X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MoJ
    • Sep 2015

7.2KW system in San Diego - would love input

Hi all. Amazing how much I've learned here in the last month - I've gone from "maybe next year" to "gotta get moving NOW" in less than a month, thanks to the rapidly approaching NetMetering 1 cap.

I've gotten several quotes - all from folks with great references. I've got a large flat roof that faces south and can handle about 26-27 panels. The primary contenders are:

1. 7,020 kW - 26 Axitec 270M panels with Fronius 6.0-1 inverter - $23.9k = $3.41/w
    2. 7,500 kW - 25 LG 300W panels with LG inverter - $23.1k = $3.07/w
    3. 6,900 kW - 22 LG 315W panels with Fronius 7.6-1 inverter - $25.9k = $3.74/w

Couple of questions -

1. The $/W on these seem higher than many of you are getting ... do I need to keep shopping or am I in the ballpark?

2. If I have a 7,020-7,290 kW system (maybe squeeze in another panel if we can)... will the Fronius 6.0-1 be enough to handle or do we need to go with the 7.6-1? The current subpanel can handle 30A from the 6.0-1 but would probably need to be upgraded to handle >40A from the 7-6.1. I'm being told that at 80% efficiency, the 6.0-1 is more than adequate.

Thanks in advance!!!!
  • Yaryman
    Banned
    • Aug 2015

Originally posted by MoJ

1. The $/W on these seem higher than many of you are getting ... do I need to keep shopping or am I in the ballpark?
    While I'm not in San Diego, ( in the SF Bay Area ) any quote under $3.5/W in California seems about the best price possible.

Just my impression, but if you have heard a radio or TV commercial for an installer, most likely you end up paying for
    the commercial and the salesperson that will accompany that commercial.

Comment

• solar_newbie
      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by MoJ
      Hi all. Amazing how much I've learned here in the last month - I've gone from "maybe next year" to "gotta get moving NOW" in less than a month, thanks to the rapidly approaching NetMetering 1 cap.

I've gotten several quotes - all from folks with great references. I've got a large flat roof that faces south and can handle about 26-27 panels. The primary contenders are:

1. 7,020 kW - 26 Axitec 270M panels with Fronius 6.0-1 inverter - $23.9k = $3.41/w

Couple of questions -

2. If I have a 7,020-7,290 kW system (maybe squeeze in another panel if we can)... will the Fronius 6.0-1 be enough to handle or do we need to go with the 7.6-1? The current subpanel can handle 30A from the 6.0-1 but would probably need to be upgraded to handle >40A from the 7-6.1. I'm being told that at 80% efficiency, the 6.0-1 is more than adequate.

Thanks in advance!!!!
      You got good quote for 3.07/w Why you complaint ... All electrical upgrade is extra ...

Comment

• MoJ
        • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Yaryman
        While I'm not in San Diego, ( in the SF Bay Area ) any quote under $3.5/W in California seems about the best price possible.

Just my impression, but if you have heard a radio or TV commercial for an installer, most likely you end up paying for
        the commercial and the salesperson that will accompany that commercial.
        That's what I needed to hear thanks for the affirmation!

I'm from the same school ... if I see or hear ads all over for your company, I know how big your marketing budget is (and overhead!).

Now the fun part ... the $3.41/w system is from the installer I like the most, but he's giving me a crazy good deal on Axitec panels. I'm having a hard time getting good feedback on these panels and may end up having him requote with LG.

Got the good news that our breaker can handle the Fronius 7.6-1 afterall, so that gives me enough headway that it's a no-brainer to spend the extra $500.

Comment

• solar_newbie
          • Aug 2015

Originally posted by MoJ
          That's what I needed to hear thanks for the affirmation!

I'm from the same school ... if I see or hear ads all over for your company, I know how big your marketing budget is (and overhead!).

Now the fun part ... the $3.41/w system is from the installer I like the most, but he's giving me a crazy good deal on Axitec panels. I'm having a hard time getting good feedback on these panels and may end up having him requote with LG.

Got the good news that our breaker can handle the Fronius 7.6-1 afterall, so that gives me enough headway that it's a no-brainer to spend the extra $500.
          Why you go with unknown panel when you got better quote for LG ? Your 3.07/w is with LG right?

