Led Lights from solar panel without battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Led Lights from solar panel without battery

I came to this forums by searching and landed on some of threads, however am still in confuse. This thread had same question what I was loking, but before those products I want to confirm from you.
    https://www.solarpaneltalk.com/forum...m-solar-panels

Do I really need a DC to DC converter, if so what type?

I am looking to light up 30 leds emergency light strip directly from solar panel in day time, so what type of panel is required?
    basically these emergency lights have 4.7v batteries I think.

Let me know if you need any additional answers.
    suresh

I do not fully understand the concept of what you are trying to do.
    Solar panels sized to operate the lights at rated brightness near solar noon will not provide enough energy to provide that amount of light for more than 3 or 4 hours out of the day. What will power the lights the rest of the time? Not the batteries.
    If you use the right configuration of light strips (especially the required voltage) you could feed them from solar panels without using a DC to DC converter. But the brightness of the LEDs would vary with the sun angle, passing clouds, etc.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

I am understanding right now, thanks for your help. What I am asking means how to use led lights with solar panel directly without attaching battery, but from your answer got understood.

Can you give some answers for this as I want to save electricity bills.
      1, Now the season is rainy season so their is no sun can I get any power?
      2. If I attach the battery to the panel does it get charged? also the lights will glow at the same time?
      3. I want to run the lights in day and night time too.
      suresh

Comment

1. Probably not enough to power to run the LEDs.
        2. Depends on lots of things like output of the panels, consumption by the LEDs, how sunny it is, etc.
        3. You can't run LED lights from solar panels at night without a properly sized and charged battery.

Comment

Consider skylights or solar sun tubes. If money is no object look into fiber optic lighting with a tracking solar collector.

Comment

Originally posted by brewbeer View Post
            1. Probably not enough to power to run the LEDs.
            2. Depends on lots of things like output of the panels, consumption by the LEDs, how sunny it is, etc.
            3. You can't run LED lights from solar panels at night without a properly sized and charged battery.
            2 I am looking to light up 4.5 v led light strip that is currently running on battery 4.5v. Can I use 6v solar light and the making the output 4.5v remain
            or
            12v solar panel with a DC converter to make 4.5v to light up those leds even in the rainy days.

3. Yes Battery is required to light up in night.

I am looking to buy a solar panel of 6 or 12volts also what type do you recommend polycrystalline or mono?
            suresh

Comment

4.5 volts is only part of the equation. How many watts are these 30 LED light strips?

Comment

I still don't know how many watts for each led, but this strip was removed from emergency light. Ive attached the image and the leds are in round shape not SMD.
                Let me know this one too how many watts for the Leds, I am very new to this led lighting system, but did basic electronics.
                Attached Files
                suresh

Comment

Originally posted by sb225 View Post
                  I still don't know how many watts for each led,
                  Then stop what you are doing. There is no possible way to design a system.

You are just wasting our time. Once we know the Watt Hours, location, and time of year use we can tell you exactly what you need. Once you find out what it takes you will likely forget about it.
                  Last edited by Sunking; 09-13-2016, 03:04 PM.
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post

You are just wasting our time. Once we know the Watt Hours, location, and time of year use we can tell you exactly what you need. Once you find out what it takes you will likely forget about it.
                    I bought two spare pieces, but the leds are in 5mm round type, anyway I am assuming 15watts in total or else I can use !watt led 5 nos
                    I am giving here the people who sells on ebay and not my products
                    http://www.ebay.in/itm/42-High-Power...UAAOSwSv1XkhbW

The light is used throughout the year not a specific time as Ive asked at the present status because it should provide light.

I wanna to start a system later, but at the moment want to test how this system would works.

suresh

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post

I think my post went in moderation as a link from ebay, anyway I am not wasting your time as I bought two led strips that was removed from emergency lights.

ebay.in/itm/42-High-Power-SMD-LED-BOARD-12V-DC-ultra-bright-SMD-Led-12-volt-led-/112106348132?hash=item1a1a0f1e64:g:GtUAAOSwSv1Xkhb W

The above link shows they are selling SMD led strip and assuming it would be 15 watts

I also planned to use 1watt leds in 5 nos that would be 5watts through solar panel.

For time location I am based in India and through out year would be using. Hope this helps to you for getting what I want.

suresh

Comment

I still didn't got any answer from you. I am hoping to get answers from you or else need to test by myself.
                        Again I am requesting 5 leds of 1 watt = 5 watts

Let me know which panel is suitable for me with watts to get bright light in rainy season. If not possible then please post here so I can leave it.
                        suresh

Comment

Originally posted by sb225 View Post
                          I still didn't got any answer from you. I am hoping to get answers from you or else need to test by myself.
                          Again I am requesting 5 leds of 1 watt = 5 watts

Let me know which panel is suitable for me with watts to get bright light in rainy season. If not possible then please post here so I can leave it.
                          You will not "get bright light in rainy season." When it's cloudy you are not going to get much power. A window will work a lot better.

If you still want to do this, then overspec your solar array by a factor of 20 or so and use a current regulator to prevent damage during normal sun. You'll get some light in the rain. So if you are looking at a 15 watt LED array, that would be a 300 watt panel. You'll want a DC/DC converter to match impedances with the panel (it's almost certainly not going to match as-is.) Since power is low the DC/DC can be fairly small. If you voltage regulate the DC/DC and use a ballast resistor you won't need a separate current regulator.

Comment

Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate for your help.
                            suresh

Comment

Working...
                            X