X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mdb
    • Sep 2015

Selecting a solar panel installer based on warranty, years in business, price?

How should one go about selecting an system/installer?

Years in business? Unless they contractor has been in roofing or some other business historically, it appears most companies started circa 2005-2010. If the company that installs my system today goes out of business tomorrow, how hard is it to find someone else to do warranty work on my system?

Bond? One installer sent me a copy of their bond stating something about how that insurances their business/customers...? (I'm really didn't understand how this is supposed to reassure me in selecting them)

Warranty? How important are the warranties the installer provides? If the panels and optimizers/inverters are all manufacturer warranties, does it matter who does the installation or the warranty repair? Does the manufacturer typically cover the replacement part and labor when needed?

Price? What is a good price? $$$/watt?

Any other advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
  • solar pete
    Administrator
    • May 2014

Originally posted by mdb
    How should one go about selecting an system/installer?

Years in business? Unless they contractor has been in roofing or some other business historically, it appears most companies started circa 2005-2010. If the company that installs my system today goes out of business tomorrow, how hard is it to find someone else to do warranty work on my system?

Bond? One installer sent me a copy of their bond stating something about how that insurances their business/customers...? (I'm really didn't understand how this is supposed to reassure me in selecting them)

Warranty? How important are the warranties the installer provides? If the panels and optimizers/inverters are all manufacturer warranties, does it matter who does the installation or the warranty repair? Does the manufacturer typically cover the replacement part and labor when needed?

Price? What is a good price? $$$/watt?

Any other advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
    Howdy mdb, like with anything opinions vary. I would look for a company that has been in business for at least 3 or 4 years, has good reviews on www.solarreviews.com (preferably a pre-screened solar pro), manufactuers hold the warranty on their products, and around 3.50 per watt seems like it is about the average if you have a standard install, cheers keep reading and learn as much as you can before you do anything.

Comment

• solar_newbie
      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by solar pete
      Howdy mdb, like with anything opinions vary. I would look for a company that has been in business for at least 3 or 4 years, has good reviews on www.solarreviews.com (preferably a pre-screened solar pro), manufactuers hold the warranty on their products, and around 3.50 per watt seems like it is about the average if you have a standard install, cheers keep reading and learn as much as you can before you do anything.
      How about yelp and BBB rating ? I see solarreviewer.com is business company to charge reference to installer. I wonder if it is good ?

Comment

• Naptown
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by solar_newbie
        How about yelp and BBB rating ? I see solarreviewer.com is business company to charge reference to installer. I wonder if it is good ?
        Both are viable alternatives.
        Discount if a business is BBB accredited this just means they paid the BBB for the title and it means nothing.
        Yelp is good
        Angie's list is good
        Your local consumer affairs office is good.
        Yes Solar reviews installers can purchase leads but you can also use to read reviews from customers who used the various installers and make your short list from there.
        NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• Justjames
          • Sep 2015

I have my std. A little bit higher like at least 10 years in business, type of warranty and a lot of review both good and bad. I dont like to just read 5 star review which might not be real customer. I know my price per watt might not be as low as other but at least I got what I pay for.

Oh btw I dont like installer which subcontract to other company.

Comment

• solar pete
            Administrator
            • May 2014

Originally posted by solar_newbie
            Well it pays the bills around here, so it good for you isnt it. Solar Reviews allows solar companies a free listing, they can also subscribe where they get access to tools that allow them to interact with potential customers.

Yelp hide good reviews and only publish bad ones until the company starts to pay them, bbb is good

Comment

• forrest1
              • May 2015

All of the above.
              Regarding years in business, I went with a company with a 30+ year history in electrical contracting; I'm not sure a 30+ year roofing company would bring the same expertise in electric stuff, but maybe in waterproofing the mounting points. We did the roof at the same time, using a 30+ year roofing company, and they both worked nicely together, so I got the best of both, I think. I was very happy with the whole process and both companies. We have used the roofer again, to reroof my parents house, again very happy.
              We talked to several PV installers, and I was impressed that some are very responsible companies, while some seemed like basically just sales outfits, contracting out the actual work, and unlikely to be around in a few years.
              It's worth doing your homework, and anybody that reads this forum is already WAY ahead, I think.
              [url]http://tinyurl.com/p37gryz[/url]

Comment

Working...