Comment

• MARKSDCA
            • Apr 2015

Originally posted by MoJ

Couple of questions -

Thanks in advance!!!!

This sounds like my system exactly.....San Diego, Fronius 6.0, 26 Solarworld panels for 7020 watts total (Fronius Tech support said I can go 20% over the label so up to 7200 watts was ok on the 6.0)

I spent less than $14,000 installed. I did all the buying and the running around. I have a simple shade-less comp shingle roof.

I made 43 kWh on my first day. My installers work full time for a big solar company and moonlight on their days off. They were awesome.
            DIY 7.3 kW "I COUNT NONE BUT SUNNY HOURS"

Comment

• MARKSDCA
              • Apr 2015

Originally posted by MoJ

Exactly. I hear those ads from that flag waving guy at Peterson Dean and I ask myself two questions: 1. Is this guy talking to me or the Tea Party? And 2. He must REALLY be expensive if he's paying for all that airtime!!

I feel the same way about Progressive Insurance. More ads in more places than anybody...I think I'm seeing Flo in my sleep! But their rates are atrocious.

Comment

• SanDiego_installer
                • Oct 2013

Axitec is an inexpensive polycrystalline panel, and made in China........and that contractor that you like is going to make a killing

It's a no brainer, go with the 7.5 kW system with LG panels @ $3.07/Watt

Comment

• paul65k
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2015

I would be sure to ask about the LG300's with inverter.......if these are the panels with integrated micro inverters than you need to be aware that LG has yet to find a sustainable option for monitoring.......according to my friend that owns a large solar company in SD they are great panels but the monitoring JUST DOESN'T WORK.

Comment

• MoJ
                    • Sep 2015

Originally posted by MARKSDCA
                    This sounds like my system exactly.....San Diego, Fronius 6.0, 26 Solarworld panels for 7020 watts total (Fronius Tech support said I can go 20% over the label so up to 7200 watts was ok on the 6.0)

Mark- my understanding is that the 6.0 inverter caps output at 6k watts ... can you confirm that you're actually getting >6k watts in peak production?

Comment

• ButchDeal
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by MoJ
                      Mark- my understanding is that the 6.0 inverter caps output at 6k watts ... can you confirm that you're actually getting >6k watts in peak production?
                      That inverter is capable of 6kw max AC. 7.2kw of modules is never going to hit 7.2 kW production but depending on location, tilt, azimuth, and weather it might produce over 6kw of DC on occasion, resulting in some clipping.
                      OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• bcroe
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by ButchDeal
                        That inverter is capable of 6kw max AC. 7.2kw of modules is never going to hit 7.2 kW production but depending on location, tilt, azimuth, and weather it might produce over 6kw of DC on occasion, resulting in some clipping.
                        If its like my Fronius, DC will have to exceed 6250 W before there will be any clipping. Bruce Roe

Comment

• MARKSDCA
                          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by MoJ
                          Well it's not like I sit there with my coffee and read out the wattage. OK, I do actually.

The highest I have ever witnessed was 6144 watts....and that was ever so briefly when there were some super high thin clouds....the kind that create a halo around the sun.....and it spiked over 6000 for the first time.

The highest I routinely get to is 5600-5800 somewhere around noon-1:30pm

Comment

• MoJ
                            • Sep 2015

Thanks everyone (again) for the affirmation. I ran some simulations with PVsyst and yeah, the performance ratio between the 6 and 7 is .1% different - and the total power produced is just a hair apart... so I'll now save the $600 and go with the smaller one.

Comment

• MoJ
                              • Sep 2015

Done. Pulled the trigger.

I ended up going with Axitec afterall - the economics were just too good. At least $3k more to go LG. I ended up at $3.15/watt total.

Of the quotes I received, the one for LG panels/LG inverter at $3.07 was lower, but that company was using subs and I couldn't get enough good reviews to feel confident about them. The contractor I did select has great reviews and I met with the owner (not just the sales guy) and I felt good about them.

The fun begins ... should be generating by Thanksgiving, if all things go according to schedule!

Comment

Working...