X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FFE
    Solar Fanatic
    • Oct 2015

Have you considered buying a second EV? That way you could alternate days driving and charging. With the $7,500 tax credit you can select from a couple different medium range EV's for the price of two power walls.

Comment

• jflorey2
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by FFE
      Have you considered buying a second EV? That way you could alternate days driving and charging. With the $7,500 tax credit you can select from a couple different medium range EV's for the price of two power walls.
      In addition you can now lease EV's for $99 a month and $1500 down. You could get two for a three-year cost of $10K. (And at the end of the time, they take it back, 3 year old battery and all.)

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by jflorey2
        In addition you can now lease EV's for $99 a month and $1500 down. You could get two for a three-year cost of $10K. (And at the end of the time, they take it back, 3 year old battery and all.)
        Damn. I can't lease an EV for that little amount. For that matter I don't think I can even find an EV to lease where I live.

Comment

• jflorey2
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2015

Originally posted by SunEagle
          Damn. I can't lease an EV for that little amount. For that matter I don't think I can even find an EV to lease where I live.
          If you're interested check out ev-vin dot blogspot dot com. They keep a running tally of the lease deals available across the country.

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

If you're interested check out ev-vin dot blogspot dot com. They keep a running tally of the lease deals available across the country.
            Interesting. I see most of those are in CA with a couple in Fl but they only have BMW's which are a little high end for me to lease.

Thanks for the link. I guess I will just have to wait for FL to come up to speed on EV availability.

Comment

• Andygt02
              • Dec 2015

Originally posted by FFE
              That's thinking outside the box...

Not sure the math would work out with the additional car insurance hit. We also pay a vehicle excise tax where I live.
              7.2 kW / LG NeOn 2 300's / Enphase M250

Comment

• sensij
                Solar Fanatic
                • Sep 2014

I ran into that site when i was trying to figure out where you were seeing those lease deals.. nice resource! I also just discovered the unlimited miles 3 year "subscription" for the Hyundai Ioniq, with 124 mi of range (for CA residents)... might be a perfect fit for my wife, who drives 20-25k mi a year in our family car, with a daily round trip commute of around 60 mi.
                CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• Sunking
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Feb 2010

You have to live in a communist state to force your neighbors to pay for it like CA. Or any state Ellon Musk does biz in.
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

• Andygt02
                    • Dec 2015

Update:

To Tesla's credit, they sent my system details to an engineering unit to look for a solution. One of the engineers even got in touch and explained in more detail why it wouldn't work. I decided to cancel my order for now - two units is too expensive at the moment. Hopefully in time the price will drop and other brands will become competitive.

Comment

• SunEagle
                      Super Moderator
                      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Andygt02
                      Update:

To Tesla's credit, they sent my system details to an engineering unit to look for a solution. One of the engineers even got in touch and explained in more detail why it wouldn't work. I decided to cancel my order for now - two units is too expensive at the moment. Hopefully in time the price will drop and other brands will become competitive.
                      So what was the explanation given to you by the Engineer?

Comment

• Andygt02
                        • Dec 2015

Originally posted by SunEagle

So what was the explanation given to you by the Engineer?

A single powerwall system is not possible here. Backfeed requires us to tie in the Powerwall above the main breaker, which requires us to backup the entire panel. There are 50A loads I nthe panel, which require a second powerwall.

Comment

• SunEagle
                          Super Moderator
                          • Oct 2012

A single powerwall system is not possible here. Backfeed requires us to tie in the Powerwall above the main breaker, which requires us to backup the entire panel. There are 50A loads I nthe panel, which require a second powerwall.
                          Bummer. Looks like they have you in their pocket one way or the other. I would presume they provide a service contract to keep the Powerwall working. I wonder what that would cost.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Apr 2014

or you could do a different type of interconnect.
                            Right off you could upgrade the MSP to a larger one and tie in to it
                            or you could have to service panels.

But clearly they are not interested in any of the other solutions so long as they have the two powerwall solutions

Granted the other solutions might (depending on your electric configuration) cost more than the other powerwall.
                            OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Working...