X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just get a new 3.9 kw solar system

I'm pretty new to solar. My system will be installed in 2 weeks. I have done research about this system for the last two years, and I decided to pull the trigger on a solaredge storedge 7600 inverters with 13 Qcell qpeak g4 300-watt panels. I opted into the solaredge storedge meter even though the salesman said I had a buy it on my own. I thought I was hilarious that I knew more about solar systems than the salesman I spent four months calling around and doing the research but I'm happy that I finally bought the system. I know about all the issues with my local utility which is APS here in Arizona. What should I be aware of going to solar other than my utility issue?.

Originally posted by thekingda6 View Post
    I'm pretty new to solar. My system will be installed in 2 weeks. I have done research about this system for the last two years, and I decided to pull the trigger on a solaredge storedge 7600 inverters with 13 Qcell qpeak g4 300-watt panels. I opted into the solaredge storedge meter even though the salesman said I had a buy it on my own. I thought I was hilarious that I knew more about solar systems than the salesman I spent four months calling around and doing the research but I'm happy that I finally bought the system. I know about all the issues with my local utility which is APS here in Arizona. What should I be aware of going to solar other than my utility issue?.
    why so huge mismatch between numbers: inverter 7,600 W, panels 13x300 = 3,900W ? Are you going to have 2 strings 13 panels each?

Comment

Originally posted by max2k View Post

why so huge mismatch between numbers: inverter 7,600 W, panels 13x300 = 3,900W ? Are you going to have 2 strings 13 panels each?
      my plan is to add an lg chem batteries and 10-14 more panels in 2 or 3 years. i need to pay this one hafy way down first.per the wifey.

Comment

I was thinking about smaller system before too, but after finding out you have to be on time of use rate structure instead of tiered rate structure I am currently on, it defeat all the purpose of having a smaller solar system. I believe in order for it to be cost effective, the system should be as close to your 100% consumption as possible. There are no incentive at all for oversized system since Utilities' company only pay around 2-3 cents per KWH and after the NBC, it means they pay you nothing for your excess electricity.-

Comment

my plan is to add an lg chem batteries and 10-14 more panels in 2 or 3 years. i need to pay this one hafy way down first.per the wifey.
          wouldn't such change require permit change + inspection? Please also make sure the wiring of the system and its connection to grid would meet that future plan. I believe AC part would meet automatically based on inverter's rated AC output but you need to come up with a way future panels will be installed so when the time comes it would only require additional panels/rails and not new conduits for example.

Comment

While you're at it, and after safety considerations for size increases with respect to wiring and other components, you may want to check with the POCO to see if there are upsizing limitations for existing systems.

Comment

I know little about this. What are the downsides to telling/showing/approving the full system then only installing a portion of it to start? Seems that the worst that could happen is that somebody says 'not what you were talking about before' and you say 'ran out of money' and the world moves on with hardly a ripple.

Comment

Originally posted by AzRoute66 View Post
                I know little about this. What are the downsides to telling/showing/approving the full system then only installing a portion of it to start? Seems that the worst that could happen is that somebody says 'not what you were talking about before' and you say 'ran out of money' and the world moves on with hardly a ripple.
                I'd run that idea by AHJ inspector's supervisor first- anything is possible but they are the ones who sign it at the end and only their point of view matters.

Comment

Originally posted by AzRoute66 View Post
                  worst is they reject it and you have to either built it as planned or
                  second worst you have to do an as built permit (more money), and hope that they approve what is built or it has to be corrected.
                  This is not an unlikely situation, it is the most likely situation. Building something other than what is permitted is not going to fly.

It doesn't help with latter expansion anyway as you still would need to do the new work under a new permit anyway.
                  OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

I didn't realize that you so much drama and adding more panels so I'm assuming the best option would be going with an LG Chem battery I just have to wait for the price to come down so it should be a lot cheaper in a few years I just have to go to Summer's here in Arizona and pray I don't get too fat with a demand fee.

Comment

this is how it should look.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I didn't realize that you so much drama and adding more panels so I'm assuming the best option would be going with an LG Chem battery I just have to wait for the price to come down so it should be a lot cheaper in a few years I just have to go to Summer's here in Arizona and pray I don't get too fat with a demand fee.
                        I don't see any drama here- BD stated as it is, that's all. The problem as i see is with insurance- in case your house goes down in flames insurance adjuster will look for anything to reduce their liability. It would work much better if everything was permitted/inspected/officially signed off. Unless you live in some rural area with no one around and ready to pay for your loss in that case knowing rules of the game would spare you from financial disaster.

There're also less severe but more likely scenarios:
                        - what happens when you want to sell your house?
                        - at least where I live there's steep fine for connecting anything 'custom' to the utility grid which exceeds multiple times cost of hardware. Unless you go off grid completely this would be the most likely outcome as utility reads power flow values several times an hour.
                        Last edited by max2k; 07-25-2017, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X