X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meter running backward

I finally have my meter running backward.

Was able to grid tie and back-feed breaker box.

MOD NOTE. Deleted illegal grid tie video
    Last edited by SunEagle; 08-04-2017, 09:38 PM. Reason: deleted video due to illtegal activity

I watched your video. It looks like this is all being done as a test. No permit, no permission to operate. It may work, but your utility can see that it is being done. Done long enough, or with more panels, you will hear from them. If something goes wrong and a fire starts, you will have no insurance coverage.
    8.6 kWp roof (SE 7600 and 28 panels)

Comment

I asked for some help a couple of months ago and everyone was very rude. Just wanted to show I figured it out on my own. I will continue to add panels and I am not worried about the power company showing up.

All of you are the same. You want DIY people to pay experts when there is no need.

Comment

Would you help a drunk get into his car and get it started for his drive home ? If we knowingly gave advice on unsafe &/or illegal connections, we could be in a world of hurt too,

But in a couple months, you have seen that we help with PV/Battery/Load sizing selection, good practice Array mounting, overcurrent protection for wires, and overall fire safety. But no help for guerilla gridtie.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

I looked up the old thread. You apparently missed the point where multiple people, several who have done DIY, tried to offer advise.

Stating facts does not make a reply rude -- I do not believe I was rude with my reply, but you are certainly entitled to take it that way.

This site is not anti DIY.

It is anti doing stuff outside of AHJ or POCO rules, and for good reason.

Good luck.
          8.6 kWp roof (SE 7600 and 28 panels)

Comment

Originally posted by crender2000 View Post
            I asked for some help a couple of months ago and everyone was very rude. Just wanted to show I figured it out on my own. I will continue to add panels and I am not worried about the power company showing up.

All of you are the same. You want DIY people to pay experts when there is no need.
            Not true- I am DIY, got a lot of help here and I got PTO from my utility 2 weeks ago. May be you went about it in a wrong way? Hey, just using Google over this site without even asking anything already provides plenty of info.

Just FYI modern utility meters collect usage data on at least 15 min interval and send it wirelessly over to utility. Why ask for trouble?

Besides, my county (Orange, CA) and utility (SCE) were fairly OK to work with- you just need patience and will to learn what are they looking for, nobody was personally against me. I did hear the comment: "why don't you just hire someone to do this?" over practically completed system but I didn't answer that and simply fixed outstanding issues and passed inspection next time. All you need is to grow some skin and realize AHJ is not there to educate or insult you, they're trying to enforce certain rules which were deemed to result in the safe installation. If I were you I'd take interest in what they're after. You can probably pay them a visit and I'm sure someone would help you out, they are not evil. That would be my next step but it never reached that point.

Comment

https://youtu.be/W3_82-T2XeM
              Technically it is definitely possible. I was so damn tempted to go this route. Contemplate about it for months too. I wanted to do a DIY solar to cover my "base load" only. That way no back-feeding and no POCO to be up in my business.

In the end, common sense prevailed and I went with a "professional system".

Main reasons:
              1. If/when the power goes out, you could create a life-threatening situation for first responder and linesmen. Not worth being cheap now only to kill someone in the process and deal with the liability.
              2. DIY system savings isn't worth it if I am only covering the base load.
              3. ***And this should be your main consideration*** Missing out on Net Metering. I WANT POCO to pay me retail rates during peak hours generation (53 cents) to off set my much cheaper consumption during off peak hours (19 cents). Essentially, I could consume over 2x of what I generate during the day later in the evening. You can't enjoy this benefit with a DIY system - legality aside.
              Last edited by inspron; 08-04-2017, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by inspron View Post

Technically it is definitely possible. I was so damn tempted to go this route. Contemplate about it for months too. I wanted to do a DIY solar to cover my "base load" only. That way no back-feeding and no POCO to be up in my business.

In the end, common sense prevailed and I went with a "professional system".

Main reasons:
                1. If/when the power goes out, you could create a life-threatening situation for first responder and linesmen. Not worth being cheap now only to kill someone in the process and deal with the liability.
                2. DIY system savings isn't worth it if I am only covering the base load.
                3. ***And this should be your main consideration*** Missing out on Net Metering. I WANT POCO to pay me retail rates during peak hours generation (53 cents) to off set my much cheaper consumption during off peak hours (19 cents). Essentially, I could consume over 2x of what I generate during the day later in the evening. You can't enjoy this benefit with a DIY system - legality aside.
                As max2k wrote, DIY can be done legally, with proper Poco interconnect. Let's not paint all DIY with the same brush...
                CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

https://youtu.be/W3_82-T2XeM
                  It doesn't look like you got a permit or an interconnect for that. It also looks like you are telling others to to the same without telling em that it is illegal or that it may not work for them.
                  what a jerk you are.
                  OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Did not take long for ButchDale to become rude. First off, you have no idea if I have a permit or not. Secondly, it will work for anyone. Backfeeding electricity into your breaker-box will work for anyone in the United States. It only takes two hot wires, a neutral wire, and a ground.

Save your money bolt the panels down yourself and run the wires yourself.

Comment

Did not take long for ButchDale to become rude. First off, you have no idea if I have a permit or not. Secondly, it will work for anyone. Backfeeding electricity into your breaker-box will work for anyone in the United States. It only takes two hot wires, a neutral wire, and a ground.

There no labels indicating you have permit and interconnect, or solar power, or where the disconnect is located.
                      all meters do NOT automatically turn back without interconnect, especially digital ones.

I and lots of others have done a Legal DIY with permit and interconnect.

So so you claim that it works for anyone and assert that you know what you are talking about but it is clear you do not and are in fact wrong.
                      I call giving bad advise rude. I just called you out on it and you don't like it.

And it is Deal note Dale!
                      Last edited by ButchDeal; 08-04-2017, 09:44 PM.
                      OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

He is right and I hate to do this but you'e wrong: there's no conspiracy against DIY as you imply, it is doable the legal way. All you need is just a bit of patience and common sense, no need for any drama.

Comment

I will not stand by and allow someone to boast about installing an illegal grid tie system. So the OP was given a short vacation. If he comes back and continues to post similar videos he will be permanently gone.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
                            I will not stand by and allow someone to boast about installing an illegal grid tie system. So the OP was given a short vacation. If he comes back and continues to post similar videos he will be permanently gone.
                            I fully support that (coming from me?)- it is plain stupid to advertise illegal way when legal one is readily available. Ppl just need to get their end goals straight.

Comment

And what he did is so basic that nobody questioned that it couldn't be done. The wiring is not rocket science. The advice giving was all very practical, with safety being the most critical of reasons for not doing what he has done. Breaking laws and sharing with the world is not a wise move either.

Comment

Working...
                              X