X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enphase M215 replacement

I have 24 panels on my roof installed. About 5 years old now. Never had any problems until recently.

I have a single M215 Enphase microinverter that has been down for almost 2 months. "Ac voltage out of range".

My installer has indicated that the inverter needs replacing. The cost is 4hrs labour at $105 per hour. I live in Ontario, Canada

My two questions are:

1) Is the diagnostic likely correct?
    2) Is the price to replace it reasonable?

Thanks in advance

Diagnosis sounds possible.

Determining if the cost is justified would be hard to say because we have no knowledge of where the "bad" micro is in your array, what type of roof & racking system is used, how far the technician has to travel to get to the site, etc.

Comment

Hi SunEagle,

I have Conergy SunTop racking system installed on a standard two story pitched shingled roof.
      The panel with the error is in the top corner of the south side portion of my roof. I tried to illustrate it below. The "O" is the one that is out.

-----OXXX-----
      XXXXXXXXX

-Order and place M215
      -Take panel off to access inoperative M215
      -Replace M215
      -Reorganize Panel Wiring
      -Re attach panel
      -Get system back up
      -update Enphase Monitoring site
      -Return M215 to Enphase

Additionally, I am reimbursed $120 from Emphase.

total cost is $350(with tax) for the entire job.

thanks again....
      Last edited by Kids Education Fund; 10-25-2016, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Enphase still in businessis and so is your installer, it should not cost you anything unless your installer hasn't provide you any warranty.

My friend has a 6 yrs old M190s system and installer were out of business. He finds an 3rd party installer and Enphase has paid for his 9 microinverters replacement part ans labor.

Seem like you have pay extra for your replacement... Might be a good reference for Enphase system owners.

A ground level string inverter replacement labor is about $200.

Comment

I believe the limited warranty only covers the part. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm no expert in this area by any means. Below if from there website.

The Limited Warranty covers both parts and labor necessary to repair the Defective Product (if Enphase elects to repair the Defective Product), but does not include labor costs related to (i) un-installing the Defective Product or (i) if applicable, re-installing a repaired or replacement product.

The cost to replace the unit works out to be $300 Canadian. (before tax). It seems I'm a little on the high end, but not crazy high. Would you agree?

Comment

Kids Education Fund,

I'm not sure why your solar system is without any warranty from your installer (Maybe Canada doesn't required 10 yrs warranty offer as here in US) No one need to be an expert in this area, but at lease understanf what warranty you got from your intaller.

Like I said, a good refererce for other Enphase owners.

Comment

Originally posted by silversaver View Post
              Kids Education Fund,

Like I said, a good refererce for other Enphase owners.
              Not rubbing it in to the OP, but: Now wait for the next micro to head south. So much for 25 year microinverter warranties and also multiple electronics in hard to access and uncontrolled environments.

Comment

One of the advertised advantages of a microinverter system is the "low" voltage AC. With Enphase microinverters, you would be exposed to at most 240 AC. If you use proper precautions, such as by wearing insulated rubber gloves, your chances of getting an unpleasant zap are almost zero. Why not get yourself a safety harness (look at it as a long term investment) and climb up on the roof, unscrew a couple of bolts, and replace the defective microinverter yourself?

Comment

Thanks for all the comments so far.

JPM: I sure hope that isn't the case. I would not be a happy camper.
                  Qtips: Is it really that easy?

I have a 5 year warranty. It does not cover the labour to cover defective parts. Only the workmanship. So it doesn't cover anything.

Some clarification on my quote. Enphase pays $120 towards the labour to replace the microinverter. My installer is 1 hour away from where I live. Therefore, out of the $420 labour cost, $210 of that is towards the 1 hour drive for the two men crew.

Can I not just hire an electrician from my area? Or do they need to be specifically trained to do these change outs?

Comment

Originally posted by Kids Education Fund View Post
                    I have a 5 year warranty. It does not cover the labour to cover defective parts. Only the workmanship. So it doesn't cover anything.

Can I not just hire an electrician from my area? Or do they need to be specifically trained to do these change outs?

Again, suggest you go through your warranty coverage again.

FYI, Enphase offering 25 yrs on M215. If your system has gone over the 5 yrs coverage from your installer, then you probably better off out sourcing a local installer who knows Enphase.

Good thing the Enphase Envoy shows individual monitoring of each microinverter if you have installer access, if not, try to get that access because you will be needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Kids Education Fund View Post
                      Thanks for all the comments so far.

JPM: I sure hope that isn't the case. I would not be a happy camper.
                      I sincerely share your hope, but hoping doesn't solve the problem. Sounds like a sting inverter would have. My point was not to rub it in, but to suggest that a string inverter would have lowered the probability of recurring problems in the future if for no other reason than there are fewer things (fewer inverters) that can fail.

Comment

Hello,
                        Just a quick update to close out this discussion.
                        I had a local solar panel supplier change out the micro-inverter. There was no cost to me. The $120 supplied by Enphase covered the labour. It always pays to call around and ask questions.

Total savings of $350. My kids will be happy about that one day....

thanks for the discussion and helping me save that money.

Comment

Working...
                        X