X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gotopower
    • May 2017

DIY Solar Grid Tied in Ohio

Does anyone have experience doing a DIY grid tied solar installation in Ohio? (AEP)

I do not want to void home insurance and I want it all done to "code". Automatic cut off and preferably with micro inverters. No plug in style inverters but hardwired correctly.

I have 220 to my unattached garage. It has its own small breaker box with 4 110 breakers. Can I hook into here even though it is not next to the "main" breaker box? Can I install all the components and have a certified electrician sign off on the hook up?

I'll require a 2kw array to cover most of my usage when not using AC.

Thanks!
  • ButchDeal
    Solar Fanatic
    • Apr 2014

Why "preferably with micro inverters"?

you will need to check your local permit requirements and HOA regulations in OH. OH does not have state wide solar rights laws so HOAs can (and some do) limit the installations to not visible from the street.

What size breaker feeds the garage sub panel?
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• Gotopower
      • May 2017

Thank you ButchDeal,

I've heard micro inverters were preferable with self installations and assist with fixed panels that might be partially shaded at different points in the day. If this is untrue -- please let me know!

I do not have an HOA -- so no issues there. I guess I'll call the permit office.

The garage sub panel runs to the house underground and links with main panel at a 220 breaker. Current load in the garage includes 2 exterior LED lights, 2 interior florescent lights, and the garage door.

Comment

• ButchDeal
        Solar Fanatic
        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Gotopower
        Thank you ButchDeal,

I've heard micro inverters were preferable with self installations and assist with fixed panels that might be partially shaded at different points in the day. If this is untrue -- please let me know!
        SolarEdge is simpler install, more efficient, and usually cheaper, and more financially stable. It has just as good of shadow handling.
        You could use the SE3000H, new HDWave version.

Originally posted by Gotopower
        I do not have an HOA -- so no issues there. I guess I'll call the permit office.

The garage sub panel runs to the house underground and links with main panel at a 220 breaker. Current load in the garage includes 2 exterior LED lights, 2 interior florescent lights, and the garage door.
        The load in the garage is not important. What is the size of the 220V breaker, it would be in amps. maybe 100a?
        OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Working...