X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar install in (torrance) los angeles

I am a solar fans and install a 275x8 system in my previous place in bay area, 2 years ago, at a cost of 6700 before any rebate. Now in the new place I also want to install a small 2-2.4kw system utilize a south face roof. However, all the quotes I received are quite expensive. Is there any suggestion? Where to find more cheap quotes? Any refer? Is it realistic for a 3 per watt system? the roof has easy access and is the shingle which should be easy. Many thanks!

My suggestion would be to go with a larger system. Usually the fixed costs drive up the $/watt on systems less then 5kw.

Hopefully someone on the forum will provide you a possible lower cost source for a grid tie system.

Comment

How much are you being quoted for what products ? Something like the difference between buying Hagen- Daz by the 14 oz. size for $4.50 vs. $7.00/quart, a small(er) system will probably cost more/STC Watt because of things like fixed costs (the truck needs to show up whether it's for 8 panels or 80), but oversizing would be false economy for many reasons. Just don't buy Sunpower, and don't fall for the leasing trap.

Comment

currently i have several quotes, from three companies
        2.4kw / 10500 solarcity
        2.6kw / 9700 sunrun/costco
        1.96kw/ 7800 a local installer

my installation in bay area 2 years ago is at 2.2kw / 6700
        any suggestions, i thought i probably will not pull trigger at this price, where can i find relative cheap vendor for my solar effort.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by fanskyer View Post
          currently i have several quotes, from three companies
          2.4kw / 10500 solarcity
          2.6kw / 9700 sunrun/costco
          1.96kw/ 7800 a local installer

my installation in bay area 2 years ago is at 2.2kw / 6700
          any suggestions, i thought i probably will not pull trigger at this price, where can i find relative cheap vendor for my solar effort.

Thanks!
          Add to my prior post: Avoid SolarCity, they're bottom feeders. Sunrun isn't much better.

For the size system you're considering and the area you're in, $3.75 - $4.00/Watt may be about the best you'll do.

I'd be more concerned about vendor quality and value for my $$ and a bit less about initial price. Buy cheap, buy twice.

Do you know what your loads are ? Having a goal helps the improve the chances of a cost effective installation.

Comment

+1 above, toss SC and Sunrun. Get at least 2 more real quotes to match your 7800. Who did you use last time ? There were nonprofit groups in Bay area a couple years back that prices couldnt be beat, just a long waiting list, you couldnt compare prices against normal for profit companies.
            Last edited by cebury; 07-16-2017, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X