X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noob

Okay my mind is getting mushy from researching ten billion websites to learn about a small project. Maybe you guys can answer? Maybe not. Either way I appreciate any input. I am trying to build a small sign with only 4 led lights to illuminate it after dark. 2 rgb and 2 whites. I guess I could use a recomendation on what size battery and solar panel to operate it. I know I am over doing it a bit, but so far I plan to buy a small cheap solar charger and 1-12 volt battery. The panels I am considering are 2 6 volt panels. I chose the solar charger because it seems very simple to hook up the other components instead of soldering a board with the correct resistors etc. I am looking at 1-12 volt battery because I think it would fit into the sign better than 8 aa's. The panels what is the best way to improve charging? paralell or series? Anyone with a goos opinion on size of panel and configuration? They have to be about 4 inches wide in a square or 4x 6+ if rectangular. When I was considering what pieces to use I consider price,quality,function and ease to put together. Thanks for your opinion and expertise.

Loads. what are your loads. I have seen RGB LEDs that can pull 15watts, and white @ .1W

How many hours would they run, 4-10pm? Dusk - dawn?

Battery. You would want a AGM (absorbent glass mat) battery, not a gel or flooded battery.

Solar. How many hours of sunburn skin, do you have sun. Generally only between 10am - 2pm, unless you are far south, or have a tracking array. Will the PV panel be flat on the top of the sign, or angled south somewhat?

Price. Panels and charge controller will likely be your highest cost. then battery and LED drivers.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Thanks for the input.

Mike90250
      Loads. what are your loads. I have seen RGB LEDs that can pull 15watts, and white @ .1

They are probably going to be 2-5mm rgb's. They run 2-4 volts 35ma depending on color. I would like to use 2 5mm whites too.

How many hours would they run, 4-10pm? Dusk - dawn? Battery. You would want a AGM (absorbent glass mat) battery, not a gel or flooded battery.

It would be nice to get 6 to 8 hours after darkness.

Solar. How many hours of sunburn skin, do you have sun. Generally only between 10am - 2pm, unless you are far south, or have a tracking array. Will the PV panel be flat on the top of the sign, or angled south somewhat?

Sunshine? I am really pale and burn easy. Non pasty people would think we get 4-5 hours a day in summer. I was planning to mount the panel or panels at an angle not quite 90 degrees to the rest of the sign.

Price. Panels and charge controller will likely be your highest cost. then battery and LED dri

Comment

Working...
      X