• Show
Clear All
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by karrak
    Uni-T is the brand name. Just do a Google search "Uni-t 210E"
    More Chi-Com Junk from Karrak.

Clamp-Ons are great for Verification and testing for DIY's and even pros. But you giv eup accuracy at their lower ranges. For bench testing or other accurate applications use a SHUNT. A Shunt is nothing more than a precision Power Resistor and scale to 20, 50, and some 100 millivolt full scale at about any current range you want from 1-Amp to 1000 Amps. All it takes is a good accurate volt meter to use. You can even buy a decent Panel Volt Meter if you are making a test rig.

If you want Chi-Com use a Hobby Power Meter. for $10 to $40 measure everything. They use a Current Shunt. You can measure voltage, current, power, amp hours, watt hours. Or as Jeff says if you want a Clamp-On both Blue and Orange Box stores sell them in the electrical dept. At least if they fail, you can get a refund or replacement easily, and someone to sue if need be. .
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• dennis461
      • Nov 2015

Wow.
      This thread started with "Happy new year to all. "
      I think we have disappointed the new member.

Dennis
      SE5000 18 each SW185

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

Originally posted by karrak
        I you want a cheap 100A AC/DC clamp meter with a maximum resolution of 1mA I would recommend the Uni-T UT210E.

The build is a little flimsy and I wouldn't use it for high voltage work but it works well.
        beware the warning, When karrak gives a warning, it's got to be heeded.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Mike90250
          • May 2009

Originally posted by Yen
          jflorey2. Sounds interesting. Any chance you can send me a diagram/schematic of what you did?----
          Cheater Cords are beyond the scope of what this forum can endorse. They bypass critical safety measures, and if you have to ask how to implement one, you are unsafe using one. sorry to be harsh, maybe google has an answer for you.

A cheater cord, sometimes referred to as a "man killer" cord, serves as an improvised cable connector from a wall socket to a peripheral device, such as an old stereo or amplifier. A cheater cord is sometimes made and used when an original power cord for a rare or outdated electronic device is missing or cannot be replaced or ordered. A cheater cord has safety issues and should only be used as a last resort, since shock to a person and damage to an appliance or piece of hardware is a possibility.
          Last edited by Mike90250; 01-07-2017, 03:57 PM.
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

• Yen
            • Jan 2017

Simon, Thanks. Think I am going to buy one for general use.

Comment

• jflorey2
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Yen
              jflorey2. Sounds interesting. Any chance you can send me a diagram/schematic of what you did? Email address is limyenheng@shaw.ca
              It's the kind of thing where if you don't know how to do it, you shouldn't be doing it to begin with; too many ways to kill yourself. Sorry.

Comment

• Sunking
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2010

Originally posted by jflorey2
                It's the kind of thing where if you don't know how to do it, you shouldn't be doing it to begin with; too many ways to kill yourself. Sorry.
                Agree 100%. Or as Mike said a sure way to get hurt is follow Karrak's advice.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• Yen
                  • Jan 2017

My apologies. I was too consumed with my project that I did not pay much attention to all the rhetoric on safety issues about the cheater cord. Although solar panels may be new to me, general electrical circuitries are not. Antique radio has been my hobby since I was a kid at school and that was more than 60 years ago. Being brought up in a different society I am not used to some of the terminology (cheater cord for example) used here in North America. I thank those of you for your safety concerns but don't worry. Just cough out valuable and much needed information for my project. I am looking for a less expensive and, as much as is possible, non-invasive method/s to conform with government electrical codes. Thank you again for taking the time. Yen

Comment

• Sunking
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Yen
                    I am looking for a less expensive and, as much as is possible, non-invasive method/s to conform with government electrical codes. Thank you again for taking the time. Yen
                    Simple use a Shunt. When it comes to electrical codes of specialized one of a kind test equipment, there are not any codes. Uncle Sam expects you to know what you are doing.
                    Last edited by Sunking; 01-08-2017, 08:46 PM.
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

• Yen
                      • Jan 2017

Sunking, thanks. Using a shunt at the output end of the micro invertor (I guess that is what you want) simply measures the voltage at that point. But, at that point there will be a voltage reading whether the micro invertor side is functioning or not. That is, even when the solar panel and the micro invertor end is not producing I can still be measuring the grid voltage. I feel measuring current flow is my only solution. May be I am wrong. What do you say?

Comment

• Yen
                        • Jan 2017

Sunking. I could have got your idea all wrong. You might be referring to a shunt resistor connected across a volt meter and then inserted in series into the main circuit. In that case I shall have to break the main circuit every time I need to take a measurement. This is the same as using a suitable ampere meter. Not convenient. If none of my fore going assumptions are correct then please explain.

Comment

• Yen
                          • Jan 2017

Sunking. Looking back to all the postings I found yours dated 01-07-2017 at 02-53PM which I missed. It is a I thought in my posting a few moments ago. I do have to break the circuit. Will keep that in mind. Thank you and sorry for the confusion.

Comment

• Sunking
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Yen
                            Sunking, thanks. Using a shunt at the output end of the micro invertor (I guess that is what you want) simply measures the voltage at that point.
                            No Sir it measures current, not voltage.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• Sunking
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Yen
                              Sunking. I could have got your idea all wrong. You might be referring to a shunt resistor connected across a volt meter and then inserted in series into the main circuit. In that case I shall have to break the main circuit every time I need to take a measurement. This is the same as using a suitable ampere meter. Not convenient. If none of my fore going assumptions are correct then please explain.
                              Test rig. No need to break any circuit.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• Mike90250
                                • May 2009

Originally posted by Yen
                                Sunking, thanks. Using a shunt at the output end of the micro invertor (I guess that is what you want) simply measures the voltage at that point. But, at that point there will be a voltage reading whether the micro invertor side is functioning or not. That is, even when the solar panel and the micro invertor end is not producing I can still be measuring the grid voltage. I feel measuring current flow is my only solution. May be I am wrong. What do you say?
                                You have no idea how a shunt works, or how to wire it. Better learn electricity before you make a costly mistake.

Comment

Working...