Is a TSRF 56% system cutting electric bill by 50% for $25,382 after rebate worth it?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BiT
    • Jan 2017

Is a TSRF 56% system cutting electric bill by 50% for $25,382 after rebate worth it?

So I was recently presented an attractive offer in Massachusetts at $3.02/W

39 LG Neon 320 Panel
    System Size: 12.48 kW
    Turnkey Pricing: $37,689 ($3.02/W)

$25,382 after rebates.

The TSRF is 56% and annual consumption is estimated at 9,000 kW, so I would be getting around 9 SRECs per year. That's about $2,250/year but obviously subject to lower returns.

We just moved to our house and do not have an electrical history. Our only heat source is electric (Heat Pump and Electric baseboard). The Heat Pump is not very efficient so the winter months are pretty expensive. My December bill alone was $830. Now, this might be a bit skewed since we had some issues that were figured out. Based on this factor, some companies forecasted 25,000 kW/year. I think my fix will help it be more about 18.000 kW. So at a production of 9,000 kW, I would be getting about half my annual energy from the sun.

With that said, does moving forward with a system that only has a TSRF of 56% worth it? It would "only" cut my bill in half each month. Also, the SREC II program could always have the certificates tank. The program is really the only way I would recoup my money, since I won't be generating as much as I would hope.

• bcroe
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2012

The latest mini split heat pumps are effective at much lower temps, and run at much higher efficiency than
    older equipment. These might be a better investment than PV, though at the most extreme low temps you
    will probably be running resistance heat for a while. Bruce Roe

Comment

• peakbagger
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jun 2010

My standard advise to someone in Mass is its better to install solar then to pay for your neighbor to install it. Mass is dumping all sort costs on the utilities and they are dumping it back on the remaining ratepayers.

Comment

Working...