X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ButchDeal
    Solar Fanatic
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by J.P.M.

Opinion: It's also sad but to my experience about equally true how many DIY'ers are code noncompliant due to ignorance, shortsightedness and just plain sloth. Every house I've ever owned, and about every home I've ever been in if I bothered to look required at least some remediation to clean up, make safe and/or correct what some clod(s) did. Some dwellings more than others, but all to some extent that went beyond normal wear/tear.
    I have seen so many homes, many that I wanted to buy but things realtor stated started to turn my stomach like "owner finished the basement" Wouldn't take much looking around to see that the owner didn't know what the hell he was doing. But it also is realtor code for "someone finished the basement without getting a permit so you will have a bitch of a time getting a permit doing anything where they might notice this..."

Further I would hypothesis that most DIYers do this out of ignorance. And thus if they are only smart enough to get help with the permit pack, most are smart enough to be able to follow the design that someone else did for them or to get a contractor for the few parts they can see they might need help with. In other words if you are a DIYer doing Solar (or anything) pay someone for a Permit pack at the very least.
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by ButchDeal
      Further I would hypothesis that most DIYers do this out of ignorance.
      R.U.A., and partially agree, but you're kinder or less cynical or both than I might be on that one.

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by J.P.M.

R.U.A., and partially agree, but you're kinder or less cynical or both than I might be on that one.
        I agree. Based on the people I know and what they have DIY'd I would say that cost and lack of getting the officials involved were the main motivating factors.

I am not saying they didn't do the work per code but IMO most AHJ's would probably laugh at the work.

Comment

• bcroe
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2012

The quality of DIY work can vary all over, and the pros too. I bought this place with no maintenance buildings,
          and the concrete floors (enough to easily park 6 cars) don't have a crack anywhere. Must be thick and have some
          rebar. On the other hand, the plumbing and wiring have been problematic, but I can fix them bit by bit. A few
          inspectors have checked my wiring over the last half century, about the only comments were on how neat. A
          DIY can take a lot of extra (free) time to do that. Bruce Roe

Comment

• DanS26
            Solar Fanatic
            • Dec 2011

It's not just the trades high labor costs.......went to the dentist today to have a crown re cemented......took all of ten minutes.......charge $78......5% discount if paid in cash.

Yeah...I know there's a lot of overhead in that $78.

Comment

• J.P.M.
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by DanS26
              It's not just the trades high labor costs.......went to the dentist today to have a crown re cemented......took all of ten minutes.......charge $78......5% discount if paid in cash.

Yeah...I know there's a lot of overhead in that $78.
              From the "Ripley's Believe It or Not" DIY file: Partly due to circumstances (long story) and partly because she was dirt poor at the time, my 1st wife, as a late teen and some years before I met her, extracted one of her own teeth. No $$ overhead, and no long term problems, but I recall her saying she'd have gladly waited and paid a dentist if she'd had the money.

Comment

• reader2580
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jan 2017

There are DIY folks like myself who actually get electrical permits. There was so much hack electrical work in my house it was shocking it had not burned down. Several spots where loose connections had melted due to heat including the main cables from the meter into the load center. Three live cables cut off and exposed in walls. My father and I rewired over 50% of the house with permits.

My solar was done about 75% by a solar electrician and 25% myself. The electrician did all of the electrical work.

Comment

• peakbagger
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jun 2010

I DIYed a couple of arrays. On my last one, I needed a electrician to sign off to get SRECs so I talked to a local master electrician who wanted to "learn solar", I went through my calculations and showed him the particular sections of the code to justify why I did what I did. He agreed and signed the system off. My town requires an electrical permit but they will not inspect the work. Anyone applying for a permit has to sign a form that states that the installation will be done to applicable codes.

Comment

• silversaver
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jul 2013

Noted. hope the price will be lower when I need to roof work done

Comment

• Steve C
                      • Jul 2015

I am very pleased with the company (Gilmore) that installed my solar. They did a great job. That being said, while we discussed (before contract signed) the plan to remove and replace the array after re-roofing, I mistakenly failed to insist that it be included in the contract. I strongly recall them saying $250-$500 (but it's not in writing, so who knows). It was this post that got thinking about it. I went to the office today to discuss the matter. They're unable to give me a dollar figure as the sales guy was not in the office. They will get back to me next week. FINGERS CROSSED!!!

