X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SolarEdge master/slave question

I currently have a SolarEdge SE11400 inverter with a hard wired Ethernet connection (no Zigbee). I have on order an additional ten 335 watt panels and a SE5000 inverter. I will be connecting the two inverters via the RS485 connection.

My question is, will the new inverter automatically see itself as a slave to the existing Ethernet connected master or will I need to go in and tweak the settings for this?

Thanks,
    Greg

Originally posted by GRickard View Post
    I currently have a SolarEdge SE11400 inverter with a hard wired Ethernet connection (no Zigbee). I have on order an additional ten 335 watt panels and a SE5000 inverter. I will be connecting the two inverters via the RS485 connection.

My question is, will the new inverter automatically see itself as a slave to the existing Ethernet connected master or will I need to go in and tweak the settings for this?

Thanks,
    Greg
    I am not sure why any SolarEdge inverter on one system should need to communicate with a second SE inverter that is connected to a separate PV subarray. As long as each one only sees the modules that are connected to its own inputs there should be no coordination necessary.
    Or are you simply referring to getting both inverters' data over the common Ethernet link?
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post

I am not sure why any SolarEdge inverter on one system should need to communicate with a second SE inverter that is connected to a separate PV subarray. As long as each one only sees the modules that are connected to its own inputs there should be no coordination necessary.
      Or are you simply referring to getting both inverters' data over the common Ethernet link?
      There are a few reasons you would want to have them communicate.
      if you are doing grid zero would be one (probably the main)
      if you have a storedge and want it to control the non-storedge system (for some form of production management similar to grid zero).

for simple monitoring they can just be linked to the same account.
      If you look in the installation manual you see that you would need to set the one inverter to some other address to get it to work.
      OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post
        Yes, just for the monitoring portal.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by GRickard View Post

Yes, just for the monitoring portal.

Greg
          well you could put ethernet on both of the inverters RS-485 between the two and one of them has ethernet

I think it is around page 80 http://solaredge.com/sites/default/f...-manual-na.pdf
          OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

I got the panels installed this morning and turned on the new inverter. It turns out you do have to go into the settings on the Ethernet connected inverter (with the power switch "off")and tell it to be the master and then tell it to hunt for slave inverters. After that it took right off and is reporting back as one system with two inverters.

Comment

Working...
            X