X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • solarsocal
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Jaxx
    I'm picking up this older "cheap solar panel" thread.

Recently I've seen Canadian Solar panels for around 1.10 to 1.15 $/Watt. Is this too good to be true comparing it to much higher prices panels of well known, established quality products on the market these days?

Thanks
    It is absolutely NOT too good to be true, though I was wondering the same thing back when I began my project...

Amazing how much prices have changed since my post in this thread about 9 months ago. Back then, I was at the very start of considering a solar project for my house, now I have gone through almost the entire process (19,000+ watt DC system is installed, Building & Safety signed off, just waiting formality from LA DWP so the system can be turned on & the rebate check cut..) When all is said and done, state & fed rebates factored in, etc, I should have a 3 year break-even point on a close to 30,000 kwhr/yr system (!). Insanity.

I ended up buying the Canadian Solar CS6P-230P panels and at this point I'd say I can't imagine having ordered anything else (unless I wanted to pay more and possibly get less). Quality control was excellent on all 83 panels I bought. The CS6P-230P panels are plus rated (+0 to +5) and have a great PTC (211w for a 230w panel). Remember, when you pay for your panels for "x per watt" that's based on the gross/DC watt, which isn't what you actually get on output. PTC seems like a far better indicator and that's where I'd make my pricing comparisons (which will only further push you towards CS6P-230P's). Occasionally over the past year I'd see 245 or 280 watt panels (typically - mono instead of poly) that had attractive prices per DC watt, and then you'd look at PTC, power tolerance spec, etc and realize that some of those watts you were paying for were essentially vapor and the panel was notably more expensive per "real" watt than the CS 230 panel.

Having since spoken to other installers in the area, etc, I have only heard positives about the quality of Canadian Solar panels.

I purchased through Sun Electronics. Back when I pulled the trigger prices were $1.44/watt, but the price dropped again shortly before shipping and they floated me down to the new price ($1.28/watt) without issue. The panels arrived within a few days, and all 83 were well-packed, in pristine condition and had new manufacture dates (maybe 2-3 months earlier).

Since then the panels have dropped to either $1.14/watt (worst case) or $1.04/watt (ad on their front page). You'll have to inquire with them, someone mentioned to me that they thought the $1.04/watt are for panels that have minor cosmetic imperfections but are guaranteed to have the same outputs. Even if that's the case, if it was my money and given the size of my system, I would have gone for the $1.04's personally. I suppose there's an outside chance the $1.04 price is for the perfect A panels but you'll have to check with Sun. Given how inexpensive the panels have been from Sun throughout the past year, I kept questioning again and again if I was going to end up with some dinged up, old manufacture (or other issue) panels but I got exactly what they said I'd get (perfect brand new panels).

Sorry for the ramble but maybe the info/thoughts will be helpful for those contemplating Canadian Solar and/or this vendor. I had so much uncertainty and concern at the beginning especially without seeing a lot of comments on these panels back then. But now having been through it, spoken to other installers, etc, Canadian Solar is a total no-brainer to me (at least the CS6P-230P!)
    Last edited by russ; 01-05-2012, 03:31 PM. Reason: broke link

Comment

• s.xavier
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2011

bargain shopping is great, i do it all the time

when it comes to buying solar panels, use the same diligence you would use buying an expensive car... Avoid the unconventional outlets... i hear way too many negative stories buying things from shady outlets where you have no support or recourse on faulty hardware.. Do your homework is my best advice and buy a reputable brand
      Last edited by s.xavier; 01-05-2012, 03:58 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

• computerpc101
        • Dec 2011

I am not sure that I am off topic or not.

I find inexpensive Solar panel from here
        Ecobusinesslinks

It seems that Sun-electric

They offer very good price, However, I am wondering, Anyone order anytime from them before? How expensive shipping is?

I live in Canada, Anyone deal with them with shipping problem? and Custom problem?

In Canada, Electric rate is cheap as only 9.6 cents KW/H, but it will raise 30% in 3 years, A good 200 Watts panel will save about $30 per year. and $40/per year after 3 years later.

In Here, 200 watts solar panel costs $700, while Sun elecltric is selling them for about $230 but not sure how much shipping and custom cost.

I am looking for mid/low grade of solar panel with inexpensive price, However, For grid-tie inverter, I am little more picky on quality/price.
        Last edited by s.xavier; 01-10-2012, 03:53 PM. Reason: removed link

Comment

• Naptown
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2011

Look into Canadian Solar they make a very good module. the Company is based in Canada and they cost about $1.20 US per watt.
          Last edited by s.xavier; 01-10-2012, 03:55 PM. Reason: removed quotation
          NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• epsgunner
            Solar Fanatic
            • May 2012

I noticed this thread when checking things on DmSolar.

Well, I got a 145w DMSolar panel today from Amazon today.. they were $140-160 shipped.. I have 4 more coming in by Thursday.. They are sold out till 6/25/12.. they went thru 440 in like 5 days..

Was hazy today and 65'F.. I got 20.1 - 20.5 VOC as the sun poked thru.. less than the 21.6.. but thats ok as the weather was dreary and not ideal..

The ratings on the sticker are:

145w 0-3%
            Cells by GinTech
            VMP 18
            IMP 8.05
            ISC 8.95
            VOC 21.6

The GinTech cells are 16.4% eff rated.. by the MFG.. (I poked around GinTech's website)..

Warranty @ 90% at 15 years.. yada yada.. They weigh like 26 1/2lbs.. and have a 1 3/8" frame.

For the price of $0.97 to $1.10 per watt I am not complaining..
            1160 watts, Midnite 150 , Xantrex SW2000

Comment

• Mike90250
              • May 2009

Why do I think the cells look like Evergreen cells ?
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• epsgunner
                Solar Fanatic
                • May 2012

They are GinTech cells.. Douro type # G156M3 I think.. the panel sticker says cells by GinTech.. and made in Taiwan..
                1160 watts, Midnite 150 , Xantrex SW2000

Comment

• billvon
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Mar 2012

Originally posted by waceycornia
                  Where is the best place to find and buy solar panels?
                  Try Homepower magazine. They carry a lot of ads. Last issue had panels for as low as $1.09 a watt. You may not want them, but you'll definitely see the whole range of panels in the ads there.

Comment

• 12v solar panel
                    • Mar 2015

solar panels for sale

Originally posted by waceycornia
                    Where is the best place to find and buy solar panels?
                    you read the article cheap solar panels here

---Mod Note: That thread has been deleted for spamming.
                    Last edited by inetdog; 03-25-2015, 04:57 AM.

Comment

• MikeInRialto
                      • Mar 2015

if you buy from out of state and can get free shipping, you will get to escape sales tax.

Comment

Working...