X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • raymondalmeda
    • Dec 2010

Mike / Sunking,

In a totally different topic. With my current equiptment, (3pcs. 12v 100w panels and 2pcs. 12v 100AH AGM Batteries). What can you recommend for my system to achieve best efficiency? I mean, would my panels be enough to charge my batteries? My plan is to have my computer, which consume 600wats in total, be powered as much as possible by solar setup. We have deviced an inverted online UPS (will get power from the batteries but load gets cut @ 12.2v, then it's immediately transfered to the GRID) to be used in this application.

Thanks!
    -Ameds-
    [URL="My starter solar setup"]http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=110199&id=1460868554&l=8dbb187d24[/URL]
    [URL="Video of my solar setup"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEq-6Lc3_SI[/URL]

Comment

• petset77
      • Dec 2010

12 or 24v setup

everything i have read explains in detail why 24vdc is more efficient than 12vdc. unless you will be wiring part of your structure for direct 12v DC usage, (12v lighting, RV based small appliances, power supplies etc., are less expensive than 24 or 48vdc versions), then 24v is better. even then, the cost for extra household wiring/circuit protection will offset much of the cost. price out the difference between #6 and #1awg wire. huge. AC to DC breakers, huge. if many of your loads will be DC, your runs will be over 10 feet unless you're in a tiny RV. if all of your loads will be 120 or 240vac, the under 10' number for the DC side cable runs might be realistic. as, or more importanty, if you already have your inverter in hand, that will determine how you wire your array and batteries. DC voltage will be posted on the unit somewhere, and in the paperwork. it will also post the maximum DC current draw, and wiring size for that is available in chart form in many books and online. finally, you might decide to upsize your system in the future. eventually, a 12vdc system will not cut it. i would wire it correctly now. good luck with your project.

Comment

Working...