X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• while tabbing cells bend

Hi, I had to buy a 100 watt solder because the 60W I had didn`t melt the tin from the tabbing wires. Now, the 100 W does it perfectly, but the cells bend as it gets colder again after tabbing... already broke 2 since they bent 2 much...
    What is the best wattage to solder?
    Thanks!

The lowest temp, large tip to transfer heat, and regular tin/lead solder, not the lead free designed to fail stuff.

You will not have good luck with a $5 iron, you need a temp controller, or the heat will dissolve the metal layer off the cells.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Take a flat file and round one face of the iron's chisel tip just a bit, almost like a letter "J" but very gradual. this creates a little curved face which will glide the solder and gives a better contact point than the chisel tip and less than the entire flat face. If you pick up the iron and try to solder using the other original face of the tip after you've tried this curved face, you will see the difference right away. I like to use a piece of steel wool and constantly keep the tip clean. Heat up the iron, touch the tip with solder, wipe it on the steel wool, and then watch the tip. If it turns black in a bit it is too hot, it should stay shinny but turn this beautiful redish/purple color but shiny. If it oxidizes black it will be too hot. In my experience when soldering these cells, at least the ones I did this was the temp range that worked without cell warp and created smooth and shiny tabbing's that are secure. This was with Kester 60/40.

I couldn't find my good iron so grabbed the woodburning iron from the kids woodburning kit and slapped on a $3 lamp cord dimming rheostat and filed the tip. It works great I'm guessing it's maybe 20-25 watts. As Mike the Moderator mentioned, it's all about the heat and technique. I don't think you want to melt the tin. Others may have different opinions, but this worked for me.

Comment

Working...
      X