X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • miracj
    • Dec 2016

Internet Network Security with power monitoring

I have a question about Solar PV power monitoring that uses your internet. With Sunpower monitoring for AC panels, it uses either a hardwire ethernet cable, your wireless internet, or a powerline (internet over AC).

The hardwire internet has no real protection to my network (although, if I knew what ports the power monitor used, etc., I could restrict it in my router).

The wireless internet has the same problem as wired, except now it has my SSID and password. The only possible solution I see is to use the guest wireless connection, or a 2nd wireless router.

The powerline solution has a security button on a box that connects to my wired internet, but the built-in powerline inside the sunpower power monitor does not have a security button. Thus, someone just plugging into an outside power outlet at my house might have access to my network. And then it still has the issue with the hardwire solution.

Thus in this day of home automation with internet access, we are potentially opening up our homes to hackers.

Sunpower's response to me that it is plug and play and that it just sends data back to Sunpower and that my network is safe.

Anybody have any thoughts or comments?
  • cebury
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2011

I don't know how the sun power monitoring works, But as with other internet-of-things, you segment your network and keep that within its own VLAN. You can implement MAC filtering on most routers nowadays, so only that particular device has access to its lan. Those two changes shouldn't affect it's out going networking. Then, the part you are probably asking about is to figure out which ports it needs for incoming access, if any. I don't know what they are, but it may not need any port forwarding for incoming traffic. Sorry can't offer much specific help.

Comment

• thomasashwin
      • Feb 2017

Hi all,
      I am also agree with Cebury that still I am also in confuse that will networking works un solar energy because if it will happen then we will use networking with a low price.But usually I am contacting with Wanos for my WAN. So on my view installing WAN service is the good option for you. You have to try once.
      Thank you.

Comment

• mikestecker
        • Feb 2017

I did what cebury said, set up a separate VLAN on my network for my "internet of things" devices such as my Ecobee, the Sunpower monitoring system, etc... I also set up a separate SSID for this VLAN as well.

Comment

• cebury
          Solar Fanatic
          • Sep 2011

Nice.

Comment

• DanKegel
            Banned
            • Sep 2014

For what it's worth, I've had an infected wireless router already (I only noticed because it started scanning my LAN and sending out exploit http requests), but as far as I know my solaredge hasn't been infected yet.

So, while you're worrying about security, make sure your router is a well-maintained model with up to date firmware. I haven't really looked for one I truly trust yet, routersecurity.org has some very geeky suggestions.

Comment

• mikestecker
              • Feb 2017

Originally posted by DanKegel
              For what it's worth, I've had an infected wireless router already (I only noticed because it started scanning my LAN and sending out exploit http requests), but as far as I know my solaredge hasn't been infected yet.

So, while you're worrying about security, make sure your router is a well-maintained model with up to date firmware. I haven't really looked for one I truly trust yet, routersecurity.org has some very geeky suggestions.
              I use Ubiquiti's Unifi Security Gateway. It's phenomenal. Between that, a POE switch and some POE access points (all from Ubiquiti), I think I have my network all dialed in just the way I want it. I had never heard of the company before but now I'm a believer and swear by their products. They are incredibly secure, the hardware is great, software is great and it's really flexible as well.

Comment

Working...