X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dannieboiz
    Solar Fanatic
    • Mar 2015

Anyone decided to add more panels on their own?

How difficult would it be to tap into the existing system to add more panels assume the invertor can handle it? I have 26 panels now and have room for 4 more. All the hard work is done, can't be that difficult I assume
  • silversaver
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2013

The problem is: You might void the original warranty of your existing system. Your original installer might not allow you to add panels on your own.

You need to check:

1. what's the output of the inverter you had now and type of inverter
    2. how many strings you got on your current setup. If adding more panel were allow without max out the string output.
    3. There are more details... If you have no idea what I'm saying, please contact your installer

I did add 2 more panels to my existing system by original installer and it cost more lot more $$$ and all cover under original warranty.

I believe the Net Metering only allow you to add 10% or less than 1KW to your existing system without re-apply net metering again.

Comment

• jflorey2
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by dannieboiz
      How difficult would it be to tap into the existing system to add more panels assume the invertor can handle it? I have 26 panels now and have room for 4 more. All the hard work is done, can't be that difficult I assume
      I've done it about a dozen times on various installations.

You will need to install new racking, and be able to understand the limitations of your charge controller or inverter. On most string inverters you will have to worry about maximum voltages, which are the biggest risk at low temperatures. So you will have to understand your inverter specs, the panel specs and your climate. In some cases you may need to run new string wiring for a new string.

If the above worries you, then contact a solar installer and ask him to do it for you. It's not an unusual thing to do.

Comment

• Steve C
        • Jul 2015

How would this apply to a micro inverter system? What would the limitations be as I understand there would not be a voltage limitation issue? Or, am I way off base?

Comment

• sensij
          Solar Fanatic
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Steve C
          How would this apply to a micro inverter system? What would the limitations be as I understand there would not be a voltage limitation issue? Or, am I way off base?
          There is a limit to the number of micros you can put in on a single string. For example, no more than 16 M250's on a 20 A breaker.
          CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• Steve C
            • Jul 2015

Assuming I have enough amp availability, are there any restrictions as to adding up to four more panels myself should I choose to do so. My understanding is that One of the advantages to micro inverters is that they are plug-and-play electronics. This is the first I have considered this idea, so if I am way off the mark, please forgive my naivety.

Comment

• J.P.M.
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2013

FWIW, I'd reinforce what Silversaver mentioned about how increasing system size impacts NEM eligibility.

Comment

Working...