X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by wwu123
    Yes, I'd downloaded and archived Greenbutton data from 2012 and 2013 that was at hourly intervals. Those are plug and play into the spreadsheet, but useless for future decisions, sincd that was pre-solar and pre-EV. The current Greenbutton data is at 15-minute intervals, and I also have pvoutput.org data at 5-minute intervals. Either would be the same to process into hourly, plus pvoutput.org also has the pain that you can only download one day at a time from the web GUI. Unless someone out there is willing to write me a simple web-based script to their REST API that can return the entire year in a single HTML reponse.

At least with the Greenbutton data I can download everything from March 21 to present at once, and only need to do one postprocessing sweep in Excel to convert it to hourly.
    HANG ONTO THE 2012 and 2013 DATA ! if it's presolar/pre EV, you won't need to back out the generation to get total consumption. It isn't the most recent data but it'll be of some use and it doesn't take up much room. Wish I had presolar data for sure.

Comment

• cebury
      Solar Fanatic
      • Sep 2011

Yes, I'd downloaded and archived Greenbutton data from 2012 and 2013 that was at hourly intervals. Those are plug and play into the spreadsheet, but useless for future decisions, sincd that was pre-solar and pre-EV. The current Greenbutton data is at 15-minute intervals, and I also have pvoutput.org data at 5-minute intervals. Either would be the same to process into hourly, plus pvoutput.org also has the pain that you can only download one day at a time from the web GUI. Unless someone out there is willing to write me a simple web-based script to their REST API that can return the entire year in a single HTML reponse.

At least with the Greenbutton data I can download everything from March 21 to present at once, and only need to do one postprocessing sweep in Excel to convert it to hourly.
      Im fond of using the PgeRateCalculatorSpreadsheet a guy from the Tesla forum developed (last updated feb 2017). You can search and find it. It wont help you yet, since you old data is 1hour, but the sheet is nice. You just cut and pate the greenbutton data. The directions are lacking severely, but once you figure it out you realize why the guy thjnks they werent needed. Its mostly just paste your greenbutton, copy results to the summary sheet, done. And its configurable as time periods shift.

it wont figure your total bill, like taxes and dwr charges, just the energy charges which are like 95% (or whatever) of your bill. So you can compare different plans, but need to be aware of any plan specific charges like meter charge, etc.

>>>The introduction of winter peak rates in some schedules will hurt compared to E6 that has no peak rates in winter. It's not clear that the increased EV charging will offset that
      Sounds like you know exactly what to look for. That peak can help offset by giving credit for gen or hurt if using during day. Thirdly, in your case, sounds like its absence is gonna hurt your winter hours and in 2021 it will really hurt as they make E6 be Winter for 8 months of the year.

Comment

• wwu123
        Solar Fanatic
        • Apr 2013

Originally posted by cebury

Im fond of using the PgeRateCalculatorSpreadsheet a guy from the Tesla forum developed (last updated feb 2017). You can search and find it. It wont help you yet, since you old data is 1hour, but the sheet is nice. You just cut and pate the greenbutton data. The directions are lacking severely, but once you figure it out you realize why the guy thjnks they werent needed. Its mostly just paste your greenbutton, copy results to the summary sheet, done. And its configurable as time periods shift.

it wont figure your total bill, like taxes and dwr charges, just the energy charges which are like 95% (or whatever) of your bill. So you can compare different plans, but need to be aware of any plan specific charges like meter charge, etc.
        Yes, in fact that is the spreadsheet I've been referring to, but you know what, I only noticed just now that he's defaulted to 15-minute intervals. I don't know why his GreenButton data from 2013 is in 15 minute intervals, while mine through early came in 1 hour intervals in the raw PG&E data. But actually ingeniously, the way he's done the binning, I realized I can cut and paste hourly data and the spreadsheet still seems to work, because each row of data has a date and start and stop interval, that he uses to properly bin and increment the usage.

Furthermore, with JPM's clever thinking of dissociating NEMS revenue from consumption, I can probably do an hourly consumption calculation with my pre-solar PGE data, and do the spreadsheet separately using my 5-minute Enphase generation data from pvoutput for a NEMS revenue calculation, and then overlay the totals of consumption and NEMS revenue to get annual net costs.

