X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kny
    • Jul 2015

Price Comparison: Sunpower AC vs Sunpower DC + Optimizers + Inverter

I've got an installer pushing Sunpower AC modules.

How much lower per watt should I expect an offer to be for the same Sunpower panels, but DC, and power optimizers + string inverter.

In other words:
    1 - Sunpower X (327, 345, 360) AC - includes panel, built-in microinverter, monitoring gateway
    2 - Sunpower X (327, 345, 360) DC - includes panel, P400 optimizers, string inverter

Personally I don't care 1 vs 2. Both cases have same system size, have electronics per panel, and monitoring. However, I've got an installer pushing strongly for 1 and against 2. If I were to get a quote for 2 from them, how much less per watt than 1 should be expected?
  • max2k
    • May 2015

Originally posted by kny
    I've got an installer pushing Sunpower AC modules.

How much lower per watt should I expect an offer to be for the same Sunpower panels, but DC, and power optimizers + string inverter.

In other words:
    1 - Sunpower X (327, 345, 360) AC - includes panel, built-in microinverter, monitoring gateway
    2 - Sunpower X (327, 345, 360) DC - includes panel, P400 optimizers, string inverter

Personally I don't care 1 vs 2. Both cases have same system size, have electronics per panel, and monitoring. However, I've got an installer pushing strongly for 1 and against 2. If I were to get a quote for 2 from them, how much less per watt than 1 should be expected?
    given these options only I'd go strongly for 2- simpler (and therefore more reliable) electronics on the roof. If asked in general I'd go with different panels, depending on the multiple quotes of course.

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

How much for each option ? Good equipment from known mfg. and no extras like elec. panel replacement or roof maint. can generally be had for be had for ~ $3.50/STC Watt before tax credits/rebates for complete systems. Sunpower is good stuff but generally about 20% more upfront for no more annual output per STC Watt. The smart money knows it ain't worth the premium for a lot of reasons.

Comment

• kny
        • Jul 2015

I know all this. But, what I don't know is whether and how much #2 should be less than #1 for comparable deals. This situation is in a rural area with few installer options and this one is strongly pushing Sunpower AC. I'm pushing to get a quote for Sunpower DC because I suspect the AC are excessively premium priced, but given their reluctance (I suspect they like the ease of install of the Sunpower AC) I want to know what I should expect for Sunpower DC relative to a Sunpower AC bid.

If they say it's the same price, is that reasonable or just them trying to push me to AC?
        If they say $0.10 / watt less, is that reasonable or just them trying to push me to AC?

Yes, I know other panel manufacturers should be considered and are the smart money. But, that's not what I'm trying to get at here. That's an entirely different line of attack.

Here's another way to ask the question. What is wholesale price for X22-345 panels, AC and DC. Everything else I can determine (P400s, optimizers, monitoring gateway), and figure out myself. But, because Sunpower doesn't expose pricing unless you're a dealer, it's hard to answer the question this way.

Comment

• brucet9
          • May 2017

Sun power sells only through authorized dealers, so you cannot easily find out the wholesale prices. Online sellers can't offer them. If you have only one installer in the area, asking him to quote a DC system could result in his over-pricing the non-favored system, if he is not very ethical.

It is likely that one of four reasons are behind your provider's advocacy of Equinox modules;
          Maybe better profit margin for the premium product.
          Certainly easier, safer installation because modules are plug-and-play, with no inverters to install either on the roof or down below, and no high voltage to contend with. All of that, plus lower cost for wiring and connections reduces his installation cost.
          Maybe your roof size requires 22% efficiency modules vs 21% or 20%?
          25/25/25 warranty is a strong value argument for you (although Solar Edge will sell an extended warranty for $300), as is no single-point-of-failure compared to a 12-year warranty DC inverter, with or without optimizers.

I have had a quote from Semper solaris for a SunPower E20 series 5kW system with Solar Edge and optimizers. If you aren't too pressed for time, I could inquire from them what it would cost me to upgrade to Equinox AC modules. That would necessarily be from E20-series to X22-series, though I might be able to ask about X-21 vs Equinox (apparently only in X22), if you have time.

Comment

• kny
            • Jul 2015

Originally posted by brucet9
            I have had a quote from Semper solaris for a SunPower E20 series 5kW system with Solar Edge and optimizers. If you aren't too pressed for time, I could inquire from them what it would cost me to upgrade to Equinox AC modules. That would necessarily be from E20-series to X22-series, though I might be able to ask about X-21 vs Equinox (apparently only in X22), if you have time.
            Just to satisfy my curiosity, I'd appreciate if you would inquire the per watt delta you're quoted from E-20 to X-22.

Comment

• brucet9
              • May 2017

Originally posted by kny

Just to satisfy my curiosity, I'd appreciate if you would inquire the per watt delta you're quoted from E-20 to X-22.
              I asked the following:
              What is your opinion of advantages/disadvantages of using the E-327 modules with SolarEdge optimizers as you proposed, vs the same capacity system with Equinox modules?

Given the simpler installation and wiring of Equinox, would there be much of a cost difference between the two?
              Got an email back stating,
              "Cost is the same. Performance is slightly better with the SolarEdge and it has per panel monitoring, not available with the Equinox system."

I've tried to search SunPower EnergyLink monitoring to see if he is mistaken, but it does seem to be able only to monitor total output of your system, so it would appear that Equinox EnergyLink system would not be as useful reporting as Solar Edge. At this point, it looks like Equinox is not actually an upgrade from Solar Edge except for 25 year warranty on the inverters. You have to pay a $300 warranty extension fee to get that from Solar Edge.
              Last edited by brucet9; 07-30-2017, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Working...