Try our solar cost and savings calculator
Most Popular Topics
Collapse
LG Panels use anti-reflective glass? HOA demands.
Collapse
X
-
That's interesting, thanks. And congratulations for getting past the hurdle. -
LG reflective info update
The installers finally heard back from LG.
"Please see the attached reflectance test report of LG solar cell and a datasheet of AR glass. LG module reflects as little as 2% of incoming sunlight with using high Light Transmittance AR glass which is much lower than conventional glass. Thanks."
BTW, the troublesome board member has resigned. Thanks to all who helped.Leave a comment:
-
It does appear that the 12 year panels all have more explicit literature that mentions the ARC glass. BTW, the grapevine indicates that our troublesome board member resigned today. Fingers crossed and hopeful that this coming week will bring a resolution from LG. Thanks.Leave a comment:
-
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease.I called them (and used their web contact form) last Tuesday but haven't yet heard anything. The HOA board is generally pretty good, there's just one member that bullies and dominates the others, creating havoc for the rest of us. Hmm, reminds me of my family and life in general.Leave a comment:
-
I called them (and used their web contact form) last Tuesday but haven't yet heard anything. The HOA board is generally pretty good, there's just one member that bullies and dominates the others, creating havoc for the rest of us. Hmm, reminds me of my family and life in general.Leave a comment:
-
I'd call LG and ask where info is published on any ARC they use and on which models. Not that it matters, but I wonder if anyone on your HOA board has a clue what they are doing.Leave a comment:
-
I think any LG panel with a 12 year warranty is likely to be from the new
series. They're selling some 305's like that, so you might not need to spring
for 320's. Good luck!Leave a comment:
-
Thanks Dan. If the brochure included the LG280S1C-B3, it would satisfy the HOA... I think. Since there doesn't appear to be anything similar for the 280, I may be required to go with the NeON 2 panels.The even more recent brochure,
Green.com.au offers Aussie-owned solar panels, batteries, inverters, heat pumps & EV chargers. Full solar installation services for homes & businesses.
says the new Neon 2 modules (like LG320) do use antireflective glass.
But I can't confirm that with actual data sheets,
http://www.lg.com/us/commercial/sola...lg-LG320N1C-G4 doesn't go into that detail.Leave a comment:
-
The even more recent brochure,
Green.com.au offers Aussie-owned solar panels, batteries, inverters, heat pumps & EV chargers. Full solar installation services for homes & businesses.
says the new Neon 2 modules (like LG320) do use antireflective glass.
But I can't confirm that with actual data sheets,
http://www.lg.com/us/commercial/sola...lg-LG320N1C-G4 doesn't go into that detail.Leave a comment:
-
Thanks for the link. The info it contains makes it clear that LG treats the individual cells with an ARC. The expectation from the HOA is that the cover glass must also have an ARC, and I can't uncover anything to that effect - except for the old brochure that I found at Nordic Solar: (page 2, Benefit 3)LG does use and apply an AR (Anti Reflective Coating) or anti glare in their manufacturing - I am sure you can find more articles if you dig deeper too.
http://www.lg.com/us/commercial/sola...y/cell-process
Leave a comment:
-
LG does use and apply an AR (Anti Reflective Coating) or anti glare in their manufacturing - I am sure you can find more articles if you dig deeper too.
Leave a comment:
-
Thanks for the links. I ran across them earlier this week when my hours (days?) of investigation started. I also found this technical report on glint & glare, completed by POWER Engineers, for the Panoche Valley Solar Farm Project:A bit more on solar panels and airports in the US:
http://www.solarindustrymag.com/issu...re_Factor.html
https://share.sandia.gov/phlux
http://www.cosb.us/Solargen/feir/apps/app10.pdf
All interesting reading, if only the HOA thought it applied. You're right... they seem to be intent on finding a way to say "no". I believe that evidence from LG, or other authoritative source, of anti-reflection (anti-glare) would do it.Leave a comment:
-
A bit more on solar panels and airports in the US:
http://www.solarindustrymag.com/issu...re_Factor.html
Leave a comment:
-
I'm in Colorado and we have a similar State Statute. However, there's a "safety" clause that gums-up the works and a pilot blinded by glare would qualify. There's been quite a lot of research on panels v airports. In fact, an Australian study mentions Denver International and that there really isn't a problem.They seem to be looking for an excuse to say "no".
What state do you live in? In California, at least, they can't just say no:
http://www.gosolarcalifornia.ca.gov/...ics/rights.php
Leave a comment:
-
ohhh, I was a pilot, I guess I can see that could be an issue although I don't recall it ever being one with panels. Glass office buildings definitely, like around SNA.In their minds "High transmission" doesn't equate to "anti-reflective" or "anti-glare". It's an airpark, with lots of takeoff & landing activity, so the concern is understandable. That, coupled with board members that don't quite get the difference between "glint" and "glare", and their overly active control issues, makes for a delicate approval process.Leave a comment:
Copyright © 2014 SolarReviews All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 6.1.3
Copyright © 2026 MH Sub I, LLC dba vBulletin. All rights reserved.
Copyright © 2026 MH Sub I, LLC dba vBulletin. All rights reserved.
All times are GMT-5. This page was generated at 09:06 AM.
Leave a comment: