X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jflorey2
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2015

Originally posted by w00dy
    Thanks for that info - so that would add 16,800 kW per year to our needs?? at 3 miles per kwhr * 5600 miles??
    About 1900kwhr per year. You did that backwards.

Comment

• Asclepius
      • Sep 2015

Hi,

I have been in the planning stage for several months to possibly do a DIY grid tied installation next spring. However, I also want to keep up with what some of the Solar companies might charge me as a comparison, carrot, and/or to change my mind about DIY.

I have a recent quote that seems reasonable.

3.36K system
      12 280W Solarworld Panels
      12 250W Enphase Microinverters

$3.50 per Watt before FTC

I have trepidation about this sizing mostly due to PG&E looking to switch to new tiers (2 standard). We currently use about 500-600KW per month and I would like to keep us at the lower cost tier. We would like to offset our power production by about 60% at a minimum.We are as energy efficient as I expect we will ever be at the moment.

Based on PV Watts this system at our location could generate 5,433 kWh per Year - which if I understand the numbers provided by PV Watts - is more than the 60% goal and is more like 80% of last years electrical use. I am OK with that based on the costs.

I do wonder what replacing one of our gas cars with an EV (e.g. low priced used Nissan Leaf) would add to our energy use. We could use the EV as our primary errands/around town car. We only spent $1200 total on gasoline last year for our 2 family cars - so we don't drive a ton, and have little to no commute. I would use the EV to replace an aging 11 year old gasoline car that gets poor sub 20mpg. The EV would account for probably 70% of our future driving needs. And the cost of the car would be offset by the amount we can sell our low mileage 2004 car.

I thought I would post my numbers to see if anyone has any comments on where we are right now - and how my numbers look.
      Hi W00dy, Your numbers are certainly better looking than mine. I've been gathering bids and talking to various local installers within the 3 months. I'm within spitting distance to your numbers (slightly higher than $3.5/watt). Would you mine sharing which installer quoted you $3.5/watt? Thanks.

Comment

• khoang
        • Sep 2015

Hi,

I have been in the planning stage for several months to possibly do a DIY grid tied installation next spring. However, I also want to keep up with what some of the Solar companies might charge me as a comparison, carrot, and/or to change my mind about DIY.

I have a recent quote that seems reasonable.

3.36K system
        12 280W Solarworld Panels
        12 250W Enphase Microinverters

$3.50 per Watt before FTC

I have trepidation about this sizing mostly due to PG&E looking to switch to new tiers (2 standard). We currently use about 500-600KW per month and I would like to keep us at the lower cost tier. We would like to offset our power production by about 60% at a minimum.We are as energy efficient as I expect we will ever be at the moment.

Based on PV Watts this system at our location could generate 5,433 kWh per Year - which if I understand the numbers provided by PV Watts - is more than the 60% goal and is more like 80% of last years electrical use. I am OK with that based on the costs.

I do wonder what replacing one of our gas cars with an EV (e.g. low priced used Nissan Leaf) would add to our energy use. We could use the EV as our primary errands/around town car. We only spent $1200 total on gasoline last year for our 2 family cars - so we don't drive a ton, and have little to no commute. I would use the EV to replace an aging 11 year old gasoline car that gets poor sub 20mpg. The EV would account for probably 70% of our future driving needs. And the cost of the car would be offset by the amount we can sell our low mileage 2004 car.

I thought I would post my numbers to see if anyone has any comments on where we are right now - and how my numbers look.
        I'm from the same area. this is a very good quote. Can you please share the installer's name?

Comment

• w00dy
          • Jul 2015

Once I see if the $$$ numbers are good, in a written contract, I can share my installers name with those interested...

Comment

• khoang
            • Sep 2015

Once I see if the $$$ numbers are good, in a written contract, I can share my installers name with those interested...
            What's your timeline? I'm still in the shopping phase so some reference point to compare installers would be helpful. How is the warranty? monitoring?

Comment

• w00dy
              • Jul 2015

Originally posted by khoang
              What's your timeline? I'm still in the shopping phase so some reference point to compare installers would be helpful. How is the warranty? monitoring?
              I am currently just in the shopping phase - timeline was originally next spring, but I might bump that up if the right price comes along. I am still waiting for more details from the company with regards to everything...

Comment

• w00dy
                • Jul 2015

Also as an aside - my system is pretty easy for any installer. We have a 3 year old home with a oversize main electrical panel that was already designed for adding solar when we wanted it. We have plenty of easily accessed safe roof space for the PV panel installation including easy future expansion if we want. We are installing the panels on a standing seam metal roof, and the solar panel load was already accounted for in our design by our structural engineer during our home build. Finally, we have an empty conduit run from close to our main electrical panel to just under the roof location where the panels will be installed - so wiring will be somewhat painless with an easy conduit run straight down the exterior of the house, and a short conduit run inside our garage.

I think it will be a one day job labor wise. No roof penetrations, little issues with wiring, simple permit process etc...All of that adds up to a lower finished cost for our job.

Right now I am discussing adding panels to our system to get it a bit larger for future needs - if we can get the price right!

Comment

• khoang
                  • Sep 2015

Also as an aside - my system is pretty easy for any installer. We have a 3 year old home with a oversize main electrical panel that was already designed for adding solar when we wanted it. We have plenty of easily accessed safe roof space for the PV panel installation including easy future expansion if we want. We are installing the panels on a standing seam metal roof, and the solar panel load was already accounted for in our design by our structural engineer during our home build. Finally, we have an empty conduit run from close to our main electrical panel to just under the roof location where the panels will be installed - so wiring will be somewhat painless with an easy conduit run straight down the exterior of the house, and a short conduit run inside our garage.

