X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by barron View Post
    Cambyses, if you don't mind me asking who did you sign with? I tried private messaging you, but I can't seem to do it?
    There are no PM's on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by barron View Post
      Cambyses, if you don't mind me asking who did you sign with? I tried private messaging you, but I can't seem to do it?
      LA Solar Group... Signed early December, followed by another amendment a couple of weeks later to replace the tar paper on our roof (only the section below the panels). The process was fairly smooth and most of the panels were already installed a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, apparently there was some miscommunication or something between them and SunPower that a few panels were missing from the first delivery. So they have now installed most of the panels as well as all the rails, wiring, etc., and I am just waiting for them to come back and install the remaining few panels. The frequent rain here has made a bit more difficult to schedule the installation. I cannot comment much on the quality of their work yet, but looking at the boxes, conduit, and the wiring installed, and comparing with what I see for a couple of our neighbors, I can say that, at least cosmetically, they seem to have done a better job. And so far, the only payment I have made is the initial $1000 payment upon contract signature.

Comment

All I can say is if you own SP stock sell it now so you get something out of it. The house of cards has collapsed and SP will gone in a year or less. SunPower stck has fallen from $136 per share to $7 amd going lower. Sales are tumbling and they owe more than the company is worth. As of now they are insolvent and no one is going to lend tham a dime or buy the stock. Stick a fork in it they are done.

Not all bad news for Investors. A great stock to Short or Options. Skin the suckers that still own shares. All solar manufactures are in deep poo poo. The scam has been exposed.
        Last edited by Sunking; 02-18-2017, 09:16 PM.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Well I would not say a scam has been exposed, I would say SP have been in strife for a while and that due to the recent regime change in US there may be an emphasis put onto buying locally made solar products. So in the months to come we may see happy days ahead for some or potentially new US manufacturer. Not all solar manufacturers are in deep poo poo some of them are doing very nicely, people just love solar some people just dont seem to get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
            All I can say is if you own SP stock sell it now so you get something out of it. The house of cards has collapsed and SP will gone in a year or less. SunPower stck has fallen from $136 per share to $7 amd going lower. Sales are tumbling and they owe more than the company is worth. As of now they are insolvent and no one is going to lend tham a dime or buy the stock. Stick a fork in it they are done.

Not all bad news for Investors. A great stock to Short or Options. Skin the suckers that still own shares. All solar manufactures are in deep poo poo. The scam has been exposed.
            With the French oil outfit Total owning about 60% of SP, they have access to some deeper pockets. Whether or not those (Total's) pockets are deep enough to weather the oncoming U.S. bloodbath for R.E., or whether they even choose to try are additional questions. Big pop on SP yesterday from some news that amounts to they found a place for some older technology (327's) in France or someplace, probably mostly hype. There's more to the world market for R.E. than just the U.S., but I'm glad I bailed on SP when I did.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
              There's more to the world market for R.E. than just the U.S., but I'm glad I bailed on SP when I did.
              Perhaps you know something I do not. SP is not positioned for a global market. It cannot compete. We both know SP product line is the most expensive of all manufactures. Couple that with Import tariffs in Europe and Asian markets where solar is still hot. I just do not see any market for them outside the USA.

You know how to read financial statements as well as I do. There is nothing in the statements to be optimistic about. They owe more than they are worth, negative cash flow, and a decline market . I did see the 16% pop Friday. That prompted me to look again. Statements are worse than the last time I checked. I did see the France story and me thinks it is hype report (fake news) from institutional share holders looking to minimize losses so they can unload their stock. If my assumptions are correct, when the Brokerage dump all those shares and flood the market marks the end for SP. Their stock will be worthless if that happens. At that point the Bond Meanies take control of the company and liquidate assets to get what money they can get back. Stock holders get nothing.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by cambyses View Post

LA Solar Group... Signed early December, followed by another amendment a couple of weeks later to replace the tar paper on our roof (only the section below the panels). The process was fairly smooth and most of the panels were already installed a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, apparently there was some miscommunication or something between them and SunPower that a few panels were missing from the first delivery. So they have now installed most of the panels as well as all the rails, wiring, etc., and I am just waiting for them to come back and install the remaining few panels. The frequent rain here has made a bit more difficult to schedule the installation. I cannot comment much on the quality of their work yet, but looking at the boxes, conduit, and the wiring installed, and comparing with what I see for a couple of our neighbors, I can say that, at least cosmetically, they seem to have done a better job. And so far, the only payment I have made is the initial $1000 payment upon contract signature.
                Cambyses, thanks for the info. I'm surprised as they are one of the first companies I called and didn't hear back from them for two weeks. When they finally quoted the job, they were the most expensive of the bunch at $4.15 per watt with main panel upgrade.

When they quoted Panasonic they were $4.10 per watt including main panel upgrade.

The Sun Power bid from them was out of this world.

Comment

Perhaps you know something I do not. SP is not positioned for a global market. It cannot compete. We both know SP product line is the most expensive of all manufactures. Couple that with Import tariffs in Europe and Asian markets where solar is still hot. I just do not see any market for them outside the USA.

You know how to read financial statements as well as I do. There is nothing in the statements to be optimistic about. They owe more than they are worth, negative cash flow, and a decline market . I did see the 16% pop Friday. That prompted me to look again. Statements are worse than the last time I checked. I did see the France story and me thinks it is hype report (fake news) from institutional share holders looking to minimize losses so they can unload their stock. If my assumptions are correct, when the Brokerage dump all those shares and flood the market marks the end for SP. Their stock will be worthless if that happens. At that point the Bond Meanies take control of the company and liquidate assets to get what money they can get back. Stock holders get nothing.
                  Seems like you and I are raising thread hijacking to an art form.

With apologies to the OP, one more Sunday rant and I'm off this thread.

No, I suspect I'm not as good at it as you are or as most anyone else is for that matter. Or, paraphrasing Yogi, not only do I not know anything, I don't even suspect anything. I only think I know what I read in the papers and hear, avoiding the extreme and obviously most biased outlets (like MSNBC and Dumfux News) while trying to get as many sides of the story as possible. Last week's SP pop was probably/mostly media generated with respect to its importance, and perhaps based on a potential dump of excess inventory for a decent size project in France. It's getting so I have less/no faith in the veracity of those things than ever (if that's possible). Glad I bailed on the SP @ ~ $32/sh. Owned it for ~ $4.50/pop.

FWIW, I think SP is probably as well positioned as any big solar outfit for the global market, whatever that may mean. The U.S. is a big market, but not the entire market. However, anyone with one eye and one balloon knot that's running a solar co. right now better be planning, or better yet, well on the way to rotating out of the U.S. residential market right now, at least for a while.The U.S.commercial/utility segment may still have some legs, and, in spite of the higher margins in residential, and also in spite of their claims that small scale solar is a big piece of their pie, the fact is, it seems commercial/utility is where a bigger chunk of where SP's business seems to be, both U.S. and more so international. So, as net metering in the U.S. finds some stability, and if fossil fuel prices stay low, their residential side of the business, at least in the U.S., is headed for a beating that their advertising hype probably won't be able to head off. Claiming high efficiency but charging a lot for it will only get you by for so long as people begin to do the math.

Things run in cycles. As always, hucksters peddle things to separate fools from their money. I actually do remember the "promise" that nuclear power was going to make electricity too cheap to meter as well as the real, but perhaps media inflated perceptions about safety that pretty much killed nukes in the U.S. in a way that's still going on. I also remember that back in the '70's, solar was going to save the planet. That's when I got on board and quickly saw most real possibilities for good outcomes twisted into B.S to make a trap for fools by the Dan K's of the day. Now, and for the last 10 years or so, PV companies have seen, or created a similar situation and perception of reality and a market, making money off the (at least on paper) rich by peddling the idea and promise that it's a good idea to throw money at self inflicted high electric bills by using what's usually the least cost effective method. The P.T. Barnum effect.

I can only try to stay slightly ahead of the curve, fail at that most of the time, and wonder what the next scam will be.

Respectfully,

Comment

Well JPM what I do know is utilities would not use solar or wind if not forced to use it by goberment mandates and subsides. All it does is artificially inflate electric rates. You and I can afford it, but not the working man the dems claim to support. That is the big reason dems are getting their butts kicked right now. People figured it out and utilities are pushing back and exposing the scam.

I am with you,. I am out, way out in another country.
                    Last edited by Sunking; 02-19-2017, 02:28 PM.
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

Well JPM what I do know is utilities would not use solar or wind if not forced to use it by goberment mandates and subsides.
                      This thread has definitely strayed... that said, the prices for solar and wind keep declining -- in part thanks to the volume generated by said subsidies.
                      There's a pretty good chance that the subsidies helped launch a viable industry, for a lot less than the total subsidies for the oil industry.

I'd take SK's comment more seriously if he were calling for a phaseout of fossil fuel tax breaks, too.
                      Last edited by DanKegel; 02-23-2017, 01:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanKegel View Post

This thread has definitely strayed... that said, the prices for solar and wind keep declining -- in part thanks to the volume generated by said subsidies.
                        There's a pretty good chance that the subsidies helped launch a viable industry, for a lot less than the total subsidies for the oil industry.

I'd take SK's comment more seriously if he were calling for a phaseout of fossil fuel tax breaks, too.
                        While I agree that tax breaks for any power generating industry should go away I am also pretty sure that the customers prices will go up.

It is a a difficult decision to make so that no power industry gets tax breaks because the increased cost to generate will be transferred to us poor folks.

Comment

Working...
                        X