: Main Panel <30A breaker> <AC Disconnect Fuse> Inverter & <10A Fuse> IP Camera that could draw 240v at .1A at most.

Comment

• sensij
        Solar Fanatic
        • Sep 2014

I've tapped one leg of the AC line into one of my inverters (with an appropriate in-line fuse) to operate a revenue grade meter and communication hardware. On another inverter, doing this let me tuck a wireless bridge right into the disconnect enclosure. Not per code, but not a violation over which I'm losing any sleep.
        CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• foo1bar
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2014

Originally posted by inspron
          ... to power security cameras that hardly use any power.
          Run CAT5 and ues PoE cameras. No conduit necessary

Comment

• inspron
            • Aug 2017

Originally posted by sensij
            I've tapped one leg of the AC line into one of my inverters (with an appropriate in-line fuse) to operate a revenue grade meter and communication hardware. On another inverter, doing this let me tuck a wireless bridge right into the disconnect enclosure. Not per code, but not a violation over which I'm losing any sleep.
            Thanks! This is what I wanted to do. Mainly to tap power for a POE 4 port switch + power line ethernet (connect cameras & inverter communications) + IP Cameras via Cat 5

Comment

• tyab
              Solar Fanatic
              • Sep 2016

You are essentially doing a feeder tap. There are very specific rules on how to do this safely, start by looking at NEC 240.21. Don't forget you have two sources and need to take that into account in the calculations. This is potentially very unsafe if those rules are not followed and can lead to fire and most likely any damage caused will not be covered by insurance. Is the $100 you are saving by not taking the time/effort to run a separate circuit there worth that and the safety of your home and family?

Comment

Working...