Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SolarWorld's financial troubles - should I avoid them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SolarWorld's financial troubles - should I avoid them?

I have a quote from a reputable installer for a 4.5 kW system on my home. He recommends, and almost always installs, panels from SolarWorld. This week SolarWorld has been in the news (WSJ, Bloomberg, etc.) because of a $700 million supply contract dispute that could make the company bankrupt/insolvent.

Here are quotes from yesterday's WSJ:
    "The future of Europe’s largest independent maker of solar panels may hang in the balance after a U.S. court decided last week that European cartel law won’t protect SolarWorld AG from paying a supplier." and
    "If a court decides that SolarWorld must pay the demanded amount, it could push the cash-strapped company into insolvency."

Should I avoid SolarWorld panels? The 25-year warranty won't be of much value if the company goes bankrupt. How should I decide on an alternative panel company?

25-year warranty won't be of much value if the company goes bankrupt. How should I decide on an alternative panel company?
    Just pin the list to a dartboard. Nearly all PV mfg's are on a razor edge of going under. Maybe not Sanyo because they also sell lots of consumer goods too. When the USA subsidies go away 2016, that's going to take some more shine off of them.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...
    X