X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • portlander380
    • Apr 2016

Mounting options for a frameless panel

I have purchased a few of these Mission Energy Solar Panels (Texas Company) for a roof mount. See attached pics. These were heavily discounted, because they lack a frame. My question is, how do I mount them. I was looking at Quick Mount PV, but their mounts are panels with frames. I know that some manufacturers actually make panels without a frame and sell it as a benefit because of no grounding requirements. But those panels have holes in the middle of them for mounting. Mine do not. One option is to use Quick Mount PV with wood spacers. These would be small pieces of pressure treated wood that would go under the panel and slide into the mount along with the panel. Not very clean, but it should work?

Or perhaps there are other clean mount options that I am unaware of that might work better. If you know, please let me know.

Thanks.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
  • Ikk
    • Apr 2013

have you tested the panels? how is the output. I have seen those on Ebay and thought about using them on a small office I am building in my backyard.

Comment

• DanKegel
      Banned
      • Sep 2014

I have four frameless panels on my roof; their installation guide ( http://www.sunpreme.com/wp-content/u...ual-Rev-05.pdf )
      gives some guidance on compatible mounting hardware. Maybe the three kinds of clamps that document lists would do for you?

I couldn't find a similar guide for Mission Solar, maybe they're not quite organized yet.

Comment

• sensij
        Solar Fanatic
        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by DanKegel
        I have four frameless panels on my roof; their installation guide ( http://www.sunpreme.com/wp-content/u...ual-Rev-05.pdf )
        gives some guidance on compatible mounting hardware. Maybe the three kinds of clamps that document lists would do for you?

I couldn't find a similar guide for Mission Solar, maybe they're not quite organized yet.
        These aren't dual glass panels like yours Dan, these are standard backsheet construction panels with the aluminum frame removed. They can't be legally installed in a grid-tie application, and are a complete waste of money for anything other than experimentation, in my opinion.
        CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by sensij

These aren't dual glass panels like yours Dan, these are standard backsheet construction panels with the aluminum frame removed. They can't be legally installed in a grid-tie application, and are a complete waste of money for anything other than experimentation, in my opinion.
          They could be used for an off grid system but IMO they would be very easy to damage not being in any type of rigid frame.

Comment

• ButchDeal
            Solar Fanatic
            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by SunEagle

They could be used for an off grid system but IMO they would be very easy to damage not being in any type of rigid frame.

as long as it is off residential home as well. I can't imagine it would pass any fire code like that, and no UL listing any more either so they should be mounted ground or possibly a non-occupied shed.
            OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by ButchDeal

as long as it is off residential home as well. I can't imagine it would pass any fire code like that, and no UL listing any more either so they should be mounted ground or possibly a non-occupied shed.
              I agree. Any type of use for these panels would require some minimal amount of care concerning protecting a home stead. Although they might be able to get away with an RV or travel trailer mounting system. Still seems like they would not survive the elements or vibration without some type of framework.

Comment

• DanKegel
                Banned
                • Sep 2014

Oh. These are weird half-finished panels? Yikes.

Comment

• dex
                  • Jun 2016

I was doing some searching and found this old thread. I have racking for frameless panels.currently working with another company that has a solution I think is a game changer

Comment

Working...