X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OCRick
    • Feb 2017

Please Help Me Decide On New System

Hi Folks,

Newbie here. After a few months of researching various systems, receiving referrals and interviewing installers, I have selected a reputable installer and am about to pull the trigger on my first system. I wanted to confirm that the price I negotiated is a fair deal and seek some unbiased advice about system size.

I live in So Cal w/ SCE service. Roof space for optimal module/array placement is somewhat limited, so we were looking at going with higher efficiency modules. No major shading issues.

I have a pool and an EV that I charge every few days. Last year's usage was 10,800. The previous year was approx 12,000. I may add another EV in the next couple of years as range increases.

Below are the 3 options I'm looking at with this installer after a fair deal of negotiation:

Option #1
    7.680 kw
    Est production 11,520
    24 LG 320 Modules
    SE 7600 w/ optimizers
    Pre-Incentive $24,960
    $3.25/watt

Option #2
    7.590 kw
    23 Panasonic 330 Modules
    Est production 11,385
    SE 7600 w/ optimizers
    Pre-Incentive $24,667
    $3.25/watt

Option #3
    6.930 kw
    Est production 10,740
    21 Panasonic 330 Modules
    SE 7600 w/ optimizers
    Pre-Incentive $22,250
    $3.21/watt

The installer has also agreed as part of the above pricing (in lieu of a further reduction in contract price) to install a new 240 volt run (will be about a 20 foot run) for my future 2nd EV. If I factor in a conservative $500 value for that, I'm around $3.18/watt.

A few questions:

1. Is $3.25/watt price a fair price for the SoCal market?

2. Given my usage at 10,800, the higher usage the year before, and the potential 2nd EV, and degradation, does it make more sense to go with one of the larger systems like options #1 and #2?

3. To future proof, would it make sense to add one more module to either option #1 or #2 at a cost of another $1,200 or just buy any necessary power from SCE?

4. Any preference between the Panny and LG modules?

5. Any questions I should ask about method of sealing the roof penetrations through my concrete tile roof?

Thanks in advance for any feedback you are able to offer. I really appreciate it and all the great comments/moderation on this site!
  • solar pete
    Administrator
    • May 2014

Hello OCRick and welcome to Solar Panel Talk.
    1.Yes thats about right
    2.Yes, I like system 1
    3.Maybe, One extra panel wont cost $1,200 surely
    4. Both are good
    5. if you have a good installer they should sort this out

Sounds like you have done your homework, nice job, you should end up with a good result, cheers.

Comment

• philips
      • Sep 2015

Look into time of use rates with SCE to see if this will benefit/affect you - and consider the array orientation with respect to afternoon peak rates.

Comment

• OCRick
        • Feb 2017

Originally posted by solar pete
        Hello OCRick and welcome to Solar Panel Talk.
        1.Yes thats about right
        2.Yes, I like system 1
        3.Maybe, One extra panel wont cost $1,200 surely
        4. Both are good
        5. if you have a good installer they should sort this out

Sounds like you have done your homework, nice job, you should end up with a good result, cheers.
        Thanks so much for the quick reply and the welcome. Great feedback that gives me comfort that I'm on the right track. Now I'm really looking forward to getting it installed! Thanks again.

Comment

• J.P.M.
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by OCRick
          Hi Folks,

Newbie here. After a few months of researching various systems, receiving referrals and interviewing installers, I have selected a reputable installer and am about to pull the trigger on my first system. I wanted to confirm that the price I negotiated is a fair deal and seek some unbiased advice about system size.

I live in So Cal w/ SCE service. Roof space for optimal module/array placement is somewhat limited, so we were looking at going with higher efficiency modules. No major shading issues.

I have a pool and an EV that I charge every few days. Last year's usage was 10,800. The previous year was approx 12,000. I may add another EV in the next couple of years as range increases.

Below are the 3 options I'm looking at with this installer after a fair deal of negotiation:

Option #1
          7.680 kw
          Est production 11,520
          24 LG 320 Modules
          SE 7600 w/ optimizers
          Pre-Incentive $24,960
          $3.25/watt

Option #2
          7.590 kw
          23 Panasonic 330 Modules
          Est production 11,385
          SE 7600 w/ optimizers
          Pre-Incentive $24,667
          $3.25/watt

Option #3
          6.930 kw
          Est production 10,740
          21 Panasonic 330 Modules
          SE 7600 w/ optimizers
          Pre-Incentive $22,250
          $3.21/watt

The installer has also agreed as part of the above pricing (in lieu of a further reduction in contract price) to install a new 240 volt run (will be about a 20 foot run) for my future 2nd EV. If I factor in a conservative $500 value for that, I'm around $3.18/watt.

A few questions:

1. Is $3.25/watt price a fair price for the SoCal market?

2. Given my usage at 10,800, the higher usage the year before, and the potential 2nd EV, and degradation, does it make more sense to go with one of the larger systems like options #1 and #2?

3. To future proof, would it make sense to add one more module to either option #1 or #2 at a cost of another $1,200 or just buy any necessary power from SCE?

