X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HX_Guy
    Solar Fanatic
    • Apr 2014

Back on the roof again today...

Added 11 more panels (3.11 kW, bringing system size 15.51kW) to to my home solar system to charge the car, additional panels should produce an additional 5,175kWh which is roughly 17,000 miles per year of driving (I may be a little optimistic here, that's at 300Wh/ mile..but even at 350Wh/mile, that would get me about 15,000 miles.

Used a new product we've been using for the past couple months called E-Curb. Pretty amazing stuff, forms a solid rubber seal around the penetrations.

• J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Looks like what we used to delicately call puss pockets back in the day when designing attachment/fixtures for equipment mounting on flat roofs or elevated structural sections. Same idea that used roof cement/tar/etc. for filler. We usually avoided using that system unless on a (sometimes created) smooth surface as possible, and with some raised dimension at the penetration. Needed periodic inspection for expansion/shrinkage damage, particularly if a deck flange was employed as your system shows. Hope you can get at them for inspection.

New filler material. Very old and workable idea, and probably as good as most currently used for PV attachment, provided you can get at them for inspection, etc. Based on some long ago experience, I'd watch out for shrinkage of the filler including upward from the surface decking leaving unseen/tiny gaps or leak paths around the base at the circumference and over the face of the bowl at the flange or cracking/shrinkage/splitting/deterioration of the bowl itself.

Comment

Working...