Comment

• kwilcox
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jul 2014

I did a "hybrid DIY" installation of my array back in 2014 by working with an electrician partner. So I did all the grunt work (running conduit in attic, installing roof anchors, rails, microinverters and panels, pulled wire etc) and he pulled permits, was there for inspections, and subcontracted items that couldn't be owner installed (replace meter base etc). He charged a standard $85 hourly rate for everything he did and pretty much guided my design and lay out of the infrastructure. It was a great experience for me that also brought the installation in for about $1.30/watt after rebates.
                        4KW system featuring Suniva OPT265/Enphase M215

Comment

• XoloMom
                          • Jan 2019

I'd like to know if a lower priced option to remove and re-install in SoCal was ever found for those that posted? I have 56 panels and was quoted just over 10K. Feeling quite dumb at the moment because we didn't think to negotiate that cost when getting the system installed. The site surveyor noted the roof was in fair/poor condition so seems like they should have advised a new roof at the time( we had never seen that survey until now) But they didn't and we were all to happy to start saving money I guess. At any rate we desperately need a new roof and are looking for alternate companies to get some quotes from. Thanks!

Comment

• J.P.M.
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by XoloMom
                            I'd like to know if a lower priced option to remove and re-install in SoCal was ever found for those that posted? I have 56 panels and was quoted just over 10K. Feeling quite dumb at the moment because we didn't think to negotiate that cost when getting the system installed. The site surveyor noted the roof was in fair/poor condition so seems like they should have advised a new roof at the time( we had never seen that survey until now) But they didn't and we were all to happy to start saving money I guess. At any rate we desperately need a new roof and are looking for alternate companies to get some quotes from. Thanks!
                            You might want to start a new thread for this one.
                            Where are you located ?
                            There are more PV installers doing roof remediation either themselves ( a poor method) or sub contracting to real roofers (much better) now than in the past around here (San Diego). I bet that's a pretty common development in most areas.

I'd suggest you contact the original installer and get any possible warranty voiding issues resolved before fooling with the array.

I sure don't what to rub it in, but your situation is pretty much a good example of why I rail about making sure a roof is inspected and repaired/remediated/replaced before an array goes over it.
                            A reminder to those considering roof mounted PV.

Comment

• XoloMom
                              • Jan 2019

Yes, I may repost new. And we have already been in comms with the installing co. They use a sub solar co to handle the R& R and that pricing came from them. There is no warranty. We need a new roof, it is time. I highly doubt they are going to budge even though we should have been advised the roof was within 3 years of its end life (Had the panels on for 4 years now.) Really just looking for alternative companies to get quotes on that service. They also had a preferred roofer who has not responded so I will be moving on to find another for that as well. I have a company that does both coming for a quote next week. We are in Rancho Cucamonga, CA. We really don't want to get into a battle, we just need a roof before more damage is done.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by XoloMom
                                Yes, I may repost new. And we have already been in comms with the installing co. They use a sub solar co to handle the R& R and that pricing came from them. There is no warranty. We need a new roof, it is time. I highly doubt they are going to budge even though we should have been advised the roof was within 3 years of its end life (Had the panels on for 4 years now.) Really just looking for alternative companies to get quotes on that service. They also had a preferred roofer who has not responded so I will be moving on to find another for that as well. I have a company that does both coming for a quote next week. We are in Rancho Cucamonga, CA. We really don't want to get into a battle, we just need a roof before more damage is done.
                                My point was to get info from the original installing co. before having another co. remove or even touch the array. Usually, unless the installing co. does the removal/reinstall, doing so can be grounds to void any future warranty claims.

BTW - question: Just what did that $10K price include ? Another question: Who was the original solar vendor ?

As for being advised your roof needed work/renewal, if part of the site assessment noted the roof was in "fair/poor condition" I'd think that would be recognized as notification to you to enquire further about the state of the roof or take some action to address the deteriorated state. They're solar installers, not roofers. To know or be advised of the condition of a roof is the owner's responsibility. I don't think that's on the installer. Reads to me like they covered their butt.

Back to now and what to do. Before moving on to another company to do the array removal, roof repair and array reinstall, I'd contact the solar installer via certified and regular mail advising that party of your unsuccessful attempts at contacting their preferred roofer. Doing so may get them to respond. At least doing so will do no harm and may serve you well if the situation deteriorates to arbitration or worse, litigation.

Comment

Working...