X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sigfreund
    • Dec 2016

SolarEdge minimum number of active panels to produce?

I am leaning toward SolarEdge but cannot find any info on when SE will start producing. Under extreme conditions if only a few panels are in the sun, how many are required to start producing? With micro inverters even if only 1 panel is in the sun it would be producing but since SE string "always" is putting out 350v it would stand to reason that a substantial number of panels would need to be illuminated. If I install my panels in 3 different sides of my house getting better sun at different times of the day would I be better off going with micro inverters if say SE requires half or more of the panels and in early mornings or later in the day I don't have the "minimum" number of panels producing. I am very roof limited and have some major shade issues I am trying to work around.
  • ButchDeal
    Solar Fanatic
    • Apr 2014

You just need 8 modules per string and they can be shaded and still produce power. Bare minimum is 6 modules per string.

it will produce fine with even one west facing module and 7 east facing in the evening,

also the strings put put out about 350v but that can change depending on cercumstances to 400+V.
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• sigfreund
      • Dec 2016

How hard would it be to add some panels later to a Solaredge system? If I went with a 7.6kw inverter but only initially went with 18 x 280w panels (5kw) would it be difficult to add another 8 panels. Would it be better to go with a 5kw inverter since 24 x 280w would be less than the recommended "oversize" limit for the inverter?

Comment

• dex
        • Jun 2016

Originally posted by sigfreund
        How hard would it be to add some panels later to a Solaredge system? If I went with a 7.6kw inverter but only initially went with 18 x 280w panels (5kw) would it be difficult to add another 8 panels. Would it be better to go with a 5kw inverter since 24 x 280w would be less than the recommended "oversize" limit for the inverter?
        It would be easy since you're using MC4 connections. A SE5000 would work but if it were me I would just go with a 6000 and give yourself a little more room for not much extra cost.

Comment

• ButchDeal
          Solar Fanatic
          • Apr 2014

It is trivial as long as each string is at least 8 modules and under the max wattage. I would go with the SE7600 as it is the most capable and future upgradable to storedge.

Comment

• sigfreund
            • Dec 2016

I have a buddy who is skeptical if you are claiming that SE will produce power if 7 panels are in complete shade and 1 is in full sunlight. Anyone else with SE experience can comment?

Comment

• inetdog
              Super Moderator
              • May 2012

I have a buddy who is skeptical if you are claiming that SE will produce power if 7 panels are in complete shade and 1 is in full sunlight. Anyone else with SE experience can comment?
              I am sure that ButchDeal was talking about diffuse or partial shading of the other panels. And enough current/voltage for the inverter to start is a lower bar to reach than producing useful power.

I agree that total darkness on 7 of 8 panels is a non-starter. [pun intended]
              SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                Solar Fanatic
                • Apr 2014

Originally posted by inetdog

I am sure that ButchDeal was talking about diffuse or partial shading of the other panels. And enough current/voltage for the inverter to start is a lower bar to reach than producing useful power.

I agree that total darkness on 7 of 8 panels is a non-starter. [pun intended]

Yes there would have to be diffuse light such as an array of 7 modules facing east with one module facing west, in evening sun. The east would have diffuse light.
                If you were to cover 7 modules with cardboard the 8th would not be producing either.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Apr 2014

Define complete shade? 7 modules facing east in the evening is diffuse light and it would still produce.

7 modules under foot of snow and one exposed, not going to produce.

Comment

• dennis461
                    • Nov 2015

..... I am very roof limited and have some major shade issues I am trying to work around.
                    You really should use the website i listed below to get an idea how much energy your system will produce.
                    It may not be cost effective, regardless of the system you choose.
                    While the power optimizers in Solar edge keep power going out on a rainy day (major shade), it is very low, 1/10 or less of normal output.

