• Show
Clear All
  • Woodworkerii
    • Jun 2017

Originally posted by jasonvr
    I get Fahrenheit by adding a rule in the "Extended Data Rule" section:
    v7 = 1.8 * v7 + 32;

It would be v9 instead based on your setup
    jasonvr, the temp conversion formula did the trick. Thanks for clearing that up. I think I tried a variation of it, but I didn't get the syntax right. I probably wouldn't have gotten it to that format because (to my non-engineering brain) it looks like it would cause the calculation to run an endless loop. In fact, I wasn't even sure if that was the right field to enter the formula. It all seems to be working well now.

Originally posted by sensij
    Another small change to consider in your settings... The "summary" column in the extended data is set to "last". If you set that to "change", when you look at your data in the daily view instead of the intraday view, I think it will display the range for the day instead of just the last value.
    sensij, I set the summary column to "change" as you suggested. Because I only have 3-days of data collected, I'm still watching to see the effect of various changes to the settings. I guess I'll still be "experimenting" for a bit. Once I get it all "dialed in", I'll probably look into adding hardware to monitor the consumption side. This solar project started out as a "smart investment" (which it certainly is); but has now turned into a "hobby". Having fun!
    Last edited by Woodworkerii; 07-05-2017, 10:59 PM.

Comment

• jasonvr
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jun 2017

Originally posted by sensij
      Another small change to consider in your settings... The "summary" column in the extended data is set to "last". If you set that to "change", when you look at your data in the daily view instead of the intraday view, I think it will display the range for the day instead of just the last value.
      So I just tried this out on my system and unfortunately it doesn't work like that. According to the help info, "Change" is "The last value minus the first value of the day". Sound like it basically shows you the temperature change from beginning of day to end of day (i.e. 00:00 to 23:59) which doesn't seem very useful other than showing if you have a general warming or cooler trend day over day. Seems like Highest or Average would be best for temperature.

Comment

• jasonvr
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Woodworkerii
        Once I get it all "dialed in", I'll probably look into adding hardware to monitor the consumption side. This solar project started out as a "smart investment" (which it certainly is); but has now turned into a "hobby". Having fun!
        I see you're just south of me in Lake Forest which means you are on SCE and should have a Zigbee capable smart meter. I'm getting my consumption information by using the net calculations on pvoutput and combining my SolarEdge data with the data from my Rainforest Eagle Zigbee monitor. Unless you're looking for something revenue grade, it's a pretty easy and cheap way to go. It links wirelessly with your smart meter and reports the net number on the meter. pvoutput is smart enough to combine that with the SE production numbers and figure out the consumption side of things with reasonable accuracy. You do have to contribute to pvoutput for this feature, but it seemed like a good and cheap investment to me (and you needed to contribute to get the higher interval from SE to pvoutput anyways, so you're probably already capable of the net calc).

Comment

• JSchnee21
          Solar Fanatic
          • May 2017

Thank you everyone, especially @Woodworkerii for the screen shots, I think I finally have PVOutput setup correctly (fingers crossed). For those of you who might be a PVOutput Noob (like me): A few high level steps to get you started:

1) Obviously create a PVOutput account and setup your system
          2) Perhaps not as obvious, while making a Donation to PVOutput is OPTIONAL, many/most of the really cool features require a small annual donation -- so do it! You'll need PayPal, so get this setup first
          3) For weather data, you'll need a Weather Underground account AND and WU developer API key. Both of which are free for personal low volume use. But, as a die hard fan of WU, and a PSU alumni, I had to give them some money as I use their website / apps / services everyday.
          4) Thank you so much for the extended data config info and syntax of the C=>F conversion command -- but it still took me a few minutes to realize you could flip through the different graphs by clicking on the little squares (-:
          5) I had to scout around a bit for a local weather station that had a solar radiation meter -- WU makes these somewhat arduous to find.
          6) I think I finally got both my production and consumption data setup correctly in PVOutput. I was hoping using "BOTH" would work. But it didn't seem to (Production stopped logging). I had to set my primary SE as "Solar" and setup and secondary SE (same site and API key) as Consumption. This seems to have fixed the issue.

Now all I need to do is figure out how to get my installer to enable the SE Monitoring Portal "Charts" and "Reports" features so I can graph per panel voltages, etc.

-Jonathan
          PVOutput.org - share, compare and monitor live solar photovoltaic output data

Comment

• Woodworkerii
            • Jun 2017

Originally posted by jasonvr
            ...I'm getting my consumption information by using the net calculations on pvoutput and combining my SolarEdge data with the data from my Rainforest Eagle Zigbee monitor. Unless you're looking for something revenue grade, it's a pretty easy and cheap way to go. It links wirelessly with your smart meter and reports the net number on the meter. pvoutput is smart enough to combine that with the SE production numbers and figure out the consumption side of things with reasonable accuracy...
            Well, I certainly like "easy and cheap"! That Rainforest Eagle solution looks very interesting. Not having to open the service panel to attach CTs is a big plus for me. I haven't had any luck finding an original model Eagle. Amazon no longer has it in stock. It's probably because the new Eagle-200 is due to come out later this summer. Hopefully, SCE is willing to provision it as soon as it's released.
            Is it still best to "buffer" the data through Wattvision first, or should I simply add the Eagle directly to PVOutput as a Secondary Device? I've read that by going through Wattvision, the data samples are averaged which results in more accurate consumption measurements overall. I wonder if this is still true; but since I like to "experiment", I'll probably try it both ways.

Comment

• jasonvr
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Woodworkerii

Well, I certainly like "easy and cheap"! That Rainforest Eagle solution looks very interesting. Not having to open the service panel to attach CTs is a big plus for me. I haven't had any luck finding an original model Eagle. Amazon no longer has it in stock. It's probably because the new Eagle-200 is due to come out later this summer. Hopefully, SCE is willing to provision it as soon as it's released.
              Is it still best to "buffer" the data through Wattvision first, or should I simply add the Eagle directly to PVOutput as a Secondary Device? I've read that by going through Wattvision, the data samples are averaged which results in more accurate consumption measurements overall. I wonder if this is still true; but since I like to "experiment", I'll probably try it both ways.
              I tried going directly from Rainforest and I wasn't too happy with it. Went back to Wattvision

Interesting about the Eagle-200. Looks like the big changes are adding Wifi instead of just hardwired Ethernet, as well as what appears to be a Zigbee hub, though I'm not 100% sure on that. The Wifi would be useful to me so that I can move the Eagle onto my guest Wifi network along with most of my other IoT devices that are inherently insecure.
              Last edited by jasonvr; 07-09-2017, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Working...