Thermal heat reduction impact of solar panels on roof vs. shading optimization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IMG_5250.jpg
    Thank you for this. I'm excited to get my panels. I'm still working with the vendor on the placement.

As far as lighter color tiles: Yes!! Though I just bought/moved in and the roof is only 5 years old. Multiple people have commented that it was a good job, and I should have another 25 years of use out of it. That given, I looked into the cost of replacing the black asphalt shingles and it's prohibitive at about $20k. So, I looked into painting the tiles but, there doesn't appear to be an industry standard or accepted practice here. I could damage the tiles or create something unsightly with nowhere to turn but a $20k replacement. I wish they used a reflective, lighter color tile. I don't know what they were thinking; I'm only one in the neighborhood without a light colored roof.

Comment

Originally posted by stevenremote View Post
      IMG_5250.jpg
      Thank you for this. I'm excited to get my panels. I'm still working with the vendor on the placement.

As far as lighter color tiles: Yes!! Though I just bought/moved in and the roof is only 5 years old. Multiple people have commented that it was a good job, and I should have another 25 years of use out of it. That given, I looked into the cost of replacing the black asphalt shingles and it's prohibitive at about $20k. So, I looked into painting the tiles but, there doesn't appear to be an industry standard or accepted practice here. I could damage the tiles or create something unsightly with nowhere to turn but a $20k replacement. I wish they used a reflective, lighter color tile. I don't know what they were thinking; I'm only one in the neighborhood without a light colored roof.
      Well, they weren't thinking, at least not beyond what was probably low buck, first cost, "I need to sell the place and spend as little as possible" type non logic, or not thinking about maintaining internal comfort without spending extra $$ on mechanical means to achieve a comfort level. Probably a skunked job without a permit that would have required a different roof that conforms to new/current energy standards/requirements in effect for some time now.

I bet all the people who commented on what a nice job it was are very thoroughly versed on roof technology and CA building code requirements as they may pertain to roofs. Not. But it looks great.

I wouldn't paint the roof. It'll quickly look like crap and someone will probably blow you in.

Comment

Working...
      X