Comment

• J.P.M.
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

Yes, in fact that is the spreadsheet I've been referring to, but you know what, I only noticed just now that he's defaulted to 15-minute intervals. I don't know why his GreenButton data from 2013 is in 15 minute intervals, while mine through early came in 1 hour intervals in the raw PG&E data. But actually ingeniously, the way he's done the binning, I realized I can cut and paste hourly data and the spreadsheet still seems to work, because each row of data has a date and start and stop interval, that he uses to properly bin and increment the usage.

Furthermore, with JPM's clever thinking of dissociating NEMS revenue from consumption, I can probably do an hourly consumption calculation with my pre-solar PGE data, and do the spreadsheet separately using my 5-minute Enphase generation data from pvoutput for a NEMS revenue calculation, and then overlay the totals of consumption and NEMS revenue to get annual net costs.
          Just hang on to the data. Most of the data on consumption I've seen for neighbors and my own and a lot of other consumption stuff over the years shows that consumption doesn't change much year/year for the same user, once someone is reasonably established provided there isn't a step change in lifestyle - new home, new kids, etc. A lot of times old data may be as representative as new data, maybe more so depending on how non standard or non representative current weather might be.

As things move forward, I'm guessing consumption data without solar generation rolled into it will be a nice thing to have. It's possible to back out the consumption depending on format it can be a PITA. At at 8,750 X 4 time periods/yr. it gets a bit tedious.

Comment

• cebury
            Solar Fanatic
            • Sep 2011

Nice. I waa going to mention the sheet woukd technically "work" for hourly but i havent given the thought to why the numbers may or may not reflect an accurate energy charge.

The sheet was nice pre solar as well, since i could paste greenbutton, then lower down the sheet paste in pvwatts data, it didnt have to be sorted or interleaved. Maybe thats ehat you meant by overlayed within the calc aheet.

Comment

• cebury
              Solar Fanatic
              • Sep 2011

Its been a while since i was in the weeds, so i jumped back in. All my old greenbutton data was 1 hour intervals and i couldnt get any type of 15 minute download from the site tonight at all. Its all still 1 hour for me. Is your current download data 15 minute? Miirumas default template comes with sample data in 15 min intervals that look like PGE format from the header, so unsure.

Comment

• wwu123
                Solar Fanatic
                • Apr 2013

Originally posted by cebury
                Its been a while since i was in the weeds, so i jumped back in. All my old greenbutton data was 1 hour intervals and i couldnt get any type of 15 minute download from the site tonight at all. Its all still 1 hour for me. Is your current download data 15 minute? Miirumas default template comes with sample data in 15 min intervals that look like PGE format from the header, so unsure.
                Yes, the data I now have available since March comes in 15-minute intervals, whether I download by bill or for a custom date range. I know my Smartmeter is unchanged all these past 9 years. It's a bit of a mystery why some folks data are on hourly intervals while others are on 15-minute at the same point in time!

Comment

• wwu123
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Apr 2013

Originally posted by J.P.M.

Just hang on to the data. Most of the data on consumption I've seen for neighbors and my own and a lot of other consumption stuff over the years shows that consumption doesn't change much year/year for the same user, once someone is reasonably established provided there isn't a step change in lifestyle - new home, new kids, etc. A lot of times old data may be as representative as new data, maybe more so depending on how non standard or non representative current weather might be.

As things move forward, I'm guessing consumption data without solar generation rolled into it will be a nice thing to have. It's possible to back out the consumption depending on format it can be a PITA. At at 8,750 X 4 time periods/yr. it gets a bit tedious.
                  Our household has changed profiles the past few years, with a college-age niece who's a night owl, plus a six-year old, so our consumption has measurably increased but for good reason. Probably 10-20% higher, but still you're right on that I can get a good baseline handle on things. And conveniently the increased consumption has followed the PG&E increase in minimum delivery charges, from nothing to $4/mo, to $10/mo, so I'm not giving them anything for free.

And the EV consumption, though significant, will be easily to overlay on historical models, 100% of it will be nighttime, off-peak rates - I will always make sure of that when scheduling it to charge.

Comment

Working...