X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Truenorth
    • Oct 2016

New 20KW Solar Installation Update

I joined this forum last fall to get help with my new 20KW solar system at my residence. My system finally went live the last week of December and now after winter is receding I'm finally starting to get some solar results. This past week for the first time I generated more electricity for one day than I actually used for the day! The reason for my post is to share some pictures and information about my project and to thank those that provided some great input.

Several years ago I obtained my net metering agreement with my utility but couldn't start on the project until last fall. Since my home uses a geothermal heat pump, and other typical electric appliances, my usage is around 24KWH per year. Winters near Lake Superior can get nasty! Our electric rates are over $0.20 and increasing so my main purpose for solar was to gain control of costs. I still need to do more work on reducing my use of electricity but am starting down that road.

I installed this system as a partial DIY with help from a licensed electrician. After receiving material quotes from 4 suppliers I purchased 70 Solarworld 285w black panels, two 10KW SolarEdge Inverters (1 string of 18 panels and 1 string of 17 panels to each inverter), and a black aluminum IronRidge racking system. I used the SolarEdge and PVWatts calculators to double check my solar production and everything seemed to check out as I hope to be able to generate most of my electrical needs through out the year using the net metering agreement with my utility.

I went with the IronRidge system as it looked simple to use and the XR100 was able to handle our 80PSF snowloads. I am a PE so was able to verify my garage roof trusses could handle the load. By staggering the roof mounting plates between trusses I was able to spread the load evenly between all of the trusses. Also I designed the system panel layout so I could cover most of the roof figuring that with my 10/12 (40 degree) roof slope the snow would slide off. One picture shows me cleaning snow off of the panels because I was eager to see some kind of solar production in the winter but actually when the sun would come out in later winter the snow would actually slide off.

My final cost after the tax credit will be $24,500 so if I'm figuring it correctly my system at 19,950KW production will be around $1.23 per KW. I tried to do most of the grunt work with some hired help from relatives to keep the cost down. I was going to rent a boom lift to access the roof but since I was only working on it part time I built a rolling scaffold system on some old railroad landscape timbers I had. This allowed me to roll the scaffold up and down the roof for good access. Since I had an electrician hired for the solar project, I decided to add a back up Generac generator so all of the electrical can tie in properly.

Attached are some pictures of my project. This spring I will have some tree cutting to do so the panels have limited shading.

Thanks for all of the help I received from the experts on this forum. (My earlier post was in the Solar Panel Installation section 'New Solar Installation Tie-in to Main Panel'.)
    Attached Files
  • DanS26
    Solar Fanatic
    • Dec 2011

Truenorth...you are a "true" DIY'er...my hat is off to you. At $1.23 per watt installed you are going to get a good payback even if you do not have net metering. Nice work.

ps....some people would cringe with that long aluminum pole bouncing around on the array when cleaning panels of snow....be careful.

Comment

• Dsspro
      • Mar 2017

What an awesome project!
      great job!

Comment

• bcroe
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by DanS26
        ps....some people would cringe with that long aluminum pole bouncing around on the array when cleaning panels of snow....be careful.
        Somebody rattle my chain? A string of 18 panels could generate 6 or 7 hundred volts, which is what you will be holding
        on to if the snow scraper pole damages a panel.

Nice setup; but the snow removal looks daunting. I would expect any time the sun shines now you will make more than you
        use, as happens here in NW IL. Its hard to collect much energy in Dec-Jan, but from here forward it should really pick up.
        Looking at a 1 April net metering true up here. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Mike90250
          • May 2009

maybe some lightweight plumbing pipe insulation on the pole will help cushion any impact from flex/bounce
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Truenorth
            • Oct 2016

Hey all, thanks for the positive feed back!

You are very perceptive about the roof rake. It actually did bounce at first so I did tape some pipe insulation (as suggested) if you look real close I only had some very small pieces I used initially and then purchased some more later to cover the full handle. The plastic shovel head seemed to work fine. I'm thinking like Bruce and may forget about cleaning next year due to the dangers and hassle. It would take me an hour to keep pulling big chunks off. Then a huge avalanche came down once, good thing I was away far enough!

Comment

• peakbagger
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jun 2010

Nice Install

Comment

Working...