X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BiT
    • Jan 2017

Massachusetts SREC II Program & Help Choosing Installer

For those in Massachusetts, I assume you all know about the SREC II program, which is a state initiative that pays you for energy produced. The program is being redesigned "this summer" as early as May 8th but could easily be pushed out beyond that to this fall or even Q1 2018. No one in the state knows. However, most of us are trying to desperately to get into SREC II before it changes (maybe for the worst).

I have what I consider two very good quotes. Both companies are highly reviewed on Solar Reviews, however, one blows the other out of the water because of a length company history and 80+ reviews on Angie's List. We will call the one I want to work with Company B. Company A is well reviewed, but only 16 reviews out there.

Company A did everything online and never came to the house. They used Aurora imaging to design my system, however, this didn't take into account trees taken down. They adjust their quote once I provided them Company B's bid. They have since then been battling one another over price. I really like the vibe of Company B and get a good feeling out of them and in fact they have the best quote. The one bad thing is they are fully booked on installs until April/May, which makes the potential shut off date of SREC II a little too close for comfort. Company A on the other hand can install as early as the end of February. Should this be alarming in itself? Company B obviously has a lot of business and clearly succeeds. I would imagine they will be in business for the long haul (10 years). Company A clearly doesn't have a huge work load - so is this a concern?

I am just looking for people's opinions on what they think the Massachusetts Department of Energy will be doing and if April/May install is a bit too risky to manage. Again, I would rather work with Company B but the install date has me concerned. Company A appears good, but they seem a bit more on the "car salesperson" side of things. The one plus (aside from price) is they will undoubtedly get me in on SREC II on time.

For reference

Company A:

39 LG Neon 320 Panel
    System Size: 12.48 KW
    Turnkey Pricing: $39,936
    Marketing Rebate: $1,436
    Net System Cost: $38, 500 ($3.09/W)

Company B:

39 LG Neon 320 Panel
    System Size: 12.48 KW
    Turnkey Pricing: $37,689 ($3.02/W)

Last edited by BiT; 01-06-2017, 04:10 PM.
  • solar pete
    Administrator
    • May 2014

Hello BiT and welcome to Solar Panel Talk. I would think a few more quotes wont hurt, click on the banner add and www.solar-estimate.org should get you a few more quotes and check www.solarreviews.com for your zip code to find installers that service your area.

The other thing if you really like company B ask them if they can can meet your time line and get it written into the contract, the prices seem OK.

Comment

• georgepds
      • Aug 2012

Too late .. the DOER has just issued new rules that all new installations will be paid a fixed sum of $192/MWH for a period of 10 years (2/7/17)

RIP SREC 2

Comment

• BiT
        • Jan 2017

Originally posted by georgepds
        Too late .. the DOER has just issued new rules that all new installations will be paid a fixed sum of $192/MWH for a period of 10 years (2/7/17)

RIP SREC 2
        This does not go into effect until Jan/2018. The residential SREC II program will continue until the official start of the tariff program. So those who want to get in on the SREC II should get crackin'!

Comment

• DanS26
          Solar Fanatic
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by georgepds

RIP SREC 2
          I would go "Gaga" over $192 per MWh..........IL pays me just $18 per MWh and I have no other choice here in Indiana. Count your lucky stars.............

Comment

• georgepds
            • Aug 2012

Originally posted by BiT

This does not go into effect until Jan/2018. The residential SREC II program will continue until the official start of the tariff program. So those who want to get in on the SREC II should get crackin'!
            Nope... according to my installer from now on all new installations will be under the new reqs

Cost me the prce of a second monitor for my expansion

Comment

• georgepds
              • Aug 2012

My mistake.. I am expanding an srec 1 ssystem and the expansion comes under srec 2

"The DOER recently released the finalized version of it's next solar incentive program to replace the SREC2 program. In the details, we were told that any system that comes online( new or expansion) will qualify under the SREC 2 pricing of $192/ 1000 kwh produced. Your system expansion will be locked into that payment schedule for 10 years. "

My current srec 1 has another 7 years. The expansion will be under srec2 and last 10 years

Comment

Working...