X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by w00dy
    Our NEM True-Up bill was just sent to us - and for the year we overproduced by 30 cents...

That is crazy - I am pretty sure that will never happen again...getting it that close in year one is quite surprising.
    My 1st wife was a CPA. She played games with withholding and non W-2 income and deductions to see how close she could get the check we cut to the IRS on 04/15 was as close to 0 as possible. She usually got pretty close.

Comment

• foo1bar
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2014

Originally posted by J.P.M.

My 1st wife was a CPA. She played games with withholding and non W-2 income and deductions to see how close she could get the check we cut to the IRS on 04/15 was as close to 0 as possible. She usually got pretty close.
      My goal has been to generally get it close to $1000. But without going over unless I can use one of the other safe-harbors.

But that's almost a philosophical debate on whether you're better off holding on to your money until you absolutely have to pay the IRS.

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by foo1bar

My goal has been to generally get it close to $1000. But without going over unless I can use one of the other safe-harbors.

But that's almost a philosophical debate on whether you're better off holding on to your money until you absolutely have to pay the IRS.
        No philosophy about it for me. If I pay owed taxes earlier than required, I lose the use of the money earlier than necessary. That costs me $$ and also has a lost opportunity cost. I always wanted to delay paying estimated taxes and/or reducing withholding as much as legally possible for the same reason. My first SWMBO had fun getting as close to zero owed by 04/15 as possible. We compromised. She got her way on the taxes and I received future considerations.

Comment

• w00dy
          • Jul 2015

Year 2 update: Total True Up NEM total charges for this year $81.47

We ended up charging the EV more at home this year than last year, didn't focus as much on TOU periods for daily chores, and this year we had a lot more cloudy and rainy days in the winter months - which probably contributed to a slight decrease in solar generation. I don't know how much panel degradation occurs in 2 years either.

edit: Our off peak usage went up year over year by 600kWh - mostly due to all additional car charging done off peak.
          Last edited by w00dy; 09-28-2017, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Working...