X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kgvenkatesh
    • Aug 2015

Advice on 3 options for rooftop solar

I'm in SF bay area, and have been looking at rooftop solar install for sometime.. I have done quite a bit of reading here and have gathered several quotes over last 2 months. Here's my shortlist:

Option 1:
    15 x LG 320 / Solar Edge
    25 year warranty on workmanship
    $14400 total, $3/watt prior to tax incentives
    Small company, located in SF bay area, high yelp ratings, been in solar install business for 6-7 years
    Pros: proximity, solid reviews, low cost; Cons: small company, not sure if warranty means much

Option 2:
    15 x LG 320 / Solar Edge
    25 year warranty on workmanship and all components
    $14400 total, $3/watt prior to tax incentives
    Relatively bigger company (~3x in revenue) vs. first option, but located 5 hours away. High yelp ratings, 5 years in solar install, has roofing licence also
    Pros: warranty, solid reviews, low cost ; Cons: distance

Option 3:
    16 x LG 315 / Solar Edge
    25 year comprehensive warranty (including components)
    $16150 total, $3.2/watt prior to tax incentives
    Publicly traded company, located in No Cal, $80 MM in revenue, mixed yelp ratings
    Pros: bigger company and warranty; Cons: mixed reviews and slightly higher cost

Option 4 (not considering anymore):
    17 x Suniva 280 or SW 280 / Solar Edge
    25 year warranty on workmanship
    ~$14k total, ~$2.9-3.1 /watt prior to tax incentives
    So Cal company, fast growing and high yelp ratings, been doing solar install for 5 years

Option 5 (not considering anymore):
    16 x LG 300 / Solar Edge
    20 year comprehensive warranty
    $15940 total, $3.32/watt prior to tax incentives
    National level co. with bay area HQ, uses subcontracting model, mixed yelp ratings

Could you share your thoughts on which option seems better and why. I feel pretty good about all these options, but struggling a bit on weighing proximity vs. company size / longevity vs. cost. Thanks in advance.
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Equipment seems fit for purpose, prices seem good. I'd be less concerned about warranties as they seem similar. Larger cos. may have higher probability of being around, but who knows ? I would spend some time thinking about which vendor seems better at communication with the distance factor in mind. Many small problems become large when communication and vendor response is not good. 5 hr. distance would concern me a bit, but if that question is satisfactorily addressed by the vendor with some proof or logic more than some bogus "no problem" crap, maybe not an insurmountable concern. On the other hand, why is that now a concern now and not when bids were solicited ?

Sounds (reads) like you gave it a lot of due diligence. I'd have one last sniff/chat with all three, listen to your now better educated gut, take your best shot and step into the future. Just get everything you want, or as much of it as you can negotiate, in writing, before you sign. After contract changes are very costly. Also, do not leave the job alone after signing and assume the vendor will do all to your satisfaction. Misunderstandings/personnel changes/schedules/vendor priorities/you name it will occur. Be aware. Not doing so jeopardizes job quality. Stay on it and act as your own project manager. Stay involved. You will not be sorry for having done so.

Good luck.

Comment

• kgvenkatesh
      kgvenkatesh commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you JPM, I'd follow your advice on selecting the right installer and due diligence on contract and actual execution. It's funny I have quite a few non-local vendors in the mix. I went thru a bidding platform and thru couple of referrals, and that's where non-local bids came from. The local bid was the only one thru direct contact. All of the 3 insist they do in-house staff only (no subs). I see several installs in my area from option 1 installer, none from option 2, and some from option 3 installer. The option 2 non-local installer claims distance is non issue and work can be coordinated, and they do installs for other big players in my area (their response on why CSI doesn't show them in SF bay area)
  • bayareaemt
    • Jul 2016

KGV, I am relatively new on this forum so can't PM you. feel free to PM me and I can give some details about other vendors that I dealt with for similar systems.

Comment

• kgvenkatesh
      • Aug 2015

Thank you JPM and bayareaemt, I'm adding comments against your responses.

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by kgvenkatesh
        Thank you JPM and bayareaemt, I'm adding comments against your responses.
        For my part, you're welcome. Suggest you keep playing heads' up ball.

Comment

• ktran1
          • Jul 2016

KVG, can you post your installer of option 2 and 1. Thanks

Comment

• kgvenkatesh
            kgvenkatesh commented
            Editing a comment
            Both option 1 and 2 installers specifically asked that I don't share their quote in public forums since the final pricing came as a result of a third party bidding platform. But I can assure you the installer names are among popular ones showing up in this forum, and you will find them if you look around. If you need further info email me at my user name at gmail dot com. Also fyi option 3 and 5 are Sunworks and Sungevity respectively (they didn't ask me to withhold, so I can share).
            Last edited by kgvenkatesh; 09-28-2016, 04:19 AM.
        • ktran1
          • Jul 2016

KVG, thanks I signed a contract with LG320 and S280 at 3.1/w plus main panel upgrade for $1500. I will get installed next week.

Comment

• kgvenkatesh
            kgvenkatesh commented
            Editing a comment
            Congrats ktran! Did you go with a local player or the bigger ones?
        • ktran1
          • Jul 2016

local player, and they can pull permit very quick

Comment

• kgvenkatesh
            • Aug 2015

Been long time since I updated here. My final system design is 15 x LG320 , SE optimizer and SE5000, with critter guard. HOA and city permit received, install scheduled for later this month. Took more time due to setback exception in the design to squeeze all 15 into same roof. Will update further once install commences.

Comment

• kgvenkatesh
              • Aug 2015

My installation and city approval completed yesterday, finally! Love the results so far and it's delightful to see panel real time power generation on the SolarEdge app. Had to relocate the inverter per inspector and that caused 2 weeks extra wait to get things done, but YES staff took care of it. They came across as fantastic people to work with - knowledgeable, professional and efficient. Happy about the choice I made I owe it to this forum and the awesome advice and support from JPM and many others, thank you guys big time!

Comment

• kgvenkatesh
                • Aug 2015

Some pictures we took:
                Attached Files

Comment

• kgvenkatesh
                  • Aug 2015

Now waiting for PG&E net metering. Hoping to squeeze in NEM 1.0...

Comment

• J.P.M.
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Aug 2013

My installation and city approval completed yesterday, finally! Love the results so far and it's delightful to see panel real time power generation on the SolarEdge app. Had to relocate the inverter per inspector and that caused 2 weeks extra wait to get things done, but YES staff took care of it. They came across as fantastic people to work with - knowledgeable, professional and efficient. Happy about the choice I made I owe it to this forum and the awesome advice and support from JPM and many others, thank you guys big time!
                    For any small part I may have added that you considered helpful, you are most welcome.

Add: Calling the POCO and greasing their pole about a completed and signed off install sometimes helps to get the P.T.O. (Permission to Operate) a bit sooner. Just sayin'.

Comment

• kgvenkatesh
                      • Aug 2015

Thank you JPM, I'd give it a try once my application is in.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Aug 2013

Thank you JPM, I'd give it a try once my application is in.
                        You're again welcome.

If you like our service, tell your friends.

Comment

Working...