4. Any preference between the Panny and LG modules?

5. Any questions I should ask about method of sealing the roof penetrations through my concrete tile roof?

Thanks in advance for any feedback you are able to offer. I really appreciate it and all the great comments/moderation on this site!
          1.) Probably not bad, but don't confuse low buck with most bang for the buck (go for quality and think long term).
          2.) Probably not. If your proposed array has decent orientation and little shade, you'll generate something like ~ 1,600+ kWh/yr. per installed STC kW in So. CA. That 1,500 kWh/yr./per STC kW is a bit light.
          3.) Do the math. $1,200/325 Watt = $3.69/Watt. That's more than the $3.25/Watt for the entire system. Unless something causes a big system change, it ought to cost about the same or more likely less/Watt to add a panel. That dog is dancing with your leg.
          4.) Beyond the basics of getting good quality, panels are pretty much of a commodity. these days.
          5.) Just think of a big rainstorm in the winter and how you'll feel with a boatload of new holes in your roof. I used double flashing, watched the layout being done, checked to ensure rafter hits and paid for double flashing of 8" standoffs. Attachments, penetrations and sealing/leak protection are the LAST place you want to cheap out or assume anything. Trust but verify. Also, get your roof inspected and serviced, at least the portion of it under the array. PV will last a long time. Give the roof under it the best chance of lasting as long. An added expense, but in the end, cheap insurance you will not regret.
          Last edited by J.P.M.; 03-01-2017, 12:04 AM. Reason: Spelling.

Comment

• OCRick
            • Feb 2017

Originally posted by philips
            Look into time of use rates with SCE to see if this will benefit/affect you - and consider the array orientation with respect to afternoon peak rates.
            Thanks. I looked into it a couple years ago, but a wife and young kids at home made it make less sense. Wife is back to work part time and kids are in school and activities most days. I'll revisit to see if it makes sense. Appreciate the idea.

Comment

• OCRick
              • Feb 2017

Originally posted by J.P.M.

1.) Probably not bad, but don't confuse low buck with most bang for the buck (go for quality and think long term).
              2.) Probably not. If your proposed array has decent orientation and little shade, you'll generate something like ~ 1,600+ kWh/yr. per installed STC kW in So. CA. That 1,500 kWh/yr./per STC kW is a bit light.
              3.) Do the math. $1,200/325 Watt = $3.69/Watt. That's more than the $3.25/Watt for the entire system. Unless something causes a big system change, it ought to cost about the same or more likely less/Watt to add a panel. That dog is dancing with your leg.
              4.) Beyond the basics of getting good quality, panels are pretty much of a commodity. theses days.
              5.) Just think of a big rainstorm in the winter and how you'll feel with a boatload of new holes in your roof. I used double flashing, watched the layout being done, checked to ensure rafter hits and paid for double flashing of 8" standoffs. Attachments, penetrations and sealing/leak protection are the LAST place you want to cheap out or assume anything. Trust but verify. Also, get your roof inspected and serviced, at least the portion of it under the array. PV will last a long time. Give the roof under it the best chance of lasting as long. An added expense, but in the end, cheap insurance you will not regret.
              Thank you JPM for the thoughtful and informative responses. I was less than precise with the $1200 figure I gave to add an extra panel. I was guesstimating the added cost (hadn't yet been quoted it by the installer), but forgot that I'm asking questions in a forum where precision counts .

Appreciate all your other comments, especially the pointed guidance on the roof. You're right, I certainly don't want any future problems with the roof and/or leaks. Thanks so much! This is a fantastic forum and I'm glad I found it.
              Last edited by OCRick; 02-28-2017, 09:53 PM.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by OCRick

Thank you JPM for the thoughtful and informative responses. I was less than precise with the $1200 figure I gave to add an extra panel. I was guesstimating the added cost (hadn't yet been quoted it by the installer), but forgot that I'm asking questions in a forum where precision counts .

Appreciate all your other comments, especially the pointed guidance on the roof. You're right, I certainly don't want any future problems with the roof and/or leaks. Thanks so much! This is a fantastic forum and I'm glad I found it.
                You're most welcome. Garner all opinions and question everything everyone says, maybe, and even particularly, my stuff. None of us is as smart as all of us. Welcome to the neighborhood and the forum of few(er) illusions.

Comment

• sceblack
                  • Mar 2017

OC Rick I am also in the market for a similar system in Orange County. New to the forum so I am not sure if there is a direct message option, but can you send me which vendor you have been researching (either DM or post it up here). I am looking for a very similar setup and it looks like your pricing is better than what I have found in my initial research. Also did they go up on the roof during the estimate?

Comment

• J.P.M.
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by sceblack
                    OC Rick I am also in the market for a similar system in Orange County. New to the forum so I am not sure if there is a direct message option, but can you send me which vendor you have been researching (either DM or post it up here). I am looking for a very similar setup and it looks like your pricing is better than what I have found in my initial research. Also did they go up on the roof during the estimate?
                    There are no PM's.

Comment

• sceblack
                      • Mar 2017

Originally posted by J.P.M.

There are no PM's.
                      Got it. Not sure if you are allowed to openly refer companies,

Admin note, its not a good idea to put your email address. You can mention installers, just dont link to their website or give out contact details, we dont encourage those seeking referral fee's, cheers
                      Last edited by solar pete; 03-02-2017, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Working...