X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mwseif
    • Jan 2011

Charge Controller Question

I have a Xantrex C60 Charge controller with remote display, 6 - 60 watt 3.4 amp panels. My question is, charge contoller display shows that battery is at 12.0 volts and that the 6 panels are putting out 3 amps 36 watts.... kind of cloudy today. When i check panel output with ampmeter it show that panels are putting out 14.5 amps. Is this right or is there something wrong with controller? Controller is blinking green so its not throwing error.
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

If the batteries have any charge in them, the controller only feeds them what they need. Try putting a heavy load on the batteries, and then see what the controller feeds them.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Something is not right as your controller is a MPPT type where the output current should be higher than the input.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• Mwseif
        • Jan 2011

Turned some lights, fan , and small refrig on....... voltage of batteries dropped to 11.9 in batteries, no change

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

How are your panels configured? My guess is you have a wiring problem with the panels.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

• Mwseif
            • Jan 2011

wired parallel, to combiner, checked voltage there, everthing in the right place. I get the same 2 amp reading form the xantrex dispalay, if i only have 1 panel connected to the controller same 2 amp - 24 watt array reading.

Comment

• Mike90250
              • May 2009

Originally posted by Mwseif
              wired parallel, to combiner, checked voltage there, everthing in the right place. I get the same 2 amp reading form the xantrex dispalay, if i only have 1 panel connected to the controller same 2 amp - 24 watt array reading.
              Maybe 1 panel is bad ?
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

• Sunking
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Mwseif
                Are you saying regardless if you have all six connected or just 1 you get the same results? Sounds like it is time for you to learn how to do some Voc and Isc test to find either bad panels or wiring.
                MSEE, PE

Comment

• Mwseif
                  • Jan 2011

I'm Questioning the controller/display. The contoller reads the same no matter how may panels i have conected, no more than 3 amps, 36 watts of panel power. If i pull the fuse between the panels and the controller and check on the panel side each panel i get a 19 volt reading with 2.5 amps aprox for each panel, don't think it is the panels. The reading at the fuse wich just ahead of the controller, 12 inches, is 19 volts with 15 amps. Must be my new controller?

Comment

• Mike90250
                    • May 2009

Your controller has lots of switches and jumpers. Be sure that they are all in the right settings.

You should only have connections to PV input and BATTERY terminals. Nothing on load terminals.

The C-60 is so bullet proof, I have no idea what could be wrong. Look for a wire with not enough insulation stripped back, and you are connecting to insulation or something.

Comment

• Mwseif
                      • Jan 2011

May have found the problem, fingers crossed. Was rechecking jumpers on controller and noticed when i touched the 12/24 volt jumper that the voltage on the contollers meter, for the battery, jumped around, from 3 volts and back up to 12.1! I replaced the jumper with a new one and now touching the jumper the voltage stays the same, 12.1 volts. Now i need sunshine, very overcast and drizzly today, poor pv output!

Comment

Working...