I think it will be a one day job labor wise. No roof penetrations, little issues with wiring, simple permit process etc...All of that adds up to a lower finished cost for our job.

Right now I am discussing adding panels to our system to get it a bit larger for future needs - if we can get the price right!
                  what kind of warranty are you getting? Is is through the installer or through individual component makers?

Comment

• w00dy
                    • Jul 2015

Originally posted by khoang
                    what kind of warranty are you getting? Is is through the installer or through individual component makers?
                    Hi Khoang - don't know what the details are on the warranty yet - still hashing out details on size/cost first.

Comment

• w00dy
                      • Jul 2015

I was able to meet with the company owner a couple of days ago and received an updated quote to expand our system from 12 panels to 16 panels.

The upgrade cost is not as good as I was bargaining for/hoping, so I now need to decide where to go with the upgrade option.

Initial System Quote:
                      3.36kW system
                      12 Panels SW280
                      12 Enphase M250
                      $11,760 - $3.5/watt

Upgraded System
                      4.48kW
                      16 Solarworld SW280
                      16 Enphase M250
                      $15,120 - $3.375

The upgrade itself is priced at $3/watt and totals $840 per incremental panel addition.

I could upgrade in the future fairly easily if I wanted to - I could buy the 4 panels, micro inverters and S-5-PV-Kit metal roof mounting brackets for around $640 per panel...which would only save me $800. Not much as I would need to wire them up, add the brackets above the installed panels (higher up on the roof...). So I am pretty sure I am sold on NO DIY for me!

Now I just need to decide on the size of the system to choose...

Comment

• paul65k
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Aug 2015

I was able to meet with the company owner a couple of days ago and received an updated quote to expand our system from 12 panels to 16 panels.

The upgrade cost is not as good as I was bargaining for/hoping, so I now need to decide where to go with the upgrade option.

Initial System Quote:
                        3.36kW system
                        12 Panels SW280
                        12 Enphase M250
                        $11,760 - $3.5/watt

Upgraded System
                        4.48kW
                        16 Solarworld SW280
                        16 Enphase M250
                        $15,120 - $3.375

The upgrade itself is priced at $3/watt and totals $840 per incremental panel addition.

I could upgrade in the future fairly easily if I wanted to - I could buy the 4 panels, micro inverters and S-5-PV-Kit metal roof mounting brackets for around $640 per panel...which would only save me $800. Not much as I would need to wire them up, add the brackets above the installed panels (higher up on the roof...). So I am pretty sure I am sold on NO DIY for me!

Good for you......sounds like a great way to go!!

Back to DIY I just got a quote for my friend/neighbor from the same guy that did mine and his quote for a 5.5KW system;
                        • 18 - LG 315W panels
                        • 18 - Enphase M250 Inverters
                        • All racking and connectors
                        • Plans and Engineering drawings for the Local Building department
                        • Paperwork with the local Utility (SCE) to initiate the Netmetering contract when complete

This came to $11,980 before FTC or $2.09 per watt ($1.47 after tax credit)..................not saying anyone should go DIY or not just relaying the information for everyone's info.

Comment

• w00dy
                          • Jul 2015

I need to decide on if we are getting a EV for sure - if we are, then the upgraded 16 panel system makes the most sense. If we stick with gasoline cars then the original 12 panel quote is probably perfect for us.

Right now a used Nissan Leaf around here sells for $9k and up depending on options (we do want one of the nicer models). I could see us using just about the expected incremental increase 4 panels would give us in kW. Therefore the net cost for 4 more panels, after the FTC, is only a $2350 out of pocket expense this year and we could save around $840 in gas usage each year we use an EV for our short trips. That means the break even for the upgrade might be around 3 years when gasoline costs are only factored.

Hmmm, many decisions to make!

Comment

• paul65k
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Aug 2015

I need to decide on if we are getting a EV for sure - if we are, then the upgraded 16 panel system makes the most sense. If we stick with gasoline cars then the original 12 panel quote is probably perfect for us.

Right now a used Nissan Leaf around here sells for $9k and up depending on options (we do want one of the nicer models). I could see us using just about the expected incremental increase 4 panels would give us in kW. Therefore the net cost for 4 more panels, after the FTC, is only a $2350 out of pocket expense this year and we could save around $840 in gas usage each year we use an EV for our short trips. That means the break even for the upgrade might be around 3 years when gasoline costs are only factored.

Hmmm, many decisions to make!
                            And............That's before CA adds the new gas taxes that are looking to add.....payback could be even quicker

Comment

• solar_newbie
                              • Aug 2015

Initial System Quote:
                              3.36kW system
                              12 Panels SW280
                              12 Enphase M250
                              $11,760 - $3.5/watt

Upgraded System
                              4.48kW
                              16 Solarworld SW280
                              16 Enphase M250
                              $15,120 - $3.375

If you want to upgrade, Choose bigger than 16 panels since 20amp breaker can hold max 16 panel. So installer must connect 2 breakers you can go up to 32 in the future.

Comment

• Willaby
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Jun 2015

4.48kW
                                16 Solarworld SW280
                                16 Enphase M250
                                $15,120 - $3.375

Your $3.375/w is about the best I've heard of, give or take a dime. When I added two panels to my deal, there was no extra stanchions required plus the cost of the additional optimizers is about $100 less each than the M250's. My final was $3.45 and I also did my own conduit.

Regarding additional capacity, you've heard about SB350 to cut gas use by 50%? It's been put to rest for the time being, but that is how it starts. There are two other bills to increase gas taxes. Point is if you don't get a Leaf this year, more likely it will be in your near future. To add panels later may require additional permits, NEM contract, etc, unless you just "sneak" them up there (which I've wondered about doing myself).

Comment

Working...