X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ButchDeal
    Solar Fanatic
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by reader2580
    I am talking about the standby power feature of the HD-Wave inverter. I thought rapid shutdown is triggered by loss of grid power like if firefighters pull the electric meter at an active fire. I need to do more research on rapid shutdown obviously.
    Rapid shutdown is not triggered by grid power down. Rapid shutdown is triggered by DC disconnect.

little is now about the solaredge standby power feature but it is likely very similar to the SMA feature and will be on an isolated circuit.
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• littleharbor
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2016

BTW, SMA has upped their secure power rating to 2000 watts.
      2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• ButchDeal
        Solar Fanatic
        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by littleharbor
        BTW, SMA has upped their secure power rating to 2000 watts.
        yes but this thread is about the HDWave feature which is 1.5kw

Comment

• littleharbor
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2016

Yes I know. SMA was mentioned early in the thread.

Comment

• adoublee
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by ButchDeal

Currently only the SE3000H and SE3800H are shipping the others will be this quarter from what I am being told
            The DC disconnect looks revised in the HD-Waves. Expecting HD-Wave integration with Powerwall 2 DC? 7600W version only again? Seems Powerwall 2 AC might be the path of least resistance if it will work in the desired mode (mobile off-grid for example).

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by adoublee

The DC disconnect looks revised in the HD-Waves. Expecting HD-Wave integration with Powerwall 2 DC? 7600W version only again? Seems Powerwall 2 AC might be the path of least resistance if it will work in the desired mode (mobile off-grid for example).
              I believe the current powerwall 2 will not work in an off grid mode.

Comment

• reader2580
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jan 2017

I've gotten this thread a bit off topic, but I talked to Solaredge tech support about the rapid shutdown feature. The SE series will only do rapid shutdown if the DC disconnect is turned to off. If grid power is lost the inverter will shut off DC voltage within 60 seconds. I did not ask about the HD-WAVE with the backup power feature.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Apr 2014

Originally posted by reader2580
                  I've gotten this thread a bit off topic, but I talked to Solaredge tech support about the rapid shutdown feature. The SE series will only do rapid shutdown if the DC disconnect is turned to off. If grid power is lost the inverter will shut off DC voltage within 60 seconds. I did not ask about the HD-WAVE with the backup power feature.
                  Yes this is how it works. For rapid shut down you shut off the DC disconnect ( as I stated above). The AC disconnect can shut down but on the SE7600-USS (storEdge) it will just isolate the inverter. I would highly assume that the HDWave rapid shutdown is exactly the same as the existing inverters and that any secure power would be simply isolated just like the SMA works.
                  If the HD wave is in secure power and someone shuts off the DC disconnect then it will rapid shut down.

Comment

• adoublee
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Aug 2009

Originally posted by SunEagle

I believe the current powerwall 2 will not work in an off grid mode.
                    I believe it will, based on their website now saying "Your path off grid - Combine solar and one or more Powerwalls to power your home independently from the utility grid." I think there have been questions about warranty when using off grid or warranty use is not monitored. But it is hard to judge without an installation manual - certainly marketing people have made bigger mistakes.

Comment

• SunEagle
                      Super Moderator
                      • Oct 2012

I believe it will, based on their website now saying "Your path off grid - Combine solar and one or more Powerwalls to power your home independently from the utility grid." I think there have been questions about warranty when using off grid or warranty use is not monitored. But it is hard to judge without an installation manual - certainly marketing people have made bigger mistakes.
                      If they are now marketing an off grid version of the Powerwall it is news to me.

All previous versions were based on using it to run at times when the POCO tariffs are very high so you could reduce your bill not as an emergency backup. There was a unit in the first version that was rated 10kWh and to be used as a backup power source. That unit is no longer being offered. And the smaller unit was originally rated ~ 7.5kWh and now it is in the 6.4kWh range. I believe it was derated to comply with the "promised" cycle count. You now have less to use but can use it daily for what ever the published lifespan is.

Comment

• adoublee
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Aug 2009

If they are now marketing an off grid version of the Powerwall it is news to me.

All previous versions were based on using it to run at times when the POCO tariffs are very high so you could reduce your bill not as an emergency backup. There was a unit in the first version that was rated 10kWh and to be used as a backup power source. That unit is no longer being offered. And the smaller unit was originally rated ~ 7.5kWh and now it is in the 6.4kWh range. I believe it was derated to comply with the "promised" cycle count. You now have less to use but can use it daily for what ever the published lifespan is.
                        They are. They came out with Powerwall 2 which is rated 13.5kWh, 7kW peak, 5kW continuous, AC or DC coupled versions, $5.5k hardware cost if it can actually be bought.

Comment

• SunEagle
                          Super Moderator
                          • Oct 2012

They are. They came out with Powerwall 2 which is rated 13.5kWh, 7kW peak, 5kW continuous, AC or DC coupled versions, $5.5k hardware cost if it can actually be bought.
                          I know that one of the POCO's in Vermont is introducing the Powerwall 2 to customers with solar pv installations. They can either lease it or purchase it.

But I thought that one was for grid stabilization/peak shed use only and not for back up. Maybe there is a couple of P2 variants.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Apr 2014

I know that one of the POCO's in Vermont is introducing the Powerwall 2 to customers with solar pv installations. They can either lease it or purchase it.

But I thought that one was for grid stabilization/peak shed use only and not for back up. Maybe there is a couple of P2 variants.
                            From what I understand it will need a lot of extra parts to work for backup. Some kind of transfer switch and auto transformer at least.

Comment

• littleharbor
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jan 2016

Specs are somewhat vague but it looks like the DC voltage of the Powerwall2 are 50 Volts while the Powerwall 1 was 350-450 volts Please correct me if I'm wrong. It appears the Powerwall 2 is off-grid compatible.

Spec sheets for PW 1 and 2:

Last edited by littleharbor; 01-18-2017, 10:06 AM.

Comment

• SunEagle
                                Super Moderator
                                • Oct 2012

Originally posted by littleharbor
                                Specs are somewhat vague but it looks like the DC voltage of the Powerwall2 are 50 Volts while the Powerwall 1 was 350-450 volts Please correct me if I'm wrong. It appears the Powerwall 2 is off-grid compatible.

Spec sheets for PW 1 and 2:

http://www.treehugger.com/clean-tech...arting-3k.html
                                Based on those spec sheets, it does say the P2 is backup power capable although it does require multiple inverters based on the "AC coupled power" diagram on the second page. It is strange that the spec sheet shows the input voltage being between 350-550v DC but the battery voltage is rated at 50v DC. Not sure how you charge a battery at a high voltage yet can get a lower voltage out. They must be using a step down DC equipment to get the lower voltage. IMO that spec sheet is a little misleading or certainly confusing to me.

Also the spec sheet for the P1 is defiantly out dated since the 10kWh model for backup power was discontinued or for that matter did not even go into production and the 7kWh was downsized to around 6.5 kWh.

Comment

Working...