X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• solar energy

Can anyone tell me solar energy can be used as to heat a home? If yes, then how?

Originally posted by Isoul90 View Post
    Can anyone tell me solar energy can be used as to heat a home? If yes, then how?
    Yes, using solar thermal panels or passive solar gain construction.
    Heating using Photovoltaic (PV) panels is not generally an effective option, but for a very few it may be worth looking into.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Here in Maine solar heating is common among DIY home builders. Commercial home construction does not seem to focus on it much though.

If you start with Passive Solar design you can certainly reduce heating costs by up to 80% [or more]

There are various methods of Active Solar Thermal that provide the complete heating system Maine homes need.

Look at 'net-zero' homes.
      4400w, Midnite Classic 150 charge-controller.

Comment

As Inetdog notes, it's possible.

I'd add that it's less practical and often less cost effective in colder climates that get less sun (for example, think NE-upper Midwest).

For existing, and more conventional style dwellings, lifestyle changes and energy conservation measures including a retrofit with a well insulated and sealed building envelope will usually yield better results and savings, with solar picking up some of the remaining (and lower) loads, mostly in the shoulder seasons. That solar however, will come with a much lower cost effectiveness (a longer payback) than conservation measures for the $$ investment required.

Even for new, somewhat off beat and specific designs - passive solar or super insulated designs, or a combination of both - a 100% solar fraction is still very difficult to achieve in cold, cloudy climates, regardless of the method. As a practical matter, that makes a 100 % solar heating fraction done in a cost effective manner effectively impossible to achieve, particularly if keeping most folks sensibilities somewhat intact with respect to lifestyle is one of the design goals.

A lot of energy use reduction done in a cost effective manner is still possible however. It just requires a slight shift away from the all or nothing mode of throwing cost ineffective and often inappropriate solar measures at a large heating bill before other more appropriate and cost effective measures are taken.

Bottom line: If the goal is to stay warm in the winter and not go broke doing it, and thus doing so by doing the most cost effective stuff first - most bang for the buck - solar of most any sort and particularly PV is down the list and close to the last thing done.
        Last edited by J.P.M.; 01-17-2017, 12:13 PM.

Comment

A home designed with or are lucky enough to have Windows that allow light in certain times of the year with curtains tediously opened. And energy saving honeycomb cellular blinds everywhere. Light passing cellular shades that is. And extra layers of insulating blankets or curtains over those cellular shades. And likewise in the summer they keep heat out, but allow working light in. And I can verify solar space heater, even a thirty-year-old 1 makes a huge difference even in the winter. In Packer land that is.

Comment

Well everything commented so far is absolutely correct......heating your ENTIRE home with PV energy is inefficient and cost prohibitive. But there are exceptions....IF you heat the smaller spaces you are in rather than the entire house.

Yes, space heating with PV is cost efficient if it is done wisely. Heat storage is the key. Store the heat when the sun shines and then release the heat as you need it. Lots of systems to do this but I have found that storing heat in ceramic bricks works very well.

Comment

Its difficult and typically not cost effective. On the other hand if your situation isn't too difficult, and you plan carefully, you might
              pull it off. An effective method here in NW IL seems to be grid tie and some of the latest, most efficient heat pumps. Been
              doing it for 4 winters here. Bruce Roe

Comment

I let the sun shine on the woods, cut the trees, and burn for heat. Solar heating, the long way around.
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

I could direct you to a guy that has a new product as an addition to his existing controller. He says that PV is now the cheapest form of energy for heating. But then, I would be kicked off the board.

Comment

Originally posted by PNPmacnab View Post
                    I could direct you to a guy that has a new product as an addition to his existing controller. He says that PV is now the cheapest form of energy for heating. But then, I would be kicked off the board.
                    I have a bridge to sell if you would like one.

Comment

I could direct you to a guy that has a new product as an addition to his existing controller. He says that PV is now the cheapest form of energy for heating.
                      Yep. And I could direct you to someone who claims that doing this ONE WEIRD TRICK will make your belly fat melt away, for the low low price of $399.95. Guaranteed!

Comment

I'll give you the belly fat trick for free, apple cider vinegar. How does PNP McNabb have so much orange bar recognition, and be so distrusted by The Trusted guys here?

Comment

Originally posted by Brian53713 View Post
                          I'll give you the belly fat trick for free, apple cider vinegar. How does PNP McNabb have so much orange bar recognition, and be so distrusted by The Trusted guys here?
                          Another belly fat trick: Eat less, exercise more. Add persistence and determination. Stir well. Works most every time with lots of side bennies.

Comment

Dacian is not a bad sort, he just likes to ignore some details in his calculations. And that the general public has any hope of filling in the blanks of his solutions. He also live like the Unibomber ( a local boy). He does have interesting ideas and being Canadian, is polite. Personalities aside I talk about what is possible, not probable. My stuff works. Frankly I don't know much about all this commercial stuff you buy. I design all my own controls since the commercial stuff doesn't integrate well. Not everything has to be designed like a hospital backup. It appears some people are happy to hear anything different.

Comment

Dacian is not a bad sort, he just likes to ignore some details in his calculations.
                              You did it again. Defending another Fraud like yourself pretending to be an expert. Electrocudus has been banned by many Forums including this one.
                              Last edited by Sunking; 01-29-2017, 02:02 PM.
                              MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
                              X