X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rman
    • Apr 2017

DIY Solar Installation in Canton, GA

Just got my solar installation up and running last week in Canton Ga. The cost of power from my power company is only about $0.06/kwh, and I get a lot of shade in the morning and in the late afternoon, so I had to do a self install in order to make the project cost effective. I have been wanting to do this for a number of years, but in the past I found it difficult to get anyone to sell me the panels and other required equipment. Fortunately, that is no longer the case. I ended up buying my system from Renvu, and the cost was about $7300. The system uses 23 THAISUN 320W Poly 72 cell panels, a SOLAREDGE SE6000A-US 6kW inverter, and 23 SOLAREDGE P400-5 Optimizers. The solar panels were priced at around $0.36 per watt, so I thought it would be worth the risk to buy panels that were not top tier. IRONRIDGE racking and mounting hardware, and S-5 clamps were used to mount the panels to a hidden fastener standing seam roof. I used S-5 clamps at every standing seam on the roof because my roof was fastened to a 3/4 inch plywood roof deck with hidden fastening clips, and not directly to the rafters. I wanted the Ironridge rails to be attached to the roof at as many locations as possible.

Having had no experience with solar panel system design, I relied on the expertise of the tech support teams and the online design tools at Renvu, Ironridge, Solaredge and S-5 to make sure that I was purchasing a viable system. I also used the online design tool at www.solardesigntool.com to generate the electrical line drawing and design documentation. Solar Design Tool offers a free 30 day trial of their online software platform. After making an appointment for a phone tutorial meeting with their tech support, I was able to generate a full set of accurate plans that were accepted by my power company and my local permitting authority. I found the tech support at all these companies to be extremely helpful.
    Presentation1-400.jpgRoofPhoto-400.jpgS5Clamps-400.jpgSolarPanelsInstallled-04-08-2017-400.jpg

• bcroe
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2012

Sounds like you did very good research. Optimizers will do the best possible, but shade is always a negative. If you
    have the panels in good sun for the 4 hours around solar noon, production will be pretty good. I put panels in the
    most sunny spot on my lot, far from the house. Even so, some trees seem to disappear vey year. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

At 6-cents per Kwh and not having full Sun makes it impossible you will ever have an ROI. You are now paying more for electricity A lot more. Why would you do that?
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Based on my napkin calculations that $7300 system will take maybe 11 years to pay for itself at best.

If shade becomes an issue or if the OP spent more than that $7300 the number of payback years easily goes more than that 11.

Comment

• rman
          • Apr 2017

Total cost after tax rebate is about $5500. Based on performance so far (about one week of data) )and comparisons with other public sites nearby it looks like I may get about 700 to 7500 kwh per year.(PV watts website estimate is about 10000 kwh per year with 7 % shade factor) 5500/(0.06 * 7500) = ~ 12.2. That ranges from about 12 to 13 year payback time, assuming that energy prices do not go up. I am earning a measly 1% on my savings right now, so, while not a great ROI it does not seem so bad. I also have the option to remove some trees when I get a better idea of which ones are causing the most shade on the panels over time.

Comment

• Sunking
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by rman
            I am earning a measly 1% on my savings right now, so, while not a great ROI it does not seem so bad.
            You must not know much about money or how to make it work. YTD I am up right around 100% and no end in site but up.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• ashg
              • Mar 2018

Hi Rman

I noticed you are in GA and did your own install. I live over in Roswell and am embarking on the same kind of project and was wondering if we could chat about what you did regarding permits. I have all of my equipment ready and waiting in the garage. i have all the tech specs for the equipment, line drawings for the system, racking design/load calcs i just want to make sure i have everything they may want before i head down to the permit office.

thanks

Ash

Comment

Working...