X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rrwsandiego
    • Oct 2015

Analog meter, Smart Meter, Net Meter?

Hi,

Question on metering for solar. Currently we have an analog meter. Are you able to keep an analog meter and have solar panels installed with per panel monitoring. Every contractor I have spoken with does not seem to know. Tried calling SDG&E..waiting to hear back.

Thanks

Rachel
  • ButchDeal
    Solar Fanatic
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by rrwsandiego
    Hi,

Question on metering for solar. Currently we have an analog meter. Are you able to keep an analog meter and have solar panels installed with per panel monitoring. Every contractor I have spoken with does not seem to know. Tried calling SDG&E..waiting to hear back.

Thanks

Rachel
    Your power meter is almost deffinitly going to be replaced. Good news though it is not responsible for per module monitoring wich would be either micro inverters or optimizers.
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• thejq
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2014

Hi,

Thanks

Rachel
      Analog or smart (digital) meter is a physical piece of hardware that SDGE installs at your service panel. Net metering is an accounting/billing method for solar customers. You will need a smart meter to be on net metering. SDGE should be able to install it for free. I'm surprised that they still haven't upgraded yours.
      16xLG300N1C+SE6000[url]http://tiny.cc/ojmxyx[/url]

Comment

• inetdog
        Super Moderator
        • May 2012

Hi,

Thanks

Rachel
        Per panel monitoring is entirely a function of the optimizer or microinverters you use at each panel. It has nothing to do with production metering for SRECs (if your state has them) or Net Metering through POCO.

An analog meter will probably rotate the dials forward regardless of which way the disk is spinning. So no good for Net Metering. You could end up paying POCO for any excess you produce.
        Most, though not all, Smart Meters have the necessary hardware and firmware to do Net Metering, although it may have to be specifically enabled before it will count back. Most POCOs will install a new Smart Meter rather than changing the options on the existing one. Especially if you are changing to a Time Of Use (TOU) rate schedule. Not all Smart Meters can handle TOU.
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Working...