Try and figure how much money you save each year then determine what year the system is paid off. The compare to

Estimates the energy production and cost of energy of grid-connected photovoltaic (PV) energy systems throughout the world. It allows homeowners, small building owners, installers and manufacturers to easily develop estimates of the performance of potential PV installations

Dennis
                    Camden County, NJ, USA
                    19 SW285 panels
                    SE5000 inverter
                    grid tied
                    Dennis
                    SE5000 18 each SW185

Comment

• foo1bar
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2014

I have 2 strings of 16.
                      I regularly have 5 of them getting direct (but poor angle) sunlight in the evening with the other 11 getting no direct sunlight.
                      and the 5 in the light generate 50W or 100W (280W modules) and the other 11 are at 10-20W.
                      With that string I have 5 west facing, 4 south facing and 7 east facing. (Actually about 255, 165 and 75 degrees)

The other string in late evening I get no direct sun on all but 4 - and partial shade (2nd floor shadow) on 2 of those 4 and it still looks like I can get production (ie. ~10W each on the ones in shadow, 30W on the partial shade and 50W on the ones in sun)

Comment

• adoublee
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Aug 2009

In the end it's going to depend on if the optimizer can get enough voltage to put out voltages that add up sufficiently for inverter to produce grid voltage. It takes very little sunlight for a panel to get up to voltage, with current available from panel changing as sunlight intensity changes. They optimizer converts the voltage and current, but needs a certain level of initial voltage to build up the sufficient string voltage.

Comment

• inetdog
                          Super Moderator
                          • May 2012

Originally posted by adoublee

In the end it's going to depend on if the optimizer can get enough voltage to put out voltages that add up sufficiently for inverter to produce grid voltage. It takes very little sunlight for a panel to get up to voltage, with current available from panel changing as sunlight intensity changes. They optimizer converts the voltage and current, but needs a certain level of initial voltage to build up the sufficient string voltage.
                          Actually it is going to depend on whether the optimizer can get up enough input current to run itself and have some to spare for creating output current.
                          The output voltage could be as low as 1V, it think, even with 40V in if the input current is limited.
                          The sunny panel is going to be able to deliver both current and voltage depending on what is needed, but it may not be able to step up the voltage far enough to meet the inverter input minimum on its own. And the shaded panels will not be able to help much.
                          SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• adoublee
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by inetdog

Actually it is going to depend on whether the optimizer can get up enough input current to run itself and have some to spare for creating output current.
                            The output voltage could be as low as 1V, it think, even with 40V in if the input current is limited.
                            The sunny panel is going to be able to deliver both current and voltage depending on what is needed, but it may not be able to step up the voltage far enough to meet the inverter input minimum on its own. And the shaded panels will not be able to help much.
                            No, the inverter is not going to produce power when the optimizers put out their "I'm here" 1V. The optimizers change their output voltage as required to create a string of approximately 350VDC for a 240V residential inverter. When doing that, current is what it is which is why their is a low end number of optimizers (have to get the voltage built up) and a top end (have to limit the current that could be created. In a similar way a 480VAC inverter is going to want to see even higher voltages, and requires a minimum of 18 optimizers in a string to build up the voltage.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Apr 2014

It is nice that everyone has ideas on what happens and how it works etc. They do start up with low light rather easily. Here is a minimal system of 8 modules (Canadian Solar 280M) in NY (Bronx) with a 30 degree tilt to SW (240 degrees).
                              This particular system actually started up on January 1/1 at 7:30 am with just 4.31 watts total but the photo is from 8:00 am with 35.58watts Layout.jpg

you can also see it on pvoutput: http://pvoutput.org/intraday.jsp?id=...13&dt=20170101

just to make it a little more clear here is a graph of the same day (1/1/2017) showing ONE module (1.0.6) with green being panel voltage and red being optimizer voltage, Blue is Current: Chart.jpg

and just because everyone asks about the DC voltage this one is nice and smooth around 372V with AC at 245V

Chart2.jpg
                              Last edited by ButchDeal; 01-05-2017, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Working...