X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on 2 quotes received

Hi - I'm looking for some help. I've received a few quotes from providers and have narrowed it down to Sungevity vs RGS with the prices being within $1,000.
    What in trying to decide is which is a "better" system for both now and over the long term including maintenance or other issues.
    Sungevity: (9.18kw - 1st production of 8,491kwh) $32,000 ($3.48 / Watt)
    - 36 Trina TSM-255PD05.05 modules
    - Solar Edge SE 7600a inverter
    - 10 yr parts on modules 12yr parts inverter 25 year production (.07% degradation)

RGS: (9kw- 1st year production of 8,970kwh) $32,500 ($3.61 / Watt)
    - 30 Silfab SLA-M 300 modules
    - Enphase m250 micro inverters
    - 12 year parts on modules and 25 year on inverters warranty 25 year production (.07% degradation )

My house faces NE so sun travels at a 45 degree angle over it. Both designs plan on putting an equal number of pannels on both sides of roof.

My first issue is the production. Sungevity shows a lower 1st year production from a slightly larger system - is this due to the single inverter setup vs RGS' Micro inverters?

My final question is with service response for each company. I've seen good and bad reviews for both (and other companies as well). Anyone here have a better feel for which company will be easier to work with shoos I need warranty issues? Since my state (MA) has a 10 year SREC program any time my system is down is not only costing me money by having to pay for power but Also losing my ability to generate credits.

Thanks!

Seems like sungevity is asking a lot for 255w modules.

Comment

Originally posted by beholder95 View Post
      Hi - I'm looking for some help. I've received a few quotes from providers and have narrowed it down to Sungevity vs RGS with the prices being within $1,000.
      What in trying to decide is which is a "better" system for both now and over the long term including maintenance or other issues.
      Sungevity: (9.18kw - 1st production of 8,491kwh) $32,000 ($3.48 / Watt)
      - 36 Trina TSM-255PD05.05 modules
      - Solar Edge SE 7600a inverter
      - 10 yr parts on modules 12yr parts inverter 25 year production (.07% degradation)

RGS: (9kw- 1st year production of 8,970kwh) $32,500 ($3.61 / Watt)
      - 30 Silfab SLA-M 300 modules
      - Enphase m250 micro inverters
      - 12 year parts on modules and 25 year on inverters warranty 25 year production (.07% degradation )

My house faces NE so sun travels at a 45 degree angle over it. Both designs plan on putting an equal number of pannels on both sides of roof.

My first issue is the production. Sungevity shows a lower 1st year production from a slightly larger system - is this due to the single inverter setup vs RGS' Micro inverters?

My final question is with service response for each company. I've seen good and bad reviews for both (and other companies as well). Anyone here have a better feel for which company will be easier to work with shoos I need warranty issues? Since my state (MA) has a 10 year SREC program any time my system is down is not only costing me money by having to pay for power but Also losing my ability to generate credits.

Thanks!
      You will get a better deal with RGS.
      If you get 12 years of trouble free usage, you get 144 months of service with your $32,500 minus incentives let's say about $22,750/144=158 a month for 144 months. You'll get 9 kWh x 5 hrs of sun light, that's 45 kWh a day x 30 days = 1350 kWh a month.
      Now, we divide your $158.00/1350 kWh = 0.12 a kWh and after 12 years you pay $0.00.
      If your usage is 25 ~ 30 kWh per day like me, you'll be in excellent shape!

Comment

Howdy, I think a few more quotes would be a good idea, you could try site sponsors www.solarreviews.com and or www.solar-estimate.org

Comment

OP:

Either system will probably have about the same amount of maint. which is to say probably little except to hose the array off once in a while.

How much do you pay for power, and do you understand the tariff (method of billing) of how your bill is figured ? If not relly sure, finding out is a bit of a PITA but a wise first step, along with knowing your monthly use. Depending on your cost of power, you may be looking at a long payback, or not. Having such information is the start of a design and an essential part of the decision making process for most folks. SREC's are also a consideration, and a nice (if somewhat capricious) bennie, but the idea behind residential solar PV is usually to reduce an electric bill more than to own a revenue producing electric generating station for it's own sake.

Output estimates are just that - estimates. I'd not be real concerned about differences of +/- 5 % or so from vendors, but I'd SWAG closer to 9,000 kWh/yr. using NE-SW long (main) axis orientation and thus w/ array orientations of 135 and 315 degrees on a 20 % tilt. Estimates vary for lots of reasons, some valid, some less so. Run PVWatts on your own w/10 % system losses and accurate orientations, and see what you get.

Lots to consider. Get educated and download "Solar Power Your Home for Dummies", free on the net, and educate yourself. And, unless it's new or recently done, get your roof inspected/serviced. Cheap insurance. Get a size based on your own results and how long you think solar will take to pay for itself, and compare that to your quotes. And, BTW, don't be rushed. A good deal today will still be a good (or better) deal next week/month.

One last point: That 0.07% (annual) performance degradation as you write is probably 0.70 %/yr., and, FWIW, also an estimate. As a warranty issue , it's virtually impossible to verify.

Comment

Working...
          X