Hi I'm new to solar and in the middle of having it installed, I have some questions

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by CharlieEscCA

I was teasing, lol.

Nothing wrong with your opinion.

So, how expensive were all of your Borrego Springs wild ideas going to be to build? I'm trying to figure out what I can do cost effective wise with my Valley Center build next year in terms of getting my yearly KWh usage down.
    Understood. I can take a joke. No big deal.

Aside from the land, best prelim. budget est./working number : ~ $800-$1MM. including: ~ $50K to get power and water from the street to the house - a straight line distance of ~ 600 ft., ~ $30-$50 K for permits/legal, $35K for PV at the then going rate of ~ $5.50/Watt, ~ $50K site improvements including dirt road and leach field/septic, $20K for engineering I couldn't do myself and for checking my work, $25K for architect/project management/county interface, ~ $10-15 K or landscaping, balance for mat./labor/mechanical.

Had this gone further, the arch., I and the builder would get serious about harder cost estimates, budget and details. Build cycle was planned to be ~ 12-18 months given the relative isolation and paucity of avail. labor, particularly in the summer. I was also planning on (perhaps) leaving the dwelling unoccupied for awhile if the concrete (floors, exterior walls (with exterior insulation), interior pony walls and some other interior details was found to be gassing off radon. Hadn't got to the point of figuring out how to provide security to a vacant but mostly completed building envelope.

If saving energy is one design goal, an easy/effective and required way to achieve it is to follow title 24 requirements and don't bitch or skimp on the details. It won't be your father's house, but it'll be a lot more energy efficient if you cooperate with the spirit of saving energy. It'll also add ~ 10 % to the construction cost. Part of that comes back as lower bills from lower usage and also in a PV system that can be ~1/3 smaller due to the lower usage. HVAC loads in Valley Ctr. and the Pasqual valley are similar due to climate and being in the same SDG & E climate zone (inland), but expect lower usage because of the title 24 mandates, particularly building and HVAC sealing details and techniques.
    Last edited by J.P.M.; 06-17-2017, 12:35 AM.

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by J.P.M.

Understood. I can take a joke. No big deal.

Aside from the land, best prelim. budget est./working number : ~ $800-$1MM. including: ~ $50K to get power and water from the street to the house - a straight line distance of ~ 600 ft., ~ $30-$50 K for permits/legal, $35K for PV at the then going rate of ~ $5.50/Watt, ~ $50K site improvements including dirt road and leach field/septic, $20K for engineering I couldn't do myself and for checking my work, $25K for architect/project management/county interface, ~ $10-15 K or landscaping, balance for mat./labor/mechanical.

Had this gone further, the arch., I and the builder would get serious about harder cost estimates, budget and details. Build cycle was planned to be ~ 12-18 months given the relative isolation and paucity of avail. labor, particularly in the summer. I was also planning on (perhaps) leaving the dwelling unoccupied for awhile if the concrete (floors, exterior walls (with exterior insulation), interior pony walls and some other interior details was found to be gassing off radon. Hadn't got to the point of figuring out how to provide security to a vacant but mostly completed building envelope.

If saving energy is one design goal, an easy/effective and required way to achieve it is to follow title 24 requirements and don't bitch or skimp on the details. It won't be your father's house, but it'll be a lot more energy efficient if you cooperate with the spirit of saving energy. It'll also add ~ 10 % to the construction cost. Part of that comes back as lower bills from lower usage and also in a PV system that can be ~1/3 smaller due to the lower usage. HVAC loads in Valley Ctr. and the Pasqual valley are similar due to climate and being in the same SDG & E climate zone (inland), but expect lower usage because of the title 24 mandates, particularly building and HVAC sealing details and techniques.
      There are some amazingly large homes in that neighborhood. A lot of them have a pv system of some kind. I really like the remoteness of the location but my idea of a retirement home size would be about what some of the garages are.

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by SunEagle

There are some amazingly large homes in that neighborhood. A lot of them have a pv system of some kind. I really like the remoteness of the location but my idea of a retirement home size would be about what some of the garages are.
        Yea, large, and small as well. It's not everyone's cup of tea. Mine was going to be ~ 3,300 ft.^2. Min. size in the dev. is 2,500 ft.^2. There are lots of smaller places in town. See realtor.com, zip 92004 for an idea. Many of the PV systems you see were among the pioneer systems on the learning curve. My architect put one on a home about 3-4 yr. before we met. about 10 kW, horizontal on a flat roof, with lots of avail. land for a ground mount, with the non edge panels completely inaccessible. I shook my head. Decent architect. Poor solar designer. I believe that system is now mostly derelict and more than a little sand covered. A good example of solar ignorance.

Comment

• Six4KilowWatt
          • Feb 2017

Leasing is a scam period...Buy a few panels and add later. String or micro, it's better to have a small size setup to offset the cost of your tiered rates. The only thing leasing does is sell you the system at an inflated cost.

Comment

• Steve92004
            • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Six4KilowWatt
            Leasing is a scam period...Buy a few panels and add later. String or micro, it's better to have a small size setup to offset the cost of your tiered rates. The only thing leasing does is sell you the system at an inflated cost.
            That was my original plan but our electric company makes it difficult at best.

Comment

• Steve92004
              • Jun 2017

Past De Anza by a mile or so. That place has a tight HOA, is too crowded for me, and I don't play golf anyway, Besides, most folks there are so uptight and such tightasses, only dogs can hear their farts. Lots of movie stars apparently hid out there. All dead now.
              My land is farther north where B.S. rd. turns east onto/into Henderson Canyon rd., then go north about another mile or so.
              You have water at the road there?

Comment

• J.P.M.
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Steve92004

You have water at the road there?
                Yes, provided by the Borrego Springs water co., and electricity provided by SDG & E.

Comment

• Steve92004
                  • Jun 2017

Yes, provided by the Borrego Springs water co., and electricity provided by SDG & E.
                  I didn't know the water district went that far, you are on Henderson past Indian Head?

Comment

• J.P.M.
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Steve92004

I didn't know the water district went that far, you are on Henderson past Indian Head?
                    No.

Comment

Working...