X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW CA Installation dataset

It looks like the IOU's have been required to report the details of every system installed that counts against the NEM cap. Like the old CSI database, it includes system size, equipment, installer, array orientation, and a few other details. Prices even started getting included on applications processed at the very end of May. The data set only goes through July 31 so far, but it looks like there should eventually be updates.

I've been able to track down a few of the install threads posted in the forum from the early summer, and see the actual price that was listed on the NEM application. I can also see that people are paying a heck of a lot more than the $3.50 / W we know is possible. The system size column is based on the system CEC rating... figuring the STC $ / W that we conventionally share takes an extra step of looking at the number and type of panels and performing the calculation.

I am certain the NEM application is the source of the data because the listing for my system has some errors on it that could have come only from that source.

See the "Currently Interconnected Data Set" available from here:
    https://www.californiasolarstatistic...ata_downloads/
    Last edited by sensij; 10-09-2015, 09:29 AM. Reason: fixed comment on $ / W
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Good info, but the price is not the purchase price. It is the price for PPA or lease ....

Comment

Thanks for the link!

So for PG&E users it should have every residential solar install since they started tracking it from the old CSI db? Going by the App Approved Date field it now has data through early Sept.

SolarCity by far runs the joint in my area, Vivint further behind where both are leasing about half the systems. Nobody else is close for project counts.

Comment

Originally posted by solar_newbie View Post
        Good info, but the price is not the purchase price. It is the price for PPA or lease ....
        Huh? Look at the column headed "Total System Cost", it is the purchase price (probably inclusive of panel upgrades, etc). It is blank for systems installed between the end of the CSI rebate and the end of May 2015, but is populated for systems installed in June and July 2015. The documentation suggests that more data has been included as the IOU's have switched to online submission of NEM applications.

Comment

Originally posted by sensij View Post
          . I can also see that people are paying a heck of a lot more than the $3.50 / W we know is possible.
          I have the feeling that for every person that finds this forum and finds out what they should be paying another 1000 people don't, and pay too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Yaryman View Post
            I have the feeling that for every person that finds this forum and finds out what they should be paying another 1000 people don't, and pay too much.
            I know . Many people does not trust me when I tell the price. They say it my drop by 50% since last year. But I told them it is just 10% drop or so. None trust me.

Comment

Sensij: Thank you far picking up/cleaning up my laziness about not staying current w/ what the CSI is doing.

Note too that a price /nameplate Watt is still possible as we have been using it, but some additional work will be necessary because listed size now uses the CEC rating rather than the nameplate rating. So, to get to the nameplate size will take a bit of work. For now, for a particular job, divide the price by the (nameplate rating * # of panels) product. Or, as a SWAG for the whole data set, I'd suggest multiplying Col. G by ~~ 1.06 - 1. 08 or so, but there may be an easier way.

In the mean time, some/most of the old CSI data is back and that can't be anything but good.

Comment

If you just look at the volume, you'd probably think SolarCity is the best installer ever. I didn't count, but it's installation base is probably more than twice the rest combined. Yet, anyone here ranks it last. It just shows how successful they're with marketing and salesmanship, even though in most cases they don't have the best quality and/or at the best price.
                16xLG300N1C+SE6000[url]http://tiny.cc/ojmxyx[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by thejq View Post
                  If you just look at the volume, you'd probably think SolarCity is the best installer ever. I didn't count, but it's installation base is probably more than twice the rest combined. Yet, anyone here ranks it last. It just shows how successful they're with marketing and salesmanship, even though in most cases they don't have the best quality and/or at the best price.
                  SolarCity and Sunpower confirm the Barnum's law. They were great stocks to own for a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

Note too that a price /nameplate Watt is still possible as we have been using it, but some additional work will be necessary because listed size now uses the CEC rating rather than the nameplate rating.
                    So the SolarWorld mono 280 panel has a CEC rating of 251 PTC.

So is 280 the dream world never going to happen wattage of the panel, and CEC number is the more likely real world number?

http://www.gosolarcalifornia.ca.gov/...pv_modules.php

Comment

Originally posted by Yaryman View Post
                      So the SolarWorld mono 280 panel has a CEC rating of 251 PTC.

So is 280 the dream world never going to happen wattage of the panel, and CEC number is the more likely real world number?

http://www.gosolarcalifornia.ca.gov/...pv_modules.php
                      The CEC # is probably closer to real world, whatever that may mean,but is still not representative of all real world conditions, any more than a nameplate rating. a CEC rating will probably be closer to reality in most, but not all cases, but will give a different $/Watt # than currently used, with the added complexity that the CEC/nameplate Wattage ratio varies as a % of nameplate Wattage for each different panel and mfg. That will skew the validity and understanding of the $/Watt figure when comparing prices using nameplate Watts in the denominator as used in the past, as the CEC Wattage will lead to a higher $/Watt figure. To get to the common (currently used) $/Watt #, it is necessary to multiply by the (CEC/nameplate) Wattage ratio for any panel under consideration.

Either CEC or nameplate Wattage can be used. Just know that they will lead to different $/Watt figures because they are different #'s, and some work is necessary to convert one to the other. I prefer the consistency of using nameplate Watts, but that means additional work to find out what the nameplate rating actually is when using the new CEC database. Seems like something was fixed that wasn't broken.

Comment

The data set has been updated through 8/31/15.

Comment

Just thought I'd revive this post since the CSI database has been updated as of June 2016. It's a massive data dump, but once you start filtering to the data you want, it makes evaluating your current quotes much easier. It's incredible how much people pay for their systems and I almost got caught doing the same if I hadn't found this forum!

Comment

Originally posted by Roboguy9512 View Post
                            Just thought I'd revive this post since the CSI database has been updated as of June 2016. It's a massive data dump, but once you start filtering to the data you want, it makes evaluating your current quotes much easier. It's incredible how much people pay for their systems and I almost got caught doing the same if I hadn't found this forum!
                            Yea - Sumpin' ta' see ain't it ? Best tool in town. CSI is your friend. Vendors hated it before.

Comment

Working...
                            X