X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andygt02
    • Dec 2015

Solar panels up and running, but meter is still counting up...

Hi all,

I just had my system installed a couple weeks ago and I go the go-ahead from the POCO to tun it on last week. I have a digital electric meter with a square and arrow that blink as power is consumed. When I'm generating more than I'm consuming, another arrow pointing the opposite direction starts flashing. That seems like a pretty good confirmation that all is well, but the kWh count never goes down. In fact, it continues counting up even when I'm pushing power to the grid. Is this normal, or should I contact the POCO and tell them they need to fix this? It's a small town CO-OP.
    7.2 kW / LG NeOn 2 300's / Enphase M250
  • Alchete
    • Jul 2015

How big is your system (in kW)?

What's your typical daily energy usage (in kWh)?

Do you have no way to monitor your solar output (software/web page/etc)?

Are you checking the meter in the morning (on a sunny day) and then checking it again the same afternoon?

Comment

• Andygt02
      • Dec 2015

My system is 7.2 kW.

For this time of year, my usage is about 10 - 20 kWh a day if I'm careful. I have a monitor through the micro-inverter software (Enphase Enlighten), similar software from Solectra, and an indoor electric meter just for tracking output from the modules. I've been checking it (the outdoor meter the POCO owns) at different periods and it never goes down. To confirm, I sat there and stared at it while it was returning energy to the grid on a sunny day, with next to nothing running in the house. It took a while but I saw the meter count up by 1 unit in real time.

Comment

• ButchDeal
        Solar Fanatic
        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Andygt02
        My system is 7.2 kW.

For this time of year, my usage is about 10 - 20 kWh a day if I'm careful. I have a monitor through the micro-inverter software (Enphase Enlighten), similar software from Solectra, and an indoor electric meter just for tracking output from the modules. I've been checking it (the outdoor meter the POCO owns) at different periods and it never goes down. To confirm, I sat there and stared at it while it was returning energy to the grid on a sunny day, with next to nothing running in the house. It took a while but I saw the meter count up by 1 unit in real time.
        Most net meters keep track of consumption and generation, so you shouldn't see the number go down. You might want to check with your poco about how to read the meter.
        OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• ButchDeal
          Solar Fanatic
          • Apr 2014

It's a small town CO-OP.
          Are you sertainly your coop has net metering as well?

Comment

• Andygt02
            • Dec 2015

Originally posted by ButchDeal
            Are you sertainly your coop has net metering as well?

Positive. I would not have pulled the trigger if they didn't

On my bill they simply subtract the last reading from the new reading. If the meter is always counting up, how do they know what is consumption and what is generation?

Comment

• ButchDeal
              Solar Fanatic
              • Apr 2014

Positive. I would not have pulled the trigger if they didn't

On my bill they simply subtract the last reading from the new reading. If the meter is always counting up, how do they know what is consumption and what is generation?
              Most have two readings: net consumption, and net credits. At the end of the month credit is subtracted from consumption.
              You should contact them and find out how the meter us read and the net metering policy works.

NOTE that many states give coops exceptions to net metering requirements.

Comment

• Andygt02
                • Dec 2015

Originally posted by ButchDeal

Most have two readings: net consumption, and net credits. At the end of the month credit is subtracted from consumption.
                You should contact them and find out how the meter us read and the net metering policy works.

NOTE that many states give coops exceptions to net metering requirements.

The net-metering policy for my co-op:

Excess Generation Delivered to co-op:

a) co-op will monitor the delivered kwh by means of a bidirectional meter. This meter will be owned by co-op and will be read for billing once/month.

b) All kilowatt hours generated by the Facility and received by co-op will be credited on a monthly basis. The rate per kwh will be the average of the Locational Marginal Price (LMP) for the NEMA load zone. The credit will appear on the customer’s next monthly invoice as a line item with the nomenclature of “Net Metering Credit”.

Looks like I will have to trust them and wait to see if a new line appears on my next bill.

Comment

• Andygt02
                  • Dec 2015

Btw, I have an Elster REX1 meter.

Comment

• solarix
                    Super Moderator
                    • Apr 2015

Don't know where you are located, but many of these new digital meters report 15 minute interval data that is available from the utility via your online acct with them. Gives you great visibility into your usage and generation.
                    BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• peakbagger
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jun 2010

The rate per kwh will be the average of the Locational Marginal Price (LMP) for the NEMA load zone

I am going to ruin your bubble but this isn't net metering. Net metering is when the utility is selling you power back at the same rate as they are selling to you. They appear to be buying your excess power produced at some lower amount and then selling it back to you when you need it at a higher rate.

Comment

• Andygt02
                        • Dec 2015

Originally posted by peakbagger
                        The rate per kwh will be the average of the Locational Marginal Price (LMP) for the NEMA load zone

I am going to ruin your bubble but this isn't net metering. Net metering is when the utility is selling you power back at the same rate as they are selling to you. They appear to be buying your excess power produced at some lower amount and then selling it back to you when you need it at a higher rate.

Yeah, they're a non-profit publicly owned utility, however. We get charged the wholesale rate plus a small markup to cover maintenance. I should find out in a few days what it looks like. Anything is better than nothing. Electricity here is expensive, about 17 cents per kWh. If we pay early we get a 10% discount, which helps a bit.

Comment

Working...