X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • newe70
    • Aug 2015

Thank you guys for your inputs!

The weather has been hot here in Signal Hill this week. I have two cars also park inside the garage after coming home from work. The temperature inside is like an oven. If I'm going to mount an inverter inside my garage, definitely the temperature will be hotter during summer time without a doubt. With the poor air circulation and the garage is close most of the day can possibly cause an overheated issue. This is also another safety concern factor worth to think again.

Comment

• foo1bar
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2014

Originally posted by newe70
      definitely the temperature will be hotter during summer time without a doubt. With the poor air circulation and the garage is close most of the day can possibly cause an overheated issue. This is also another safety concern factor worth to think again.
      Doubtful that it's really a safety concern.
      IF the inverter actually reaches a temperature where it's too hot, there should be electronics within it to detect that it's too hot and shut itself off.
      HOWEVER it's unlikely that in the shade inside a garage it'll actually get too hot.
      Maybe if you have a black roof and live in Death Valley.

For example, Solaredge says in their manual that it operates up to 60C (140F)
      Even in a garage attic it's probably not hitting 140F, much less down at regular levels.
      On really hot days you're probably hitting 120F - pretty unbearable for humans, but still within the opearting range for many inverters.

Now - would it be better if you had it on a north facing wall where it's 20F cooler than your garage? I think so (can't see it being worse- seems likely that the electronics would last longer)

But is there a safety concern? IMO No.

Comment

• newe70
        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by foo1bar
        Doubtful that it's really a safety concern.
        IF the inverter actually reaches a temperature where it's too hot, there should be electronics within it to detect that it's too hot and shut itself off.
        HOWEVER it's unlikely that in the shade inside a garage it'll actually get too hot.
        Maybe if you have a black roof and live in Death Valley.

For example, Solaredge says in their manual that it operates up to 60C (140F)
        Even in a garage attic it's probably not hitting 140F, much less down at regular levels.
        On really hot days you're probably hitting 120F - pretty unbearable for humans, but still within the opearting range for many inverters.

Now - would it be better if you had it on a north facing wall where it's 20F cooler than your garage? I think so (can't see it being worse- seems likely that the electronics would last longer)

But is there a safety concern? IMO No.
        Thank you much for the info.

I have an onsite evaluation this afternoon for the panel arrays placement on my roof and the shading test. I was told the shading report and site plan could come in about 7-10 days for me to sign off b4 permitting process. One less steps to the finish line.
        Attached Files

Comment

• newe70
          • Aug 2015

Here is the panel array layout.

Edit: sorry wrong layout.
          Attached Files

Comment

• newe70
            • Aug 2015

Here is a current proposed layout.
            Attached Files

Comment

• newe70
              • Aug 2015

Woohoo...just got an email from my HOA tonight. It is approved!!!

Comment

• newe70
                • Aug 2015

Would you advice me to have my installer work around these two venting pipes on my roof or add on a 90 degree elbow adapter and reposition these venting pipes to a another location. Is there any concern I should be worry about down the road if I reposition these venting pipes?

image.jpg

Comment

• solar_newbie
                  • Aug 2015

Woohoo...just got an email from my HOA tonight. It is approved!!!
                  Congrats I am also waiting for the installation .....

Comment

• skipro3
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jul 2015

I'd tie at least those two into one and locate nearer the ridge line. Actually, I'd tie all three in the photo together, to the higher one.

Comment

• newe70
                      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by solar_newbie
                      Congrats I am also waiting for the installation .....
                      You are possibly a few steps ahead of me . I'm still waiting for the final engineering plan from my installer for reviewing and sign off b4 going into the permitting process. Hoping to hear from my installer this week.

Comment

• newe70
                        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by skipro3
                        I'd tie at least those two into one and locate nearer the ridge line. Actually, I'd tie all three in the photo together, to the higher one.
                        Is there any concern or maybe possible venting issue down the road if they both tie for the lower two venting pipes to my roof ridge line?

Comment

• skipro3
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jul 2015

Is there any concern or maybe possible venting issue down the road if they both tie for the lower two venting pipes to my roof ridge line?
                          Not that I know of. Most plumbers run a vent from each trap; either a toilet, a sink or a shower/tub. It's easy for them to make a bee-line to the roof, then let the roofer deal with how to mount the vent flashing. It's probably a wash on the cost; the extra roof flashing for a vent vs the extra PVC and elbows to combine them.

When I built my home, I routed one vent for each bathroom, the laundry room (has the washer and a sink) and the kitchen shared a vent; 3 vents on the roof. I have 8 sinks, tubs, showers, laundry traps that could have individually been vented. I also routed them all to the back side of the house so they are not visible from the street.

If you go this route, use 45 degree joints, not 90 degree. You need to keep a pitch to them so water from rain goes down to the trap under the sink or what-ever is being vented. Also, I'd just do it and NOT put it on the plans being submitted for the permit. As far as an inspector is concerned; the vents are and always have been what they are.

Comment

• sjsun
                            • Jan 2015

Thank you outie and thejq for your valuable inputs and feedbacks. I pulled a trigger for this system size at 4.6kW, 15 LG305 panels, 1 SE with the optimizer yesterday. I went with a 12 yrs loan term for now at 2.99%. Also submitted to the HOA for the approval. I will be the first resident to go green in the community and hoping that the HOA will get the paper rolling without any issue nor delay.
                            $3.53/W, wow! Can you please PM me the installer? Best quotes I have gotten so far are $4.2/W.

Comment

• sjsun
                              • Jan 2015

Thank you solarpete for recommended the website also. I forgot to share the system cost...it was at $3.53/W. Not the greatest price, but I really this installer's presentation, no rushing and pushing, took time to answer all of my questions and concerned.

Where do you guys install your SE inverter? I'm planing to mount the inverter inside my garage to give this electronic device a little tlc from the nature elements such as; direct sunlight, rain, temperature, and possible vandalism. Is there any issue with the temperature of the unit when you mounted inside the garage? Since there is less air circulation when the garage door is close most of the time?

Thank you much in advance for your feedbacks.
                              Wait, is the $3.53 before Federal tax credit or after?

Comment

• newe70
                                • Aug 2015

Originally posted by skipro3
                                Not that I know of. Most plumbers run a vent from each trap; either a toilet, a sink or a shower/tub. It's easy for them to make a bee-line to the roof, then let the roofer deal with how to mount the vent flashing. It's probably a wash on the cost; the extra roof flashing for a vent vs the extra PVC and elbows to combine them.

When I built my home, I routed one vent for each bathroom, the laundry room (has the washer and a sink) and the kitchen shared a vent; 3 vents on the roof. I have 8 sinks, tubs, showers, laundry traps that could have individually been vented. I also routed them all to the back side of the house so they are not visible from the street.

If you go this route, use 45 degree joints, not 90 degree. You need to keep a pitch to them so water from rain goes down to the trap under the sink or what-ever is being vented. Also, I'd just do it and NOT put it on the plans being submitted for the permit. As far as an inspector is concerned; the vents are and always have been what they are.
                                Appreciated for your feedbacks. I will keep that in mind and will also need to decide soon.

Comment

Working...